Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need help choosing welder.
- - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-08-2003 01:52
I pretty much mastered the gas welding process and I want to try my hands on tig welding...I know there is a lot of different bells and whistles that go along a tig machine including an argon bottle which I've already priced...but what is a good beginners Tig Welder that can weld 1/4 inch carbon steel.....i would also like to weld aluminum as well....I know it's going to be around the 1,000 dollar range but i think tig welding is a wonderful and neat process...tig is able to produce really pretty beads and I am just dying to get my hands on one...if someone could give me a clue and a suggested price on the gear I will need I will really appreciate it.
Parent - By ScottV (**) Date 08-08-2003 02:43
Mark,at $1000.00 it really cuts down on what you can get.When you said aluminum, the price went up above that.To me the very best deal is the Thermal-arc 185.It cost $1700.00,but it's worth every penny.The Miller econotig is about $1200.00,and it can work somewhat.It's just you really get ten times the machine for $500.00 more.Even the dc only 150 Miller maxstar is about $1400.00,and it only has lift arc.I would maybe be tempted to look used, for a much more capable machine in your price range.

Go demo a few machines then you will have a better idea of what the differences are.Don't forget to try the Thermal-arc prowave 185,Then you just might want to wait tell you can get more cash.

The Thermal-arc 185,Miller econotig,Miller syncrowave 180,Lincoln 175,Esab 161 all come with everything you need,except the bottle,gloves,helmet.They all will do the job,but some much better or easier than others.
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-08-2003 18:51
I just found out a good deal on argon at the local supply shop...I can buy a 245 cf argon bottle for 200 and something to own not rent..even i couldn't even believe it but I was kinda looking at the maxstar 200 and 300 series...they're real nice welders but I am going to have to shell out an extra thousand dollars though....and what would be a good tig torch and flow meter along with the different accesories for the welder like foot pedal...I want to have the top of the line equipment for my shop.
Parent - By BillC (**) Date 08-08-2003 19:21
Mark, the Miller Maxstars are DC only. You have to go with the Dynasty series to get the AC you need for aluminum, assuming you want to stay with inverters.
Parent - - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 08-09-2003 00:08

I think that there's a lot of "everyone-likes-what-they-bought-if-its-too-expensive-not-to-like-it" in the TIG welding world. I just went through this process myself and ended up with an Lincoln Invertec V205T -- but it costs like $2700 with pedal, tank, etc. If you can get by with a (massive) non-inverter unit you can go a lot cheaper. I really like this Invertec, and the local welding place let me pay for it in installments, which was nice (and essential!).

My question to those of you who know TIG is whether a square-wave machine is that much better for aluminum. The invertec is AC but not square wave.

I have NEVER heard anyone say that they did not like whatever TIG they bought, however, so I'm probably just in the same rut.

Good luck!
Chris
Parent - By ScottV (**) Date 08-09-2003 06:04
Chris,those are nice machines.Your machine has three waves to it.I think it's a true squarewave machine,but maybe they don't call it that.I know has a triangle wave,and also the old style sinewave.That's for the few people that prefer the old stlye arc like they learned on.From what my friend told me,those Lincolns have the closest arc on ac to my Thermal-arc prowave 300 except the 300 dynasty is very similar.He has welded with the Dynasty 300,200,Lincoln 205 T,Thermal-arc 300/185,Esab 161.

I have welded with the Thermal-arc 185,and it's about the same on dc as my Thermal 300.On ac there is a difference,it's not quite as smooth.It is great none the less,and it probably does not matter one bit.It's kind of gots a little edge to the sound of the arc.It costs about $1700.00,and I would be happy with one.In fact I would be happy with almost all of them.Except the Esab 161.The Thermal is just way beyond that machine in features,and other things.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need help choosing welder.