Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / smaw machine
- - By atramsdell (*) Date 10-14-2009 04:15
I'm in the market for a stick welding machine, its my first one and I dont really want to spend over a thousand dollars i'd rather find something for like 500 if i could. I'd like get a miller or a lincoln but i was looking around for some recomendations...
I wont be using it to weld incredibly thick metal just average stuff
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-14-2009 05:22
A good ole (new) Lincoln Idealarc 225 or 250 is right up your alley.   They are commonly refereed to as "tombstone" welders because they are shaped like one.   They can be had brand new for close to $500 and will weld both AC and DC.   They can run either 120v or 220 volt and after they are broke in a bit they weld very smooth for the price.   You can also turn one of these into a Tig machine with a bit of extra accessories later down the road.    They are very solid and reliable, I have seen them used heavily in commercial shops and they just keep running.

For 500 you could probably find a much nicer machine used...but you would need to know a bit about them to make your money work for you to maximum effect.

Good luck
TOmmy
Parent - - By atramsdell (*) Date 10-15-2009 22:36
i kinda checked out the ac/dc 225 tombstone and i was wondering if there is a way to add longer leads onto the 11foot lead it comes with or if i'd have to splice in more cable somehow. so basically do you happen to know if i can add more leads onto a tombstone setup
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-15-2009 23:58
Hello atramsdell, there are plenty of choices of cable connectors to add sections of lead to one of these machines. Take a trip down to one of your area welding suppliers and they can likely hook you up with the correct connectors and help you with sizing cables as well. Do consider that this machine has relatively small cables coming out of it to begin with and you won't want to add really long cables to it when welding long distances away from it. Also, speak to your welding instructors and they can likely give you some great suggestions on how to deal with the short lead issues on these machines. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 10-16-2009 18:26
There is another way to go for short leads. Just put a longer power cord on it and build a cart or put it on a two wheel dolly. I've done both. the advantage is you can build a bottle bracket for tig welding also, or just make a extention cord. They also make cords for 220V applications as well. Just my 2 cents
Parent - - By atramsdell (*) Date 10-16-2009 18:41
if a machine doesnt have a place for the leads to plug in and out and just are hooked right up, can i modify to put thicker leads on. A longer power cord is a good idea for sure though
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-16-2009 19:52
Welding supplies have cable plugs indivdual or sets for several cable sizes.  Cut and strip the existing cables for plugs next to the cover or where ever you want them in middle.  They make plugs can fit in holes on welder case too.  Then it's easy to add more cable too.  Something like #6 or #4 covered cord and 50 or 60 amp plug for 220V inlet.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-16-2009 19:10
Hello Matthew, certainly a very good suggestion for an additional way to deal with his issue. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 10-19-2009 00:17
the advantage is that you can drag it in a truck or trailer then take it off in a plant or whatever and hook up to their power source. when your leads on your truck just will not reach from the outside you have an alternative. Again just my two cents
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-17-2009 19:23
Yea over the years they cut costs and took away the lugs on the outside of the case.   The leads are pretty small diameter as well.  The diameter is too small to extend them out very long.   I would just crack open the case and install a better set of leads (or have the welding supply do it for you), I am pretty sure that it would not be hard to install outside lugs on the machine either.   Or as mentioned here, simply extend the power cable / run a proper extension with a cart to roll around on, BE SURE to use the right gauge of cord here (do not skimp) with a good industrial rubber sleeve.   Your local welding supply will have everything you need to do this and can price your options to you.  But as far as a cart for the machine goes....go get some scrap steel and build your own, good first project to do with it.
Parent - By atramsdell (*) Date 10-18-2009 18:45
that settles it. now i just have to go to MaineOxy and spend some cash.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-14-2009 05:54
Read this thread in this section: http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=22799 . All the comments there are valid for You too.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / smaw machine