Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS vs ASME
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By SammyShine (**) Date 10-15-2009 19:39
We usually deal with Jobs that require AWS requirements. Our new customer's requirements are to ASME requirements. The job we are bidding refers to ASME SECTION IX. Does any one know, in general, are the ASME more stringent?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-15-2009 22:54
They're two different things. ASME IX applies to vessels (either pressurized, such as petrochemical towers, or at atmospheric pressure, such as storage tanks) and piping other than oil and gas pipelines. AWS applies to structural steel.
So, you can't compare apples with oranges.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 10-15-2009 23:33
I agree with G.S.
Also keep in mind that section 9 only applies to welder and procedure qualifications and not necessarily to the actual parts that you will be fabricating. Depending on what your working on another section of ASME will likely be specified. In "general" IMHO section 9 is easier for welders to qualify to, but harder when it comes to welding procedures. If at all possible look into SWPS in Annex E and see if any apply to the joints you will be welding. If you can use them buy them from AWS it is almost always significantly cheaper than qualifying your own, make sure to check with the engineer first though. Hope this helps.
Parent - By SammyShine (**) Date 10-16-2009 02:50
pataterchip QUOTE "section 9 only applies to welder and procedure qualifications and not necessarily to the actual parts that you will be fabricating. "

We understand - but of course that's where we have to start.

pataterchip QUOTE "Depending on what your working on another section of ASME will likely be specified"

I am SURE you are right and that is definitely information that we need to know.

pataterchip QUOTE " IMHO section 9 is easier for welders to qualify to, but harder when it comes to welding procedures."
This is definitely good information....much appreciated

pataterchip QUOTE "Hope this helps. "

You have been incredibly helpful...Thank YOU
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-18-2009 22:09
Remember, when using a SWPS you need to qualify one SWPS and document the results on a form QW-485 is suggested. Without documentation and testing of the coupon, the SWPS cannot be used.
Anyone contemplating using SWPS should look over this article.
http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/articles/Sage%20Advice%20on%20SWPSs.pdf
Parent - - By SammyShine (**) Date 10-16-2009 02:42
Thanks for your response.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-16-2009 03:34
AWS makes use of prequalified WPSs when possible to minimize the cost and effort required to qualify the welding procedures used for production welding. ASME, in general, requires the fabricator/contractor to demonstrate and to verify the proposed WPS will develop the mechanical properties required by the code.

Qualifying a WPS takes time and money. Many companies hire consultants familar with the process of qualifying the WPS to expedite the process and to minimize false starts and wasted effort. It takes experience to write a WPS that meets the requirements of the applicable code and one that is useful to the welder.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By SammyShine (**) Date 10-16-2009 03:38
As always Al - you have supplied very useful information. Thank you!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-16-2009 04:16
Thanks Sam.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-16-2009 03:38
pataterchip QUOTE " IMHO section 9 is easier for welders to qualify to, but harder when it comes to welding procedures."

I tend to disagree. 

AWS is much more dogmatic and includes many more essential variables when it comes to procedure qualification than does ASME IX.

Good comments from the others.  You should definately note the comment that other sections of ASME will indicate acceptance criteria because if you inspect your work to ASME IX I can almost guarentee your customer (if they have a clue) will reject your inspections.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-16-2009 14:11 Edited 10-16-2009 14:14
Well said Jon! There's way more to working, and welding qualification, or other equally important factors via ASME than just Section IX! ;) It's too bad that many are misled into thinking otherwise IMHO! ;) Always Sometimes Maybe Eventually = ASME! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-16-2009 19:11
I'll take the liberty of insisting on the following:
If you have to weld a vessel, either pressurized (for example a liquified chlorine storage tank) or atmospheric (for example a crude oil storage tank) or a pressure piping (for example a boiler feedwater piping), you MUST qualify both the welder and the procedure to ASME IX. You can not make the welds with a welder and following a procedure that have been qualified to AWS D.1.
On the other hand, if you have to weld structural steel (for example the one that belongs to a shopping mall), you MUST qualify both the welder and procedure to AWS D.1. You can not make the welds with a welder and following a procedure that have been qualified to ASME IX.
You can not chose the standard that's more convenient to you because it's easier to follow, you must follow the standard that is applicable, whether you like it or not.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 10-17-2009 01:16
Some of the SWPS by the AWS can also be applicable for ASME work as well
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-17-2009 04:45
Almost all of the SWPS may be used for ASME works.  Looking at this from a distance, the AWS B2.1 Committee has had joint ASME Members for many, many years now.  B2.1 now looks and acts very similar to ASME IX.  One might speculate that eventually, B2.1 might replace ASME IX (think in terms of AWS A5 filler metal specs that ASME leases rights to publish as ASME Section II, Part A Code).  Further down the line, certainly not within MY working lifetme, all welding qualifications will likely fall under one of the various ISO Standards that have been in development for many years, in which BOTH AWS and ASME share voting rights.

As Giovanni mentions, ASME works REQUIRE ASME qualifications but another thing to keep in mind is ASME IX qualification (Procedures) MUST be used in conjunction with the ASME constructing code, which may add, delete or modify requirements given within ASME IX.  Clear as mud for a novice but the kind of stuff that keeps us "old times" employable! :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-17-2009 15:02
To even think AWS would even consider dummying down and adopting the minimalist ways of ASME saddens my heart. The welder practitioner has it hard enough as it is without being provided a WPS that is next to useless. P number; "Huh?", A number; "Huh?", electrode diameter: "3/32 to 3/16?". Give them some useful information in the WPS they can use and then it will become a useful work instruction. Sorry, I forgot myself for a moment and forgot that in the "ASME world" the WPS is intended to be useful to the engineer that doesn't actually have to use it.

ASME and AWS SWPS - useless dribble for the most part. Need examples?

Now that the sarcasm has your attention it time to address the real issues.

Now that I have that off my chest and I have every ASME member up in arms, I have to be fair and say it is up to the welding consultant to write the WPS with the end user in mind, e.g., the welder. The document has to address the minimum requirements of the applicable code, but it also has to provide the welder with sufficient information to produce a weld that meets the requirements of the welding standard. In that respect the AWS SWPSs (too much ASME influence?) and many other WPSs fall short. That is why many WPSs simply sit and collect dust. Why waste the welder's time reading useless dribble.

It's like they taught us in school; write for the audience that will be reading the "composition". If it is a children's book, don't write it for an adult. If it is a "How to" book, write it for the homeowner that isn't a skilled mechanic. If it is a "Cook" book, write it using a style the user can read, writing it using chemical terminology isn't going to make a useful resource for the average homemaker. The WPS, be it for AWS, ASME, or a military application still has to be written with the end user in mind and it should be a useful resource the welder can use.

Rather than getting a hair across their butts and getting defensive (as happens all too often) those people tasked with writing welding instructions should forget their ego and talk to the welders on the production floor to find out what information they (the welders) need to do their job properly. It isn't the engineer that has to read and "follow" the WPS, the welder does and that point is often overlooked by the standard or code. Too many codes and welding standards are written by engineers that forget who the end user is. Too many WPS are written without recognizing who the end user is.

I could go on, but I have to go watch my granddaughter play a game of soccer.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-17-2009 16:20
Here is My idea of one type of Welding Procedure.

This WPS is used for welding of 2" OD to 4" OD using SMAW.

The joint shall be a single vee groove with an inculded angle of 60 to 75 degrees with a root face of no more than 3/32" and a maximum root opening of 1/8".

It should be noted that root face, groove angle and root opening are related. Using a Max Root opening, Max Groove angle and Min root face can lead to difficulties in welding. For highly restrainined joints in piping systems it is suggested to verify the root opening that can be used. This will allow the welder to tailor the groove angle and root face for optimium weldability. Base metal thickness may also affect the ability to weld the root pass.

The base metal may be any Carbon Steel material as indicated by the material specification. Essentially any plain carbon steel may be welded. The thickness may be 3/16" up to 1/2". See attached material list.

The material shall be a minimum of 60 degrees F prior to staring to tack.

All tacks shall be inspected on the internal surfaces prior to tying in the rest of the root pass. Defective tacks shall be removed prior to welding.

The root pass shall be welded using 3/32" or 1/8" E6010. The 3/32" electrodes should be used on materials 2 to 3 inches in diameter and 1/8" for larger sizes. This may be modified at the discretion of the welder. Suggested settings for electrodes shall be in accordance with the electrode manufacturer. Side to side manipulation shall be limited to 1/2 of the rod diameter. Should the keyhole grow beyond the electrode core wire and flux diameter, welding shall stop and lower electrical setting used. Cooling the joint may also help.
Its is suggested that the root pass be deposited using a setting that allows a flat to slightly convex internal bead contour. All Starts and stops including tacks shall be tapered with a grinder, file or other means too allow for a good tie in. It is suggested that the most difficult side of the joint be welded 1st to allow the internal surface to be viewed through the unwelded joint. Whenever possible, the beads should be deposited in opposing 90 degree segments to minimize angular distortion.

A 2nd pass shall be deposited using 3/32" E7018 at 70 to 90 amps. Groove Angle, thickness of root pass, and base metal thickness should be considered prior to setting the amperage. Remaining passes may be welded using 3/32" or 1/8" 7018 at the discretion of the welder. It is suggested that 3/32" electrodes be used for 2 to 3 inch joints and 1/8" for larger sizes. All 7018 shall be H4 or H* suffix and shall be stored in a heated storage container at a minimum of 250 degrees F. Electrodes shall not be out of the container for longer than 1 hour prior to use. At no time should a single layer thickness exceed 3/16" for 3/32" electrodes or 1/4" for 1/8" Electrodes. Care should be taken when welding towards the top of a horizontal run of pipe to assure that an adequate electrode travel angle exists to prevent slag from being trapped.

All passes shall be completely removed of slag, undercut, and sharp valleys created by convex beads prior to depositing subsequent layers. Porosity at starts shall be removed by grinding or filing. During welding, the maximum temperature of the base metal shall not be greater  than 600 degrees F.

Upon completeion of the weld, the joint shall be inspected for undercut, overlap, porosity, and cracks. The weld shall be flush with the joint and not greater than 1/8" reinforcemnt.

...... Blah Blah   . Going to a band competition that my daughter is in. But the above "TO ME" seems easier to read than the tabular, spread out, paper wasting things I have seen before. It could be more or less detailed, written in a step by step format etc.  However the "standard" format that has always been used should be kept for those that dont understand what I was talking about. I have never used the above but have often thought about it.

Gerald
www.weldingdata.com
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-17-2009 16:41
Are you writing a book or a WPS?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-17-2009 16:52
Just showing an example of something that is different from the typical "Please the code, inspectors, and engineers" format that I am used to seeing. You know, food for thought kinda stuff.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-17-2009 17:11
Gerald! Don't pay him any mind... He's just "master-baiting" again and is rather saddened that no one will play with him anymore!!! ;) :) :) Farting too much for you??? :) ;);)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-17-2009 17:25
Wrong (again)

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-17-2009 18:48
Okay then, let me ask you this... Where do you see a book's worth of explanation in Gerald's example of how a WPS should be more end user friendly 3.???? Because if you take all of what he wrote in his example, it will easily fit within a one page document!!! No, there isn't anything even close to a book's worth of information in Gerald's explanation so, why is it that you interpret it as such?

Henry
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-17-2009 20:34
Pardon.
I should have guessed that you would comment my reply.

My reason for wrting "Are you writing a book" was meant to illustrate that Gerald was using to many words instead of just writing the range of parameters.
As an example, there is no need to write the visual criteria on the WPS.

"The root pass shall be welded using 3/32" or 1/8" E6010. The 3/32" electrodes should be used on materials 2 to 3 inches in diameter and 1/8" for larger sizes. This may be modified at the discretion of the welder"

There is nothing that shall be modified at the discretion of the welder, he has to follow, what is written, tested and approved - EOD.

Just for your information, I see you have started to call me 3.???, which is fine by me but in case I will get banned and come back again, I might call me 570 Inspector.
You see, first I called myself 3.1 Inspector, during that time I passed the CSWIP 3.2 course, which I also wrote in my signature. Later I got banned by ross and when I created a new name, which is 3.2 Inspector.
CSWIP has no 3.3 Inspector certifications, which is why I am thinking about the 570 Inspector name, or would 510 suit me better?

Hopefully it wont be needed.

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-17-2009 21:42
Well, if it is written in the WPS and it is approved by the EOR then the welder can use their discretion since the welder is depositing the weld and NOT the engineer, or the inspector which if they do have sufficient welding experience would understand the relevance of the note so, your point is weak at best... As far as you last comment is concerned...If you would just show some respect towards most of the other folks in here whom you've had problems with also... You might in return, notice more welcome responses from most - if not all of us.

Also, most of us work to AWS, API and ASME codes but, really are not that familiar with the code or practices you are referring to so, you need to understand that this forum is thinking also along those lines, and you should not react negatively towards anyone who is thinking along the lines of AWS, API or ASME as opposed to European norms... It's like the old saying: "When in Rome act as if..." I mean most Europeans cannot stand when Americans go over there, and act as if they own the country so, you should also behave yourself while you're in here - CAPECHE??? Then everyone will learn to get along with each other resulting in: "COOM-BIYA"!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-18-2009 06:37
Which code do I refer to Henry?
I really do think I show respect to most of the members here.

If the EOR allows the welder to decide any "critical" issues on the WPS, he should no longer be EOR.
As you don't comment my issue with stating the visual criteria on the WPS I take it as you agree with me, thats a start :)

It is interesting how you always turn the debate in to a US - Europe thing, was it my "Less re-work then anywhere else in the world" thread that pissed you off that much?

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2009 08:53
No 3? You can't understand because you are in denial so, I'm not even going to attempt to describe to you why most folks in here really do not like your comments as I've become privvy to find out over some time, and since you still think that you have done nothing wrong or have not said anything, derogatory, insulting, or shown a total lack of respect towards most fellow participants then, I'll just sit back and watch yourself dig your own grave since you have already have proven yourself to be who you really are anyway... So,there's no need to go out of my way any longer to show your true colors so to speak, since you're doing such a wonderful job of it all by yourself ;)

It's a shame because I really thought for a moment that there was some hope for you... Oh well!!! It just goes to show that some people just don't get it and cannot be rehabilitated! Too bad.

Henry
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-18-2009 09:19
I asked a few simple questions.....and you write a reply such as this.
At least I argue why I write what I write, where as you - old bitter man - always turn the discussion in a different way.

Why can't you back up your opinions and try to explain me, why I am so wrong as you say?
In my previous post I asked you two simple questions, as I got the impression that we disagreed in those two matters.

Where did I refer to european codes?
Why do you think it is a good idea to have the visual criteria listed on the WPS?

If you have any b@lls left in your pants, just answer these two questions, I really would like your opinion and outstanding expertise.

I will eat a snickers while I wait.

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2009 16:51 Edited 10-18-2009 16:53
It's really simple... If you give the welder as much info as possible to help them as much as possible to produce a weld deposit that is desirable to both the inspector as well as the negineer of record then more than likely the deposits that the welders produce will  be in the described manner as written in the
WPS...

There is no required way to wirte a WPS according to AWS or ASME... there are recommended formats and sugestions to that effect but, there isn't any one such mandatory required format that the procedure writer must adhere to... Now I don't know if this is also true with EN codes but since you asked the question and since you wrote earlier that you got your CSWIP,

I believe that was for me reason enough to read that you are probably thinking along those lines and not because you are from Europe because I personally couldn't care less where you are from if you really want to know!!!

Finally, as far as B@lls are concerned, you wish you had my pair!!! Be grateful that you are young and healthy now because when old age hits you, I have a really good feeling that you will suffer even more than I have because I don't know if you know this or not but, God has a very wierd sense of humor especially for folks like yourself so, If I were you, I would start begging for forgiveness right now!!!
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-18-2009 17:13
Impressive....
You managed to answer 1 out of 2 questions

Why do you think it is a good idea to have the visual criteria listed on the WPS?

Let me worry about my health, and I will let you worry about yours.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2009 17:27
Guilty conscious??? Hmmm, I see I touched a nerve! ;) ;) ;) Maybe if you re=read my response backwards, you will then be able to notice that I indeed answered both so, stop you Master-baiting already!!! Remember that this a family friendly forum so, if you got anything else derogatory to say then go to the Off Topic Bar & Grill so that Ross doesn't have to put this mostly informative thread in there because of your mischief and total lack of etiquette - CAPECHE???
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-18-2009 17:35
Once again you make things up :)

Please answer in CLEAR words; Do you think the visual criteria should be listed on the WPS

"anything else derogatory to say" Can you give me an example?
Please stick to facts this time old fart.

Time for another snickers, while I wait.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2009 17:44 Edited 10-18-2009 17:47
Somebody please take away the shovel 3? is using to bury himself with!!! LOL!!! It's really starting to look ugly for him and he just doesn't realize how deep he's burying himself with his constant and obvious examples of such crude behavior... It's shame watching someone self-destruct right before your very eyes especially when they did even though it was rare, show some potential... What a waste!!! LOL!!! :) :) :) I hope you have many snickers and if you run out, you can always go out and trick or treat on Halloween but, you don't need to put a costume on!!! :) :) :)
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-18-2009 17:48
I take as you can't answer the question :)
Happy fart breathing.

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2009 17:57
Well then since it's obvious that you cannot comprehend my answers to your previous questions then, give us your reasons because you do not seem to offer anything except ignorance and many other behaviors which I will defer to since I really would prefer to keep this thread in the certification section. But if you think that I'm going to fall for you childish baiting, you might as well buy some snicker stock because you will be eating a whole boat load of them before I even consider going along with your lousy song and dance!
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-18-2009 17:59
I take note that you cant answer a simple question.

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2009 18:35
I already did, yet you cannot comprehend it which is something I have no control over... All I can do is to suggest that you re-read my initial response and hopefully you wil become enlightened if it is at all possible for you to do such a thing as simple as that!!! Hmmm, I wouldn't bet on it! ROTFLMAO!!! :) :) :)
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-18-2009 19:52
You are easy to manipulate....thanks for the laugh :)

Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2009 19:58
I enjoyed it even more!!! especially reading your responses which made me laugh so hard I thought I farted!!! ROTFLMAO!!! What the heck, you did after all earn your nickname!!!
What? You say you don't remember?? Who's manipulating who??? ROTFLMFAO ONCE Again!!!! :) :) :) :) :)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-18-2009 21:15
"To give the welder as much info as possible to help them as much as possible to produce a weld deposit that is desirable"

DAMN, it is not a puzzle.

It is not required but in many instances it may very well be a good idea. I know of many a good welder that has no clue what the visual requirements are and have benifited solely from being given a copy of table 6.1 out of AWS D1.1

Your question was answered but it appears you just do not want to see it. He managed to answer both of your questions but you do not seem to be able to manage to let it go.

This back and forth BS is going way over board and getting old really fast.

Get over it. If you disagree, that is your option but at some point you have to just let it go.

I think you should leave Henry too sniff farts and Henry should leave you in your life of denial.

Of course what do I know. I found it harder to master tig than to master mig so I must just be whacked. :-)

"Can't we all just get along???"

jrw159
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-19-2009 03:47
Of course what do I know. I found it harder to master tig than to master mig so I must just be whacked.

On pipes subject to NDT, or farm tools subject to rust?

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-17-2009 16:54
In other words, how can you give someone a recipe to make something from it if they cannot even understand what is written in the recipe???
That about sums it up in my eyes - PLAIN AND SIMPLE IS THE ONLY WAY FOR FOLKS TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IS WRITTEN SINCE WE ALL CANNOT READ EACH OTHERS MINDS!!!

Ah Yes! but then there are too many ignoramisus, dim-witted, dorks who actually think that what they write is actually "cool" and, who claim they do consider others while looking at themselves in the mirror for what seems to be an extensive amount of time, to be the one's who write this sort of blather in what are considered in their own minds, and only written for their own minds, forget everyone else because that just takes too much time darn it!!! these are the considerations of most folks who write these poor excuses for what are known as recipes, or more specifically - Welding Procedure Specifications -Give me a break!!! Thank you Al for constantly bringing up this often dismissed reality in our world and reminding the rest of us just how self centered some of can be in how we communicate on paper which basically is terrible IMHO!!! They ought to be ashamed of themselves for cryin out loud!!!:) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-17-2009 17:28
What is wrong with a Welding Procedure Specification?
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 10-17-2009 17:06
I would think anybody with a little welding experience could take that WPS and make a good weld with it. That is what a welding procedure is supposed to do isn't it pipewelder_1999.

M.G.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-17-2009 17:17
Actually in many cases a professional welder can do it without the wps. And in many industries they probably do.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-17-2009 17:34
"During welding, the maximum temperature of the base metal shall not be greater  than 600 degrees F"
How much is 600F in C?

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-17-2009 19:51 Edited 10-18-2009 03:29
I figured my response would stir the pot. We haven't had a really good discussion going for a couple of weeks. I thought it was time to see what other people have to say on the subject.

I get tired of trying to have an intelligent conversation with the idiot in the mirror. This is the place to go to get a good feel for what's happening in the real world.

I understand where Henry and Gerald are coming from. I tend to agree that the "suggested" formats or the sample formats included in the codes are insufficient for the job intended, but I also understand that they can be a useful starting point for someone without experience in writing a WPS. I stopped using the formats included in D1.1, B2.1, or ASME Section IX long ago. I've had “Welding Engineer Wanabes” go into hysterics because the format I elect to use isn't what they are accustom to seeing. I have one shipyard that is attempting to have their vendors use a "cookie cutter" format because it makes their job easier. While I understand their consternation with having to deal with multiple formats, they tend to forget the WPS is written for the welder, not the engineer that is reviewing it.

I have reviewed WPSs that used a “narrative” to address the issues encountered by the welder on every job, items such as precleaning, interpass cleaning, cleaning the completed weld, electrode storage, etc. They are used to “support” a “technique sheet” that most of us would recognize as the WPS.

Other companies adopt a system of WPSs or a series of WPSs for each joint configuration. They provide their welders with a thick notebook/binder with all the WPSs that are used on the current job or the next. It becomes a paperwork nightmare when it comes time to revise an individual WPS because they have to make sure the old WPS is removed and replaced with the latest revision.

Some of my clients that have entered the computer age have all the WPSs on the main frame where they can be accessed and printed out by the welder when they are needed.

What’s my point? I’m not sure there is a point other than the fact that the person writing the WPS has to have an understanding of what information is needed by the welder while still complying with the applicable code. I’m sorry to say there are few engineers that understand or take the time and effort required to understand the customer’s needs. That customer should be the welder. The welder is the end user even if he or she isn’t signing the check.

I’ve encountered many cases where the consultant turned over the welding documentation to a client with little or no explanation of what it is, how to read it, or how to use it. It isn’t enough for the “consultant” to know what the information means, the client also has to understand what it all means or it becomes more paperwork containing nothing but more useless dribble. Blindly filling in the blanks on the “cookie cutter” forms may satisfy the person that doesn’t have to use them, but they provide little if any useful information to the welder.

The WPS should promote consist results on the production floor. The proof that the WPS is being read and followed is to go to the production floor and ask the welder where are the WPSs? It will amaze you how many don’t know the answer. Then ask the welder a few simple questions to see if he even knows where the information is listed on the WPS or what it means.

Let’s be clear, I am not shooting my barbed arrows at ASME alone. Many of my comments apply equally to all of the welding standards we encounter, but ASME is so easy to shoot at because it offers the largest target. That being the case, let’s query the welder.

The WPS lists the P number for the base metal. The question to ask is, “What is the P number of the material you are welding? Another question might be, “This length of pipe is marked as a meeting ASME A312 type 321. What is the P number and which WPS is used to weld it?”

Filler metals are listed by the filler metal specification. The question to ask is, “What electrode are you using? What filler metal specification does it meet?”

The joint detail lists “All grooves and fillets”, so the question to ask is, “What is the groove angle of that butt joint you’re welding and what is the tolerance?”

The welder is using a SMAW electrode and the weave bead technique is being employed. The question to ask is, “What is the maximum width of the weld bead using that particular electrode and what is the range for the amperage for the diameter being used?” 

The list of questions goes on and on and the responses from most welders will be depressing if they have nothing more to refer to than an ill written WPS. Is it no wonder many welders simply chose to ignore them? In too many cases it is fortunate they do ignore them.

The last question to ask your self is, “Does the information contained in the WPS meet the intended objectives or does it fulfill its intended purpose?” If the honest answer is no, it doesn’t because the WPS isn’t in a format the welder can use or it doesn’t contain the information the welder needs, it serves no useful purpose. Someone wasted their time and money on more useless paperwork.

Which is more difficult to work with, AWS or ASME? From the welders standpoint, the WPS written to meet AWS D1.1 requirements will provide more useful information to the welder than one written to meet ASME Section IX and the associated construction code, i.e., Section I, Section VIII, or B31.X. Notice I haven’t said anything good about the AWS SWPSs.

Which one is more expensive to work with? Based on the fact that for the most part the contractor will have to go through the exercise of qualifying the WPS, while AWS D1.1 utilizes prequalified WPSs, ASME is more expensive.

Which one is more stringent with regards to acceptance criteria for visual and other forms of NDT? In general you will find AWS criteria more stringent, particularly if fatigue or cyclic service requirements have to be met.

Which code is more stringent with regards to welder qualification? Hands down, no question about it, AWS D1.1 is more stringent than ASME Section IX when bend tests are used to evaluate the soundness of the test coupon.  Consider the following:

Undercut – AWS D1.1 - 1/32 inch              ASME Section IX – not addressed
Face Reinf. – AWS D1.1 - 1/8 inch            ASME Section IX – not addressed
Root Concavity (single sided groove welds) 
AWS - 1/16 inch  ASME – not addressed
Bend tests – AWS nothing larger than 1/8 inch plus the sum can’t exceed 3/8 inch
ASME – no single defect larger than 1/8 inch, no limit on total number of defects.

Which code is better? There is no “better” code from the welder’s standpoint nor from the inspector’s standpoint. The code is what the code is. We, the minions in the trenches, are simply tasked with meeting the applicable requirements. Give us a WPS that helps us do so in a meaningful way.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-17-2009 20:19
Why do you think I quoted "During welding, the maximum temperature of the base metal shall not be greater  than 600 degrees F"

I agree that the WPS is written for the welder, but it is also written for the engineer, inspector or whoever is assigned to review the WPS.
He needs information about preheat, interpass and filler selection amongst other things...PWHT comes to mind.

I am often on projects with high temperature materials, USC boilers.
Very often my client has restrictions on the things I mentioned above, not because he has stocks in the required filler material manufactor, but because he has tested this particular rod/wire.

Another thing is, as part of the welders qualifiation test, he should also be tested in his general knowledge, including how to read a wps!
Before any welder on a project where am the responsible inspector even strikes the arc on P91/92 or X20 he has passed a small test, including how to read a specific test.

If a welder cant read and follow a WPS, he should not be welding. I honestly think that it is a very fair requirement.

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-17-2009 20:57 Edited 10-18-2009 03:32
It goes back to the idea of a well written WPS that provides meaningful information to the welder.

As for the quote you included, "During welding, the maximum temperature of the base metal shall not be greater than 600 degrees F." I had an inspector reject one of my welds based on a similar requirement listed in the WPS. I handed my welding hood to him and told him to bring out the hot glue guns because there would be no more welding on that project.

He looked totally astonished and blubbered something incoherent. Something about his demands being totally in line with standard practice, blah, blah, blah!

Well, let's step back a minute and tell the story from the beginning. I was happily burning rod when "Numbskull" comes along and sticks his "temperature indicating crayon" into the weld crater of the weld bead I just finished. The slag was still soft. The end of the crayon melted and started to burn.

"What the hell are you doing? What kind of Jackasx are you?" You could tell we really hit it off and were soon to be "best friends".

"I'm checking your interpass temperature!" was his reply, "And you're way over the maximum IPT of the WPS!"

"No shxt!" I shot back!

"This weld and all that you've welded are rejected!" he sputtered.

About this time my "helper", a veteran of the Vietnam conflict who spent 18 months in the hospital at Portsmouth, NH took notice. "What's this dumbasx saying Al?"

"He just told me you and I have to cut out all these welded moments because I exceeded the IPT!" I said with a wink and a smile.

"Really?" was all he said. Looking at the inspector he said, "Come over here you pipsqueak! What's all this about?"

"We can't do anymore welding on this building, get the rest of the welders down here so we can get our money and hit a different job!" I told him.

"OK, I'll go get em!" he said.

Now the inspector is starting wonder what he did wrong, why are all the welders being called down, why are they all laying down their shields, am I going to get killed? The last question wasn't entirely unreasonable.

When everyone was gathered around I told them what had transpired and that we couldn't do anymore welding.

"I never said you couldn’t weld, I just rejected all your welds because you exceeded the IPT!" he explained.

I said, "How did you measure the IPT?"

He described what he did and there were a few murmurs to be heard from the group.

Then I asked the welders how hot did the metal have to get in order to make a weld?

"Damn hot", was the response.

I said, "You’re right, we have to exceed the melting point in order to obtain fusion and that is going to be well over the IPT every time!"

Everyone except the inspector was laughing. He says, "But you can't exceed the IPT listed on the WPS."

Then I asked, "When do you measure the IPT and where do you measure the IPT?"

Several of the fellas replied, "Off to the side of the groove next to where the next bead is started and just before striking the arc!"

"Right!  My welder know when and how to measure IPT, why don't you?" I shot at the inspector.

We all went back to welding and the inspector learned how to measure IPT.

The only welding standard that requires the welder to know anything more than how to run a bead is NAVSEA TP248. TP248 requires any welder that welds on Navy "stuff" to pass a written test before striking an arc. It is a great idea and you have my full support on that issue. However, it isn't just the welder that needs to be trained, the inspector, designer, and the engineer need to understand the fundamentals of welding just as much as the welder does.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-18-2009 06:59
Yes, the inspector must also have good skills.
Many inspectors are often put in positions, where they should not be.

One of my questions in my little test is the welder has to select a WPS for a given weld, I give him 3 different to chose from and 99% of the welders chose the correct one, that tells me that it is not that difficult.

I have also seen some contractors re-write their WPS' into a "welding instruction" where they have deleted all the kj and PWHT requirements......cool idea.
However, I also require that the welder has the original WPS during welding as I sometimes perform "production examination" in order to assure correct heat input.

Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-18-2009 12:43
Al
I am sure glad you stirred the pot, Made me contemplate more,
Thank You
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-18-2009 15:14
That's the goal of the Forum. It is a place to discuss ideas and make each of us think a little more about how we approach everyday problems and once in a while we even agree on things.

Best regards - Al  ;)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS vs ASME
1 2 Previous Next