Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.4 WPS qualification
- - By Duke (***) Date 10-12-2009 12:08
Does anyone know if labs can do macroetch on the remnants of tension test on a CJP figure 6.5B test assembly?  Contractor only wants to do 2 assemblies, and I'm trying to be frugal w/ clients funds.   I'd call the lab, but its 3 hrs till they open.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-12-2009 15:24
Duke

In My Opinion.....If there is undamaged and undeformed weld joint and base metal left from the specimens, it should be OK.

Joe Kane.
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 10-13-2009 21:13 Edited 10-13-2009 21:33
They submitted a D1.1 PQR form with intended variables for WPS... I don't think the lab will sign on the dotted line that 'welds were prepared and tested in accordance with the requirements of D1.1'  being that it is a rebar procedure, and I told the GC that I wouldn't either.  I told them that they will likely use this procedure in the future, and I'd hate for them to look foolish when some other inspector rejects their paperwork.  I also told them that they are free to take their testing elsewhere.  I am owners inspector, and this is an erector, they have no fab shop, and I don't think they weld much rebar.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-13-2009 22:57
That sounds like a safe answer.  The next inspector would blame you!
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 10-21-2009 12:50 Edited 10-21-2009 12:53
So, the erector is coming out to the site today, to perform the procedure qualification testing, and do the production welding ON THE SAME DAY!!!

I asked the GC, "what if the PQR fails"? Oh, cant we just weld some more test assemblies?  We are sending the assemblies out for pull and etch, cant get results until friday probably.
Are they really this stupid?
OK, lets recap... no WPS, I'm guessing welder will only be qualified IF and WHEN the PQR passes.  They are connecting a concrete shearwall to the bottom beam of a brace frame with 20 #10 bars CJP to bottom flange, and I'm just guessing that they want to pour concrete like, oh, tomorrow. (thursday)
To the GC's credit, after I informed them about their risk, they "wondered if we should have a talk" with the erector.  This contractor is not a small outfit... I am blown away.  of course,  cant stop them from doing anything...  
I really love my job on days like this
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 10-28-2009 21:45
Update...   Procedure testing went fine, pull and etch passed with flying colors, no production welding as of yet... I really do worry too much.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-28-2009 21:55
Just keep in mind, the dumber they are the more money you make because of the rework, repairs, reinspections, etc.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.4 WPS qualification