Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding inspector schools
- - By LongArc (**) Date 10-24-2009 20:18 Edited 10-24-2009 20:23
Im a 6G cirtified pipe welder. I worked under an R stamp on Cleaver brook boilers before that. I was laid off yesterday. I  Im thinking of swithching gears to become an welding inspector. I know theres AWS, API, and ASME. What are the differences form a the most basic level.  What are the pros and cons of each in pay, amount of education, cost, and the demand in the field. Thanks for your time.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-24-2009 22:52
In my *opinion*

Unless you are targeting an employer who is very specialized,   it would be wise to learn a broad variety of inspection diciplines.

Hopefully while you were in the R stamp shop you were able to be mentored by the experts there... Because having that stamp is no small accomplishment.  You may be well on your way as far as a solid foundation for the required knowledge and practical skills to be an inspector.

Most inspectors are at one time or another going to have to work with AWS, API and ASME codes as well as local and state jurisdictional stuff.

And for a time there is nothing at all wrong with doing both...  Lot's of CWI's are professional welders either for main bread or suppliments.
Parent - By Logan Pierce Date 11-06-2009 21:27
LongArc, i can start off by telling you that the API 1104 test is easier than the AWS D1.X exam. Dont get me wrong they both have there dificulties in there own respect and they both certify you as an inspector. It's just that if you get your API 1104 cert then try to do stuctural work your prospective employer may need you to obtain the D1.x before you get hired. However if you have your D1.x cert you'll be able to do  a much broader field of work that you are qualified for. If you are planning on pipe line inspection only the API 1104 test is the one you wil want to take.But why not have them all eventually.
best regards, fullmetal
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 11-07-2009 01:36
Long Arc
Lawrence answered your question.
Logan started saying something about API 1140 being easier, and how if you got into the structural your future boss might want you to obtain the D1.x before you were hired.
Actually The AWS CWI exam is a test that certifies you as a CWI. You can test in numerous codes for the open book part of the exam API, D1.1, D1.5, D1.2, D15.1,....
When you pass the test you qualify to perform the act of weld inspector to all the codes. I am not an AWS CWI D1.1 even tho that is the code Test I passed.
I showed by my ability to interpret a code test, my ability to do just that interpret code.
So when called upon to inspect a weld the only thing I need is the Code books governing that situation and I am qualified to interpret.
I don't know about the API code being easier, it and other of the code books are definitely thinner. I contemplated going that route in my application process but the fact that my background had mainly been Structural since the early late 70's to early 80's when the Oil fields dried up, I opted for the D1.1. I passed the test 2001.
So as you investigate this step you are contemplating in your future, Rely on your past to guide you.
http://files.aws.org/certification/CWI/CWI_Exam_only_pkg.pdf
Hope this helps more than hurts.
Marshall
Parent - - By logan pierce Date 11-07-2009 02:06
[deleted]
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-08-2009 14:01
Clarification is in order gentlemen. A CWI  certificate does not qualify anyone to interpret the code; AWS, ASME, or API. The CWI examination allows the candidate to demonstrate he or she knows how to use the code to look up answers to specific questions. Only the appropriate code committee can interpret the "code".

As a CWI you have demonstrated the ability to use a code. You do not have the where with all or the authorization to act on behalf of the code committee to interpret the code. If and when there is a conflict regarding the intent of the code and you and the other interested party do not agree on the meaning of the clause, article, or paragraph, only the code committee has the ability to interpret the intent or meaning. Even if you and the other interested party come to an agreement with regards to the meaning of the code, it does not mean you are correct. It sounds like "double talk", but that is the way of life when working with a code.

Any inspector, myself included, that thinks he or she is the last word on code interpretation has their head way too far up the hollow log. What did you expect me to say? ;)

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding inspector schools