Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 year renewal testing options
- - By rtstrong Date 02-04-2002 18:48
I noticed a write up in one of the welding journals from last year about taking a 6 day CWI renewal certification class. Is that still being offered?
RT Strong
Parent - - By - Date 03-19-2003 14:18
Yes, the 9-Year Re-Certification Course is still being offered. To find out the dates, please check the 2003 schedule. You can obtain a schedule by visiting the AWS website: www.aws.org.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-19-2003 16:03
Does that mean all you have top do is sit through the course?

G Austin
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-19-2003 16:09
Gerald is that course to satisfy the # of hours of education required? Or do you still need to take the exam as well?
John Wright

Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-19-2003 16:36
I'm not sure.

Shurely one would have to take a test. I didn't renew my certification after my 12th year. I had understood that in order for me to become "Recertified" I would have to take the test. So I would think it odd that one could maintain certification after 9 years without taking the exams.

However, if a class is needed to recertify after nine years to pass the test, it kinda makes you wonder what the level of knowledge or experience was that occured in say the last three years before the test. One would think that as experience is gained, knowledge increases. I know that after my 1st CWI expired after 9 years,, I took the complete test. It was not much different than the 1st (Other than AWS letting me know a week or two ahead of time that ASME B31.1 and Sec IX were no longer used.)

I may have misunderstood something and thought that recertification could be performed by training and not testing. I think I "miss thunk" :)

G Austin

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-19-2003 17:47
They told me if I didn't renew for the intermediate(3 years,6 years), on time, the certificate would expire and I would have to retest all over again, just as you had to when your 9 years ran out. But I did understand that as long as you obtain 80 hrs of training/education(welding related) during the 9 years and of which 40 hrs. are obtained within the last 3 years, then you don't have to retest.
John Wright

I'm trying to get my BS in Quality Control and hopefully they will allow that to satisfy the training requirements.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-19-2003 18:08
So,

If I don't give them money on time in 3 years after certification, I must "Prove" that I am knowledgable by retesting (And paying). However if I pay them money over a period of time and take a course at the votech for welding, There is no need to "prove" what I know.

Is that true AWS ? I'm sure its in the QC1 Standard but I would like an interpretation.

G Austin
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-19-2003 22:05
I took the 9th year renewal course in 1999? It was the first class held and there was a lot to get ironed out for future classes. There was some testing but nothing you wouldn't know if you stay awake ( which was easier said than done by the end of the week). We didn't have to take the full blown CWI exam for points but we did take it for the "fun of it". Actually, I think it was said that AWS wanted to see how veteran CWIs would do on the exam under those circumstances (never found out what my score was, maybe that's bad?). Part of the 80 hours was credited from some required reading on our own time some weeks before the seminar.

There were people from all over the US and from a wide cross section of industry. The instructor was making sure to cover material that would be new to most people, not as he said, just repeating what you would hear in the basic CWI certification seminar. A lot of interesting problems were brought up for discussion and you could not help but learn something new.

The sessions ran well into the evening but it didn't hurt that the hotel had free beer, wine, and snacks from 6 - 8 on the week days. We split into smaller groups and were able to partake of the refreshments...er, I mean diligently apply ourselves to the assignment in the lobby. (Come to think of it Joe's Crab Shack was pretty good too)

But seriously, based on my experience, if you are limited on funds or in a hurry, I would just take the exam. But if you have the opportunity to attend, you will probably enjoy the course.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By elkendo Date 08-13-2003 02:32
If you have maintained your certification thru the 3 and 6 year interval after testing, you only have to take the practical part of the test.

I didn't take the seminar because I didn't want to spend the extra money or time.

The practical section is nowhere near as hard as taking the complete test, so with a little brushup it is fairly easy to pass. I have done it twice.

Personally I would not take the seminar for time and dollar reasons but if that is not a concern, you have the time and money. Go for it.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 year renewal testing options