Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Engine Intake Manifold material??????
- - By yalisan (*) Date 08-10-2003 02:23
I'm considering building an intake manifold for an engine and would like to hear what type of aluminum I should use from those of you that have more experience than I do, which is none.

O. Sanchez
Parent - - By CHEVYTOWN13 (**) Date 08-10-2003 02:50
Que pasa bro. Is this for a V8?

It sounds like a cool project. Unfortunately I'm new sos I can't help, but hope things go well for you. I'm thinking of building one in the future.

CT
Parent - - By yalisan (*) Date 08-10-2003 20:04
THIS IS GOING TO BE FOR a FOUR BANGER. Hey Ct porque piensas que hablo espanol?
Parent - - By CHEVYTOWN13 (**) Date 08-10-2003 21:04
Sanchez.

You know about http://www.inliners.org

CT
Parent - - By MikeR (*) Date 08-10-2003 21:10
Is this manifold going to be on a race motor, where performance counts? If so, judging by your lack of knowledge, you're going to be better off either buying one or having someone else make it for you. Fabricated manifolds are extremely touchy and won't run for shit if you miss by the slightest amount, either in the plenum or runners. I'm not trying to be an ass, just some facts for you to digest.

Even if it's for a street motor that just has to sound good, your welds better be top notch, or it'll crack right away with the weight of the carburetor(s) and vibration from engine and driving.

I bet Andrew from Australia can back me up on this one.
Parent - - By robism (*) Date 08-10-2003 22:27
i've been known to be wrong Sometimes:), but i must agree with mike. If you dont do it all right it might not work. Im sure if u got to a good machine shop they might be able to fab one up for u. Well just my 2 cents.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-11-2003 11:28
I too will agree with buying an aftermarket if you can't calculate and control the volume to match in each runner. If you get unequal runner sizes and velocities that thing will be junk and won't run. You'll never get the carb tuned if that thing isn't right. I've seen em' made of of aluminum plate, but Sonny's Automotive here in town built them and I trust his mountain motors for what they are known for, "HORSEPOWER".
I'm sure someone could suggest a type of material and filler for that application if you still want to give it a try.
John Wright
Parent - - By awill4wd (**) Date 08-11-2003 12:48
Mike is right, your best bet would be to buy one off the shelf if available. If not then you really should look at a fabricator with experience in manifold design particularly if it is for a normally aspirated engine. I have worked on inlet manifolds but only on cars with forced induction where flow rates aren't as critical and in manifold design I always defer to those more knowledgable than myself. I've seen some beautifully made drag race manifolds but I wouldn't even attempt trying to make them as I'm not an expert in that field.
If your engine is a 4 cylinder with carbs or injection hanging off the side then the inherent vibration problems will quickly show up design problems.
V8's are a better balanced engine generally so vibrations aren't so much a problem and generally carbs/injection are pushing down on the manifold rather than hanging off to the side.
I give you a quick example of just how little things make a big difference.
We do some work on a racing Dodge Viper V10 and the owner sent the throttle bodies away and had a lip removed from the front of the throttle bodies to effectively remove what they thought was an air restriction. They had them air flow tested before and after and they certainly gained extra air flow but when they put them back on, the car wouldn't idle properly no matter what they did. The lip they had removed was there to slow the air when the butterflies were closed to allow good idle properties.
Everything they did was good in theory and the air flow tests confirmed this but in practice it failed.
The best advice would be to seek out the experts and talk with them of your requirements.
Regards Andrew.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-11-2003 13:17
Andrew,
Good illustration, and informative reply.
John Wright

These new imports have all sorts of parts available these days. I'm sure what ever make he's working on has a performance manifold to fit his 4 cyl. Their getting great horsepower from those little motors and combined with the light weight vehicle, they really run. :)
Parent - - By yalisan (*) Date 08-11-2003 22:58
O.k. guys this project is for a turbo setup, the manifolds they make mostly are "log" style manifolds. Anything being pressurized can flow some good numbers so why pay 3 or 4 hundred $$ when I can make it for a fraction. Anyway here is a link to a good site:
http://www.puertoricodragracing.com, then go to the "Club de los 7 segundos" and there you can see some serious rice burning cars.

O. Sanchez
Parent - - By awill4wd (**) Date 08-12-2003 12:48
Sanchez, there's some pretty seriously quick cars on that site and the Siguel car is renowned even here in Australia. We have some quick rotary boys over here who are building series 6 RX7s to have a shot at getting close to his times.
We have a number of rotors in the 7 sec bracket, not quite as quick as yours but not toooooo far behind. :-)
1 N.S.W Joe Signorelli S6 RX7 20B 7.65 175.92 Heathcote
2 N.S.W Rocky Reyhayem RX3 Sedan 20B 7.66 179.78 Heathcote
3 QLD Archie Kajewski S6 RX7 20B 7.774 176.40 Willowbank
1 VIC Grant Williams S4 RX7 13B 7.940 170.26 A.I.R
Regards Andrew.
Parent - By yalisan (*) Date 08-12-2003 22:41
Hey Andrew with those times your guys are running I'll say they are even on any given day. Take care,

O. Sanchez
Parent - - By BillC (**) Date 08-14-2003 16:32
Mr. Sanchez,

I would suggest that you start out by determining what shapes you need for your manifold. That might include tubing for the runners and plate formed for a box. If you need to bend the aluminum then you need to specify a formable aluminum. Some of them just don't bend well. Once you have determined the shapes, find out what alloys are available in those shapes that are also weldable.

Good Luck!
Parent - - By yalisan (*) Date 08-14-2003 21:21
Thanks BillC most other comments were pretty much useless and discouraging. I have seen these done and I know I can make one.

Thanks

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-14-2003 21:47
I hoped I wasn't discouraging in my post. I didn't mean to be, I just wasn't sure you were aware of all the design issues to take into account for. I'm all for trying if you can get the thing tuned right, you'll be that much ahead on the competition. Learn all you can about what needs to go into these things and go for it. That's how new products are developed, some educated guessing going on sometimes and then try one. Good luck with your manifolds, Let us know how it comes out. Have you figured out a material to use yet?
Get them tires(wheels) rolling!
John Wright
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 08-14-2003 21:37
O...
I might be outta step, but if you're still in the tuning stage why not shape and form a prototype part out of steel, if that's easier to work with for you? I imagine little tweaks to equalize flow and overall velocity would be easier to adjust, if they're issues for you.

Good Luck
d
Parent - - By flatjwl (*) Date 08-15-2003 01:55
Making a steel prototype (or perhaps several) is a good tip before setting out to make an aluminum part.

We use 6061 for the flanges and 3003 for the formed components. In some cases round sections can be used and we use 6061 tubing, but most runners are formed from 3003 and made in two halves. Typically the runners taper to a smaller size from the plenum to the head flange. We use 4043 filler wire. It is necessary to allow stock for cleanup machining after the full assembly is welded. Good luck with your project.
Parent - By dee (***) Date 08-15-2003 02:31
I know a machinist that would consider that information proprietary... it's quite a help.
regards
d
Parent - - By yalisan (*) Date 08-16-2003 03:55
Thanks Flatjwl, thats the usefull info I needed to hear. Very much appreciated, thanks again.

O. Sanchez
Parent - By happybearwelder (*) Date 08-24-2003 12:38
If you are going to build this manifold just for the fun and enjoyment of being able to say " I built that" go for it and enjoy! If you are going to build this manifold to save a little money, I am sure you are in for the same rude awakening I have had on several of my "think I'll save a little money and do it myself projects". By the time you by materials, filler, gas, electricity, incidentals, and your time, you will spend more than it would cost you to buy it. Do it only for fun and experience.
The Happybearwelder.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Engine Intake Manifold material??????