Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding blueprint textbook
- - By weldhawk71 (**) Date 11-02-2009 14:15
I'm an instructor at a comm. college and the blueprint book we use is horrible. Can any other educators help by recommending  a good textbook that they teach from? The one we use is a 7th edition but has many errors in it. Some prints are unable to find dimensions due to lack of info. They'll also ask questions whose answers haven't been covered yet.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-02-2009 14:39
the book we used was http://books.google.com/books?id=UEbcJ6fh3o8C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=&f=false

blue print reading for welders.

don't think there are too many options out there. We also used old prints donated from companies
Parent - By mightymoe (**) Date 11-07-2009 19:18
I used the same one and the tech school uses it.
Parent - By Baker (*) Date 11-02-2009 16:09
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 11-02-2009 17:12
Weldhawk71
I have found a real good book in my Library that is the AISC/NISD (American Institute of Steel Construction/ National Institute of Steel Detailing) Detailing for Steel Construction second edition.
It is not a textbook as your request But it is very informative and with the AWS A2.4 Standard Symbols for Welding there are very few questions that go unanswered.
Good Luck and teach them well.
Parent - - By weldhawk71 (**) Date 11-02-2009 20:36
THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT LEADS!!!!!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-03-2009 03:03 Edited 11-03-2009 03:06
Hi weldhawk71!

Here's a whole bunch of "Blueprint Reading for Welding" books available from Google books... Now a word of caution, some of these books are not  specifically "Blueprint Reading for Welding" books per se although, some of them do have a section or chapter that covers the topic. Anywho, Enjoy the reading!!! :) :) :)

http://books.google.com/books?q=Welding+Blueprints&btnG=Search+Books&lr=

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-03-2009 05:00
Here's another one I almost forgot to mention:
How to Read Shop Drawings from the James F. Lincoln Foundation which is the Educational nonprofit for Lincoln Electric

https://ssl.lincolnelectric.com/lincoln/apdirect/item.asp?prodnum=H

Check them all out and see what works for your you and your course. Btw, you didn't mention the title of the book you currently use?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By weldhawk71 (**) Date 11-03-2009 15:09
Blueprint for welders, 7th edition from Delmar publications. I'm not a big fan of it because some of the unit review questions can't be answered due to the fact that the material in question hasn't been covered yet. It's also pretty vague in explaining terms, etc.  The instructor that I work with has been teaching for 35 years and said most text books he used are this way and he got tired of trying different books. He's also close to retirement and at this point in the game doesn't care either way so i'm kinda stuck......
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-03-2009 19:04
Just to add to the thread,

I'm currently using

"Welidng Print Reading"  By Walker and Polanin  (Goodheart-Wilcox)
I think it focuses on entry welding issues better than the others.  The reviews are decent. But it lacks the nice quiz generator of some other ones.

Before that one I used the 7th ed from Thompson/Delmar...  It had all the drawbacks in the review which become too troubleshome.  But I really liked the instructor DVD with test generator... (Examview is a great tool for instant quizes!)

No matter which textbook we also suppliment with the Hobart videos and learning guides...  They are a little dry, but it's really my job to punch it up and keep the learners awake anyhow eh?

I haven't really looked to closely at the Lincoln "no teacher left behind" BPR material but most other things in that package are excellent..  These you can get free for the asking from the Lincoln website or your local lincoln distribuiter as long as you are in a school setting.
Parent - - By danpsmith1 Date 11-07-2009 15:37
thanks to all of u for sharing such a valuable information
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 11-15-2009 01:21
We have used both of the books that have been mentioned in past years. We recently switched to using Hobarts print reading books. They seem to be much more student friendly than the others. Have quizes in them as well.
Parent - By weldstudent (**) Date 11-18-2009 02:57
i am currently a weld student and i believe that a print book that m akes the student think is almost as important as a book that teaches. life and work are not user friendly, the students should learn this. if they are good students they will read ahead and be able to properly answer the questions.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding blueprint textbook