Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6 Performance qual test
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-20-2009 15:58
D1.6 1999

Looking for agreement or disagreement.  Or a good answer

Welder performance qualification for *fillet welds*

4.10.5 (fillet break test) says:  "The entire length of the fillet wel shall be examined viaually and then a 6 in. long specimine (see figure 4.5)  or a quarter section of the pipe fillet weld assembly shall be loaded in such a way that the root is in tension. At leastone welding start and stop shall be located within the test specimine.  The load shall be increased or repeated until the specimen fractures or bends flat upon itself..... 

Figure 4.5 is 12 inches long!!!!   

Fig 4.15 (groove welds) are only 5 inches...

So I'm a bit confused..  Are fillet weld performance qual test samples to be 12 inches long?  Or is the PQR test sample only a guide image for how to cut sections.. and only a 6" section is required for performance testing..  Macros can be gotten before the destructive testing.

(grooves are not used in production,  only fillets)
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 11-20-2009 22:17
I would think that as long as you were able to get all of the required samples out of the weldment, you should be good.

Jason
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-20-2009 22:18
Hello Lawrence;

Figure 4.5 in the 2007 edition is for procedure qualification according to the caption. Reading further in clause 4.10.5 it is as you state; the entire lenght (as shown in fig. 4.5) is visually examined and 6 inches is fractured and evaluated. I don't see any text that indicates the test piece is shorter than the 12 inches you noted. I checked the AWS site for errata, but found none for D1.6.

The bottom line is I see nothing that would permit you to use an 8 inch length as would be standard practice for D1.1.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-20-2009 22:41
Thanks Al

Really sorry I missed you in Chicago.

Committee stuff actually went well on Saturday/Sunday

Went back on Tuesday with students to see exhibits but was not sure I was going to be able to get on the buss until the last minute..  Have a tooth that has been bothering badly and was waiting on word from dentist to slip me in...

I was hoping you would find me a loophole...  12 inch samples are spendy...  I'm thinking about something thick to thin in order to get a wider range on the thicknesses qualified... Going to do some GMAWP trials with 1/16 to 1/4 in. pieces..

Just seems funny to have a 5 in. groove coupon and a 12" fillet coupon...   Rats.
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 11-23-2009 17:12
Hi Lawrence,

The way I read it the test needs to be 12" long.  The weld needs to include a start and stop.  A six inch piece is cut from the 12" piece that includes the start and stop.  Stick it in a vise or press and bend.  Save your other pieces because you may need them for macros.

The length difference between the two tests makes sense because a plate weld would be easier to weld than the pipe.  Since part of the pipe would be obstructed.  D1.6 seems longer than D1.1 or D1.2. 

Yes, the plate test is a 12" long weld, as I read it.

Keith.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-23-2009 19:07
Thanks Keith,

I guess I'm bummed a bit about the material needed... But feel a bit better that I read the code properly  :)

Was hopin for a loophole  :)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6 Performance qual test