Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / ??? about welding engineering degree
- - By Chris Martin (*) Date 08-26-2003 13:31
Hello, I am 29 years old and have 11 years welding experience in all processes and have also received my associates degree in general studies from a local community college. My question, in your opinion should I quit my full time job, move away and go back to school to get my bachelors in welding engineering? I am in Lancaster Pennsylvania and am looking into going to Pennsylvania College of Technology which is 2 hours from me. Also have looked into OSU's Welding Engineering program. The only downfall of going to OSU is the tuition for a non resident is 11K a year more. Has anybody heard of Penn College of Tech? What pay could I expect when I graduate and is any company going to hire a 30'ish welding engineer with no engineering experience?

Thanks for your help.
Chris
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 08-26-2003 16:20
When I went to school for welding engineering, of the people I graduated with, the 30 something ex-welder had his pick of the jobs as compared to the rest of us whose experience with welding up to that point consisted of thier college education & summer jobs. Companies highly appreciate a welding engineer who knows the ins and outs of welding in the shop and/or field.
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 08-26-2003 18:42
I agree with GRoberts. I have a brother in law who welded for 15 yrs. before going to OSU. He is now the top field welding engineer for a world renowned company. I don't have his permission to tell you who he is, so I won't. But I can tell you the prior welding experience is invaluable. Also,if you can afford OSU, it is worth it.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By Chris Martin (*) Date 08-27-2003 14:49
Thanks guys, I think I'm leaning more towards OSU. The price for non residents is alot more compared to residents of Ohio. Maybe I could live there a year and then get the resident rate. Still weighing the options. Thanks again for the input. Any idea of pay when I get out of school?

Thanks Chris
Parent - By scmait (*) Date 08-27-2003 20:06
See this site...http://www.ewi.org/alumni/gradsal.asp

It has some data although it may be old. If anything it has probably gone up.

I to have a BSWE from OSU and think the program they have is the best offered (that is now that I have been out in the real world).

SCMait
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / ??? about welding engineering degree