Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.5 SAW Fillet weld size Theorethical +
- - By lsaccoccio Date 12-02-2009 20:33
Is it allowed to calculate the effective throat as theoretical throat plus the penetration on the toe of the weld?
AISC Specification J2.2 allowed. Is there any thing in the AWS D1.5 that allow it?
Thanks
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 12-02-2009 20:44
Short answer:  No.  See C-3.3.1.

Slightly longer answer:  No, but there are some penetration assumptions built into the standard PJP details.  See C-2.3.1.3.

Hg
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-02-2009 22:39
I thought the even slightly longer answer is that it's allowable but it can't be calculated it has to be measured via destructive testing then a system has to be in place to assure repeatability, I also thought it was only applicable to a deep penetration process like sub-arc
That is my D1.1 answer I don't use 1.5

If those steps are followed it can be used in strength requirements.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 12-02-2009 22:57
Yeah, pretty much.  In 4.7.5 (and thence to 5.7.7).  But it's not the automatic 1/8" extra credit that other codes offer.  On the other hand, if you look at Fig. 2.5, there is a deduction of 1/8" for non-SAW for certain PJP configurations.

Also, the fact that reference to "When the joint to be welded requires specific root penetration" only appears in the SAW section should probably be taken to mean that this is only allowed for SAW, but it doesn't explicitly say that.  I hate it when the code requires us to infer.  I mean, the way that's written, it could be taken to mean that the demonstration requirements of 4.7.5 apply only to SAW, and for any other process, the demonstration isn't necessary and you can do what you want, since I can't find anywhere that says joints requiring specific root penetration can only be used with SAW.  A mess.

Hg
Parent - By lsaccoccio Date 12-04-2009 20:45
Thank for your time. Your opinions are helpfull to us.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.5 SAW Fillet weld size Theorethical +