Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hardfacing
- - By strother (***) Date 12-07-2009 14:45
Whats a good hardfacing rod for metal to earth wear and medium impact , sand clay and bark? It needs to be stick electrode  and weld in all positions . I've not been impressed with the Lincoln stuff I've tried. I used some Rockmount  Olympia hardfacing they worked well but are EXPENSIVE to the point that you can't pass it along to the customer.
Parent - By RUSSELL (**) Date 12-07-2009 15:05
STOODY makes all kinds of good hardfacing rods.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-07-2009 19:14
I used to hardsurface teeth on boring machines. We had real good luck with Eutectic Hardfacing Rods.
Parent - By nevadanick (**) Date 12-07-2009 21:55
What are you hardfacing ?  Have you considered welding on strips of ARM plate,  this stuff lasts almost forever if you put it on so the dirt just fills in between the strips and the weld is protected.  Way faster and more effective than traditional criss cross beads.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 12-07-2009 23:17
Thanks guys I'll look into those options. This particular application is on building up and surfacing end on log grapples. I've been using a combination AR400 Plate  and Lincoln Wearsheild but I don't like the wearsheild.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-17-2009 07:48
well call me dumb i guess but i just came off a job and they were using grabbles to tear down building well at least move the knock down junk and i built up some teeth even rebuilt 1 grabble with 7018 rod using thier hobart machine which is junk and didnt have any troubles gues im better than i thought he bought some hard face rods but i never used them
Parent - - By The Ruffian (**) Date 12-08-2009 04:13
Stoody 31 in 5/32!
Parent - By dongrahamjr Date 12-09-2009 00:00
stoody 31 or 35
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-09-2009 02:53
3rd vote for Stoody 31.  It's what I use on deep ripper chisel shanks.  Used Stoody 19 before that but they quit making it.  Your LWS that sells Stoody or on their site will have an abrasion chart to help and will tell what works best for your base metal and welding process.   Well well someone at the LWS lied to me ?  Stoody 19 is still on their website.  I still vote for the 31 though.

http://www.thermadyne.com/stoody/content/view/76

http://www.thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads/DocLib_2249_62-2004.pdf

You didn't say what you are working on but something else to consider might be tungsten capping.  It can be tricky to put on without cracking it.  Also chrome carbide points or capping.  If extreme hard pan conditions or rocks forget the capping stick with hard facing.  Rocks can break tungsten or chrome carbide caps. 
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 12-09-2009 03:45
Thanks for the links I just added them to my favorites. Most of the hardfacing I do is on logging equipment. Most of the wear is in red clay, sand and bark . I've worked on some rock buckets but the customer usually says what they want on that .
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-09-2009 23:28
The Stoody 31 or 19 will probably work.  The 31 would usually lasts 2 or 3 years going over 1500 to 2000 acres in that time period on deep ripper shank faces in our clay loam soil hardpan ran 18 to 30 inches deep with tungsten capped points but no rocks.  The higher the rod is on the abrasion chart the harder it is to run or will need to be done with DC or reverse polarity.  31 and 19 rod runs easily with AC or DC but the other tube filled rods have to be ran with DC. 
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 12-15-2009 13:19
For what its worth, Stoody 19 is still manufactured.  (your local supplier may not have it, but it is still made)
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-15-2009 17:51
Thanks.  Yes done talked to them about something about not having it in stock and paying extra freight and minimum order ...  blah blah... but their salesman lied. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hardfacing