Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Off topic but kinda related to tools:
- - By rjt70 (*) Date 08-31-2003 18:05
I saw some topics about American made a while back and thought I would give you this to think about. I, up until recently worked for American Tool/Newell Rubbermaid. Since the aquisition of ATC by Newell, they have shut down or re-located most of our operations to Asia. So next time you pick up an Irwin branded tool, look closely at where it is made. The product on the shelves right now is made by us in the states, but when that runs out they transition into the Asia product. This will be apparent by the end of Q1 2004. This includes but will not be limited to tinners and all current Quick Grip products. If you are fortunate enough to find our Quick Grip welding clamps ont he shelves, buy them, we don't produce them anymore, not even in China. FYI, we are the same company who brings you your beloved Vise Grips! Don't wory, they are still here in Nebraska...........for now.
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 08-31-2003 20:10
Just curious, but is Irwin a union shop?
Parent - - By rjt70 (*) Date 08-31-2003 21:03
No union here.
Parent - By dee (***) Date 08-31-2003 23:45
Asian manufacturing is so cheap, and today of such high quality, that Americans cannot compete?

How are you guys being treated, and should I stop buying "Sharpie" markers as well... like we've done to French products (BIC pens and shavers are French, aren't they?)

I have a friend who had a contract to build handle-bodies for a major manufacturer's angle grinder. He was not extremely disappointed about the manufacturer sourcing everything to Asia... his complaint was that at the end of the month he was merely exchanging money... there wasn't enough profit in the contract to justify it, and he's really not worse off... there's some food for thought.

How come everybody said NAFTA was a good idea?

NOTE: consider these as merely rhetorical questions, unless you care to opine

regards
d
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Off topic but kinda related to tools: