Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Needs Help
- - By CWI-newby Date 09-02-2003 16:59
I am a new CWI on my own. I am looking for good places, aside from Global Engineering Doc., to get reference material, tools, and questions answered (preferably free). Passing the test is one thing, but hands on is another, and I just want to make sure I do it right. I appreciate any help.
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 09-02-2003 17:23
You are in the right place. Just start asking questions.

Mike Sherman
Parent - - By CWI-newby Date 09-02-2003 17:31
Where are some good visual inpection tool companies/distributers?
I have put together my own inpection check list based on D1.1 but, I have nothing to compare it to. How do I know it's right? What kind of liability clauses/contractual agreements should be between me and my customer?
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 09-02-2003 18:45
For tools, go to http://www.qtm.net/~galgage/product.html. They have a good selection. For AWS publications, you are pretty much stuck with Global if you want new documents. Otherwise, just get on Google, DogPile, etc. and start looking for used (and perhaps dated) literature. What are you looking for? Code books or just inspection guidance?

I am assuming from your question you are wishing to start your own inspection company. No offense meant, but what is your background? Inspections? NDE? Who do you want your clients to be or what field do you want to work in? Structural? Boilers? Tanks? You may not want to hear it, but you may wish to go work for someone else for 6 months or a year to get the feel for how inspection companies work and get your feet wet. Also, attend your local AWS Section meetings and get to know folks locally. Otherwise, like was already said, here is as good as any place to ask questions. As long as you are a discerning fellow, there are no dumb questions. Lots of luck!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-03-2003 14:13
For inspection tools, try G.A.L. Gage Company. You have reviewed the AWS Hands-On Book as well, I'm assuming? I can tell you from over 22 years as a CWI, it takes some time to get the swing of everything thats involved in our business. If I can urge you to do one single thing, read, read, read those Code books! And......(I'll probably get lot's of rebuttal on this next comment)......always look for ways to "accept" the item/weld being inspected instead of looking for ways to reject it. When you do need to reject something, always make sure you have a specific reference to why the item/weld is rejectable. WHEW! Wordy, I know!~
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-12-2003 16:25
You won't get a rebuttal from me Jon. I use the same approach. Coming up through the ranks, I never liked hearing "because I said so" without an explanation. Inspectors like that often find themselves bypassed and eventually replaced.

As for learning how to use gauges, GAL Gage is one of the better sources I have found for illustrations of gauge use. You might try your local welding supply company for other literature they might have.
Also, getting a chance to work with other inspectors will give valuable experience. That could be any type of inspection work, not just welding. You can learn a lot about integrity and professional ettiquette by observing others.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-03-2003 01:03
There is a great deal of free information on the internet however you will not find any current codes etc.. For getting questions answered this is the place. I also like http://www.eng-tips.com . Some booksellers maintain databases online in which you can search for books by subject, title etc. Sometimes those are a good source for low cost reference materials.

I have got a good deal on ebay for some inspection tools but it seems that the final bids have gone up lately.

Hope this helps

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By OhiolevelIII Date 09-12-2003 14:26
You should contact your local AWS section, they may have a Technical Library which would have most of the codes you need. If they do, you would be able to borrow what you need.
Parent - - By isaacvergara (*) Date 09-13-2003 01:02
Helo your

My inglish is bad, but have one questions:

CWI, examen if users diccionary ingles-Spanish or Ingles-Ingles, for persons, the day is examen AWS? To be permit?

Excuse my Ingles, please

isaac
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-13-2003 01:15
It is not talked about but there is a list of allowed items. A spanish english dictionary is not listed as one of the items allowed.

There may be other language versions of the test.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI Needs Help