Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / fillet weld break test
- - By Bubba01 (*) Date 12-16-2009 01:51
Hello everyone I am new to the forum. I would like some help with an issue of discussion some fellow CWIs and I are in the middle of. How many passes are you allowed to make on a fillet weld break test according D1.1. Half of us say just one pass 5/16 others say it can be up to three I looked thru the code book and cant really find anything that says defintely one way or the other. I would like anyones input Thanks.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-16-2009 04:36
If you don't get fusion at the root with the first pass It really doesn't matter how many passes you put on afterward eh?

Both the break and the Macro are going to look for fusion at the root.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-16-2009 12:04
Bubba01
Welcome to the Forum.
AWS D1.1 2008 Clause 4.11 Fillet Welds for Tubular and Nontubular Connections
4.11.1 Has an underlined line at the bottom, "Qualification testing may be for either a single-pass fillet weld or a multi-pass fillet weld or both".
4.11.2 Fillet Weld Test gives more on this and refers to figure 4.19 for plate and figure 4.20 for tube.
Again Welcome
Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-16-2009 14:38
Bubba,  Welcome to the Forum.

Along with what Wacco and Lawrence said, I believe that part of your answer will also be in the WPS being used for the test.  It should state the type of procedure for which the test is being run and limit the number of passes.  All of mine have a spot for 'Multi or Single Pass' to be indicated.  Welding MUST be done per the WPS on the test.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 12-16-2009 17:01
You probably know this, but requirements aside, if you want an accurate check on welder skill it is a good idea to require a single pass test.

Under some conditions, some material is soft enough to fold over on itself without breaking the root open, even if the root pass was bad, if 2 or more passes are applied.
Parent - - By Bubba01 (*) Date 12-17-2009 01:59
Thank you all for you warm welcome and input. This has been an ongoing discussion between myself and a few other CWIs the older ones say it should be one pass because of testing the welders skill.  I  agree with them we like to hire good  skilled people it makes us all money in the end  and work flows better and has a nicer product as an end result. again thanks 
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-17-2009 04:49
bubba01,
I know one thing. If it is a multiple pass fillet weld break test. Next time I'm making the welder beat that " *%&#$@ " apart!
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 12-17-2009 17:45
Bubba,

My response doesn't answer your question, but if the test is just for common production fillets, I'd have a serious issue with a welder who couldn't run a 5/16" fillet weld in a single pass.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 12-17-2009 20:30
I think that would depend highly on the process, electrode diameter, position, material thickness, and preheat temp (if required).
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-17-2009 20:58
Blaster
To touch on something brought up earlier in this post in regard to single pass.
I used to have our new welders do the test in one pass, but the problem was when it came time for them to put in a multi-pass fillet, they would get rejected all the time becasue they didn't know how to stack the beads.
The formen asked me to change to weld test from a single pass to a multi pass, this way we could confirm they could make acceptable multi pass welds, and still once its cut and macroetched I would know it they could or could not pass the fusion portion of the test, along with the bend test. It made sence to me so I changed it and it still meets code.

So what I do I stay with the welder during the test for a number of reasons, they are;
to confirm the start and stop is in the middle of the test piece,
that the first pass is acceptable
then I confrim that the other passes are acceptable as well normally I end up w/ a 3/8- 7/16 fillet. Let's face it this test does not take a long time to weld.
Luckily my jig and porta power bends the test plates nicely.
Hope this helps
Chris
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-17-2009 21:25 Edited 12-17-2009 21:29
I see the reasoning EEEK

I would still like to see an actual fillet *break* so that the entire root can be inspected including the restart.. Which prolly isn't going to happen when a multi-pass weld folds over on itself.

In my perfect little world it would be nice to see a single pass fillet break... (I think 5/16 is about max for GMAW in D1 anyhow) and then why not do another fillet with a multi pass weld that is simply visually inspected (so you can see if they can stack)..  Not that big an investment in time or materials, but maybe a better evaluating tool when you put the two together.

When you test the multi-pass welds with your power tool, do they fold over or break at the root?  If they do break I'd like to know more about how you do that.  Maybe my 49 ton metal muncher could be rigged a similar way.  (share pix ?)
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-17-2009 23:36
EEK

yeah post a picture, although now days that sledgehammer is good exercise for me. LoL
Marshall
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-18-2009 11:38
Yeah, you bend it so the plates go flat against each other, basically prying the unwelded side open exposing the root pass.  The nice thing about doing it this way is it doesn't disrupt any slag that may be caught in the root.  This makes it easier to evaluate how much lack of fusion there may be to be able to accept it or not.  I'm testing guys to FCAW duel shielded, so if they don't know what they are doing it will look like pencil lead all along the entire joint, becasue they didn't fuse the material.
Of course don't forget this is after 1" was already cut off each end and one side was macroetched.  So my 8" test coupon is now 6" long. 
I would think with a sledge hammer that it could be pretty brutal on both the coupon and part, just where a hrad hat and gloves.    I'll try to take a few pics.
Chris
Attachment: 100_1337.jpg (367k)
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-18-2009 12:30
eekpod
It depends on the welder.LoL
It mainly depends on the day and how well the aim. LoL
Marshall
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-18-2009 18:50 Edited 12-18-2009 18:53
wow, could I have made those pics any bigger?? LOL

I'm making myself dizzy just looking at them, sorry about that guys but you get the idea.

lesson learned, be careful with the "embed" button.

The "attached" picture is taken BEFORE the 1" is cut off of both ends.  I didn't have a coupon that wasn't bent already and cut.  I wasn't going to waste my time cutting off 1" on either end just to take the picure and throw it out, but you should get the idea.  Thats what the hash mark area is showing, pretend its not there.

Chris
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-18-2009 19:19
eekpod
Looks good to me is the rod oven part of the jig LoL
Thanks for the pictures I might have to devise me something like it, never thought about using anything other than my 20# sledge before now.
Marshall
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-18-2009 21:20
The Code does not address it specifically for the performance qualification test. It is my opinion that it is more difficult to get a good looking visual appearance with many welders making a multipass weld but the fusion at the root is more consistent. With the single pass weld, especially in the 2F position, I have seen many failures both in the Macro and break test.

There needs to be enough energy there to carry a puddle that allows the arc to stay on the leading edge or fusion/penetration issues will occur.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / fillet weld break test