Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hard hat
- - By Tim655 (*) Date 12-17-2009 15:15
If any of you are using a hard hat with welding helmet, which ones do you like best, and where did you get them??

Thanks in advance
Parent - By Francisford (**) Date 12-17-2009 16:49
I used to work at a rock quarry and had to wear a hard had when I was at work.   All the welders that worked there used Jackson's.  It wasnt too bad once you got used to it.  They make clips for the ears that you put into the hard hat. 
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-17-2009 17:27
Here we use Jacksons....

Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-17-2009 19:04
Just curious?

has anyone ever told you not to put stickers on your hard hat?  Was at a job once they checked the date on our hard hats (two years old was the max).  Then they wouldn't allow us to wear hats covered in decals or stickers. Something about the adhesive deteriorating the plastic?  I call bs on that but, those were the rules! Also if you were a welder you were not required to were the hard hat while welding? Of course they were color coated according to your ranking at their place of employment all outside contractors were required to wear white..

Went through a feedlot once were hard hats were required,  even the feed truck drivers had to were them while in the cab of the feed truck seems a little extreme to me not much falling from the sky at a feedlot.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-17-2009 19:14
low_hydrogen
Commonly Asked Questions

Q. Can decals be put on hard hats?
A. In most cases, yes. There is an extremely low risk for a chemical reaction between the hard hat shell and the pressure-sensitive sticker/decal adhesive. Under normal conditions, stickers and decals won’t negatively affect the performance of the hard hat.
Generally, these two rules of thumb should be followed:
The decals should be placed at least three-fourths of an inch away from the edge of the hard hat. This eliminates the risk of the decal acting as a conductor between the inside and outside of the helmet.
In order to easily inspect the hard hat for damages, the areas of the hard hat covered by stickers/decals should be kept to a minimum.

Q. Is it safe to paint a hard hat?
A. ANSI Z89.1-2003 Appendix A4 states, when painting hard hat shells, caution should be used because some paints and thinners may damage or degrade the shell decreasing the level of protection. Before painting, consult the hard hat manufacturer.

Q. Can hard hats be worn backward?
A. Generally, no. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) released a standard interpretation and compliance letter dated July 22, 1992 that states:
"Because ANSI only tests and certifies hard hats to be worn with the bill foreword, hard hats worn with the bill to the rear would not be considered reliable protection and would not meet the requirement of 29 CFR 1926.100 (a) and (b) unless the hard hat manufacturer certifies that this practice meets the ANSI requirements."
Before wearing your hard hat backward, you should obtain written verification and directions from the manufacturer on whether or not your hard hat model has been tested and found to be compliant with safety standards when worn backward.

Sources for More Information

OSHA 29 CFR 1910.135,
Occupational Head Protection Standard
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 12-17-2009 22:14
I was working on a job where hardhats were required. Being a welder the only way to wear my hardhat was backwards to accomodate
my hood. I went to a safety meeting where the safety personel wrote me up a warning fo haveing my hard hat on backwards. I
explained to him that I was a welder and it was the only way i could work with the hood I had. He told me he didn't care what i did
but i must wear my hardhat correctly. when i returned to my work area i got the union steward and showed him my write up which i refused to sign
I then told him that I could no longer weld on the project till the company came up with a hood that would work with a hardhat worn correctly.
I was taken into the foremans office wher I was told I was being a troublemaker because none of the other welders were written up for wearing backward
hardhats. I was put on a rigging crew for the remainder of the day then laid off.
Labor board hearing still pending
Parent - By JohnJohn (**) Date 12-18-2009 03:13
People who write you up for wearing your lid backwards have never:

1. Been 30-40' up on the iron, looking up for the load all day (nonetheless while not looking DOWN).

2. Down in the boneyard hooking on, looking up for the hook all day.

Why can't people find something better to gripe about. Before long it will be mandatory to tie off in the outhouse to prevent someone from falling in the hole.

JohnJohn
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-17-2009 19:32
Stickers can impair your ability to visually inspect the hard hat. (EDIT: whoops, wacco already pointed that out) Our plant uses white hard hats to identify the management, red hats for the maintenance, and grey for the general population.....and we have really special hard hats for the visitors....LOL

We require the hard hat while welding.....but I believe we are the only fabricator within 100 miles that still uses hard hats in the fab shop. How the others get their Insurance company to go along with that is beyond me. I have heard of government jobsites where the hard hats get inspected for the dates. Our OTR truck driver has found that out the hard way on a current job we have going on right now.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-17-2009 19:37
Oh and as for using the hard hat backwards...the bill gets in the way of flipping the hood, so we snap the suspension in backwards so that the hat is comfortable to wear backwards. I don't weld everyday so I keep my suspension turned around correctly and only snap the hood on when I'm welding or giving someone a welding test.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-17-2009 21:35
low_hydrogen,
   While Wacco and John have pretty much hit the nail on the head I will add just a bit more. I have been at places that enforce the rules you are speaking of. The thing with stickers is that some (usually older or novelty type) have different adhesives that can in fact deteriorate the hard hat. Most stickers that are made for the purpose of being applied to a hard hat will not effect it. But as mentioned, one can not properly inspect the hard hat with an abundance of stickers applied.

Paint markers and paint will adversely affect them as well. 

They do have a manufacture date in them that one should check when buying a new one (I have seen them brand new on the shelf with a date 5 years out). I thought that it was a 5 year period but it has been awhile and it may vary depending on the company safety manual. 

Also realize that sunlight will make them brittle over time.

Another one I remember was if your hard hat fell from a distance greater than 10 feet it was to be taken out of service. I immediately remembered my oil field days and throwing my hard hat at worms farther away than that and also throwing it out of the derrick at an a**hole driller twice. I guess they were junk after that. :-)

I collect hard hats and stickers and I put them on the ones in my collection, but for actual use I keep the stickers to a bare minimum if any at all.

jrw159 

Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 12-18-2009 06:10
what about the stickers you get after going through orientation on a job site that are supposed to be displayed on your hard hat as required by the client?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-18-2009 12:01
To the best of my knowledge they are not harmful.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-18-2009 14:16 Edited 12-18-2009 14:18
A little more on the hard hat usage discussion:

CBI told us over 30 yrs ago that they would rather have them backwards with hood attachments than not at all with a hood.  If you have ever been hit by a bull pin from 20 ft above you you might understand why!!!

John Wright, some shops I inspect in here in AZ require their guys to wear their hard hats while welding.  I know of others that did yrs back, unsure of current policy.

It is interesting that I first heard the stickers rule when getting OSHA 10hr certified.  The instructor informed us that OSHA issues stickers for hard hats for safety awards and other items.  Go figure!!  Then, at a school I was at yesterday inspecting beams, they put stickers on the guys hard hats after running fingerprints to make sure you were safe (no rapists or child molesters etc) to work at a school.  If they didn't see the sticker on your hard hat, you were gone.

Safe glue is pretty much a given anymore, but you still have the issue of being able to inspect the hard hat for damage.  And after you get stickers indentifying your employer, safety record, fingerprinting, and sometimes other employer or customer mandated items, how much of the hat can you still see?

Bottom Line: how OSHA balances all the contradictory regulations with the actual field practice can be more than a little frustrating and confusing.  May even get you fined.  Needs to be challenged but who can afford the time and money?!

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Tim655 (*) Date 12-18-2009 15:16
I have looked on Jacksons website and they dont show these??
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-18-2009 16:05
SC-6 is the Jackson hard hat I have.  http://www.jacksonsafety.com/linkdetails.cfm?groupid=3001987

My welding sheild is an old Jackson EQC variable/adjustable auto darkening. similar to this: http://www.jacksonsafety.com/linkdetails.cfm?groupid=3002513

Grinding sheild attachment: http://www.jacksonsafety.com/linkdetails.cfm?groupid=3002446

I noticed that they offer a different welding shield mounting attachment than what we use(ours is exactly like the grinding sheild attachment)...http://www.jacksonsafety.com/linkdetails.cfm?groupid=3000629

See if any of this helps.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 12-17-2009 20:34
My favorite is the Fibre Metal E-2 hat with Fibre Metal 52090 hood.

Made in USA.
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 12-17-2009 21:46
tim when i have to use my hard hat. i have gotton a plastic one from turner made for welding. I didnt use the ears on it because it stretches ur hood out. I use a pipeliner hood.I just tok my soft cap out of my hood. Marked it where i can stick it thru my harhat and cut the 2 holes on each side. i like it cause when u go to put ur band out of ur hat into ur hood, ur hood isnt stretched. if i can soon i will take some pictures for ya and show u
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 12-18-2009 03:53
Not to sound old, but I'm havingtrouble readingurpost and I'd like2 no wat ur saying
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 12-18-2009 04:03
lol. it would just be easier to send u pictures. I can do that for a better understanding
Parent - By Tim655 (*) Date 12-18-2009 15:15
Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hard hat