Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cherokee "hands free" welding helmet
- - By SUBLIME (*) Date 09-05-2003 18:41
Has anybody used one of these? Specifically using the TIG process? Looks a good compromise between a traditional helmet and an auto-darkening one.
Parent - By stever (**) Date 09-05-2003 22:47
I've got one in the shop collecting dust. Before I got bifocals I used it alot. It was tiring on the jaw to use it 8 to 10 hours per day, but it was nice to be able to raise the lens without moving your hands. The bifocals demand a 4x5 lens. Tilt the head too far and the focus is screwed up with the small welding lens. The Cherokee lens, if I remember correctly, is 4" wide by 3.5" long. The large lens 4x5 gives me more leaway.

Hey! I've got a nice welding shield and two boxes of lens for sale.
Parent - By airweld (**) Date 09-06-2003 00:49
I use one exclusively for TIG because the inverters wouldn't reliably trigger the auto helmet I had. I guess the new auto helmets do better, but I like the chin-operated hood. Works as advertised. Scott.
Parent - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 09-07-2003 05:29
I've been using one for TIG for about a year. It works well for me. I wear "progressive" rather than bifocals AND I put a mag. lens in the helmet. That way I can use the lens with or without my glasses should the need arise. Much seems to depend upon how my progressive glasses are adjusted/maladjusted at the time!

Given that I don't weld all day, the unit was a better economical choice than a high quality auto darkening. It is a bit heavier than other helmets and yawning or gum chewing can certainly increase brightness in a hurry! Overall, I am very satisfied with it.
Ken
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cherokee "hands free" welding helmet