Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wildcat/4075 9" sources??
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-19-2009 20:09
Anyone know of a place selling new or recon Wildcats or B&D Industrial 9" grinders??  Model 4075?    

I just want to say that is all I am looking for...this need not be another tool debate....I feel about those grinders like most guys love their SA200.   For me that is the ONLY heavy grinder to have and I need one.

THX
Tommy
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 12-19-2009 20:44
Tommy I couldn’t agree more! I’ve had mine for 25 + years and just had to replace the trigger. For some horrible reason if you can’t find one, the new Wild Cat by DeWalt is pretty close to the quality of the old Black & Decker Wild Cats. It is light and powerful too; no doubt it won’t last near as long!  
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 12-20-2009 19:15
The new Dewalts are ok, but not close to a Wildcat as far as power and balance.
I have one that is 25 years old, and had to toss an older one that years of sand and dirt had eaten the varnish off the windings, and the insulation off the fields.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-19-2009 22:49
I have 4 of them. I agree about them being the Best. I seem to have good luck finding them in Pawn Shops. They just figure they are an Old Grinder and not worth much. I bought one for $25.00 and $55.00 is the most I have paid
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 12-20-2009 00:25
Anybody have a pic of one?  I frequent pawn shops a lot.
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 12-20-2009 00:56

Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 12-20-2009 01:00
Thanks
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 12-20-2009 01:08
Your welcome!
I posted the second picture just for a comparison. I’d pay at least $100.00 for another one of the old ones. Parts are still available for them, best I’ve used!
Wish I could find a die grinder of the same quality! 
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-20-2009 07:02
WOW  Cactus you got some luck!!!!   I had my last one stolen years ago...    I have found one local the guy does not know what is worth,   its got a sticking trigger, but he is firm for $100 (lol).    I rekon I will have to get that one, it runs good and the trigger issue is nothing.  BUT I still am looking for more if anyone knows where to get em??!?!?  

TO let anyone else know about these things: They run forever, they can handle long drops and survive, you can get parts from the gear drives to the trigger housings, all I have ever done is put in new brushes  ONCE!!   and they have enough torque to rip off your shirt or your head.   I have no idea why they quit making them except you only need one for life.

Tommy
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 12-20-2009 18:14
I have a couple that I pulled out of service recently.  Still have them but there is weird arcing going on inside when they run... though they still run.  The brushes are fine no visible gross debris inside.  I will have to trouble shoot this when I can find the time.

I have no idea how old they are but they have served pretty much daily for over 9 years, and they were old when I got to the shop.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-21-2009 04:23
Arcing that goes around the commutator when the brushes are good is from open windings in the armature, often where the wire joins the commutator bar. Pretty hard to fix other than changing armatures.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-20-2009 21:48
I've used that one before that i guess is the wildcat black and decker man that thing is a beast heavy as sh*t and yes it will tear you're shirt up just like it did to me. I think the two pawn shops near me seems liek i have seen them in there before. I'll have to stop by there agin and take a look
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-21-2009 04:21
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/1503692619.html  Not in Your area, Tommy, but perhaps worth looking into. It has been listed a LONG time. I got the ones I have from pawn shops & flea markets, $35-$75.

A friend of Mine has an Asian look alike[Jepson] but I don't know if it is really as good as a Wildcat.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-21-2009 10:17
Dave I seen that one nad there is one looks to be a little nicer in Oregon on craigslist. Those are the only two I have seen and one that was on ebay that maybe a wildcat but it's probally sold by now
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 12-21-2009 12:24
I think I may have found same series drill.  It says Black & Decker Professional on it and has the same aluminum casing look to it.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-22-2009 05:28
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-20-2009 23:17
i have a nice wildcat.... i will even trade for (2) makita 7" used if you have any..or i will sell my wildcat for $100.00
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-21-2009 19:18
Thx   Dave  ........for 100 I got one close by that's a known quantity.  I don't typically do craigslist out of town..  I need to cruise the pawn shops myself as it has been a long time,  now that I don't have a job, I have time to.

Darin  thanks for the offer.   I gotta wait and see how bad my wife bends over my bank account for the holidays first   LOL.   I told the fella up the road I was coming to pick up his so I will probably be strapped till after xmas.   I will let ya know. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wildcat/4075 9" sources??