Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Proper method of inert gas use
- - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 09-07-2003 22:03
When you store your mig for short duration, do you need to do anything special with the regulator settings before turning the cylinder valve off for storage. Is the regulator subject to damaging pressure when the tanked is opened up? I notice that the regulator goes somewhat higher than the setting if tank pressure is turned on too quick. Is this damaging to the regulator? Also curious about safety aspect of the above. How often do regulators "blow" when first exposed to full cylinder pressure? I notice that I can confirm the regulator pressure if the tank is opened up slowly, as the needle peaks at the current setting and then drops down to zero.
Parent - By dee (***) Date 09-09-2003 00:52
Bzzzz
I was taught to relieve pressure from the regulator diaphraghm by backing the pressure adjustment off (to zero pressure) after each use. I do so after the tank valve is closed and the line is purged (out of habbit)

It's critical that the tank valve be opened SLOWLY for safety... the worst that can happen is the gauge explode and send pieces of it flying into your or someone else's eyes or face... ghe gauge face, therefore, should be pointed away from you when opening the tank valve... I keep mine pointing at about a 45 degree angle toward the cieling to help keep me (and others) out of the line of hazard just in case we get distracted and become careless, but this would depend on the size tank you're using and how tall you and coworkers are (not to mention your ability to read the gauge when you want to) sometimes I aim it slightly downward, and the face stays cleaner longer as well; no matter as long as you pay it some mind.

I believe the regulator is engineered safely enough for confidence, but if you've ever read the little paper enclosed with replacement gauges, including application directions and cautionary notes, you'd probably see the gauge itself as the primary weak spot. Select replacements with great care. Take an old one apart to see how it can fatigue, split and explode it's bourdon tube (I believe that's the name of the curved metallic bladder inside that tends to straighten when pressurized; the face is calibrated to that charicteristic of the tube, and a linkage/gear mechanism moves the pointer to read the pressure); there's a lot of small parts to go flying.

regards,
d

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Proper method of inert gas use