Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How did you start rig welding?
- - By rocko Date 12-30-2009 23:09
I thought it would be cool to hear stories of how the rig welders on this site got started.
Parent - By daryl morgan (*) Date 12-30-2009 23:38
you might be better off taking the $40,000 or so, to put a decent well equipt rig together, to vegas-it'd be a lot more fun than the feast and famine of running a rig.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-31-2009 05:28
According to most you were either born out of the womb with a stinger in your hand or were not.  :)
Parent - - By scott davis 3 (*) Date 12-31-2009 05:58
LOL Thats pretty close!
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-31-2009 08:37
I think like alot of things in life is if you want it bad enough you'll get it
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-31-2009 10:48
I've only been running my rig for about a year and a half and they are right about feast or famine....especially in this "fixed" economy. Been working single hand the last 3-4 months and feel spoiled! LoL!! Looking to get back to my thing though but with the economy slow as it is around here glad I've had this work. I'll be getting laid off pretty soon though, Yahoo!!
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-02-2010 00:25
When I was a Kid, I had a Rig instead of a Stroller.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 01-03-2010 02:11
Red like this one ?  :)
Parent - - By RockerB (**) Date 12-31-2009 19:15
Thats a very good topic, with all the new comers I've seen asking questions!!

My Dad was a pipeliner in Odessa, TX in late 70's . I remember watching him test a few times, not understanding what was actually going on being born in '74, but was so intrigued with the idea of turning steel into liquid and it transforming into something amazing (to me) when it cooled. I started learning to weld 5p and LH when I was in jr high from Dad. I helped him on pipe fabrication projects when he brought them home. By the time I got to metal fabrication in high school, I could out weld , out cut, out fab the shop teachers. Boy, did I have the big head! I got called on to fix all sorts of stuff in Ag and FFA. My Sr year, I singed up for DECA (high school work program) just to get out of classes at lunch, but found a job as a welder helper working in the diaries around Comanche, TX. Bout a week later, and I was taking the truck out myself to do smaller jobs. Took my first real weld test at Ross Co in Brownwood, TX building portable cement batch plants at the age of 18. A year later, I decided I needed some adventure, so I enlisted in the Navy. Six years later, got out and went to tanking for TBI out of Euless, TX as lead welder and crane operator. Finally found enough money to put a rig together in 2001 and been running as hard as I can ever since. Never turn down an opportunity to weld next to an an "old timer". He can teach you more in a day then a year of college!

You only get back what you are willing to put into welding. There is so much more for me to learn about the trade. Everything I know about welding now has been self taught this far, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

If a man wants to work in this field he must first realize that its not a job, but a life style, and to accept it for what it is. Not everyone is cut out for this life. Some days are gravy, others make you ready to snap.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-01-2010 02:59
I agree follow those old guys around they know there sh*t.
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 01-01-2010 19:14
Hey Rocker B, I grew up in Brownwood in the mid 70's to early 80's, in fact I dated old man Ross daughter Shawna
Parent - - By RockerB (**) Date 01-02-2010 14:14
I lived there in 1980 again in 1992 With my Grandparents. Then I moved there on the corner of Dallas and Walnut Str. in 1999. When the house we were renting came up for sale, we moved here to Godley and bought some land and had a house built. You  still in Brownwood? We may know one another, ar maybe some of the same people.
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 01-02-2010 22:59
I moved there in the early 70's, my father bought a brick yard there and that's how I ended up there. Moved back to Elgin in 83 after brick yard went down the tubes. Yea I know a lot of people there,good folks from around there, what I liked about it was things there were kinda layed back, at 18 we used to hang out on the court house square and we used to hitch our hourses over by Yorks body shop. Man those where the days. See if you know any of these people, Ballards, Bible, Marshall, Stweart, Pyburn, Yorks, Parson, Hills, Hillard, Brown, Coffee's dozer and welding,Kirby. Anyway I could go on about that place.Still drop in sometimes. Good talking to ya, give me a hollar sometime. Joe
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How did you start rig welding?