Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / which helmet?
- - By 4130 Date 12-16-2009 08:53 Edited 12-16-2009 09:08
So, I'm in the market for my first helmet.  I'd love one of the Speedglas 9100x but there's just no way I can shell out that much dough.  Probably never should have tried it on, oh well.

My needs aren't going to be as demanding as say a full time welder, so I'm writing to tell ya what I'm looking for and see if you guys have any suggestions.

My values go like this...glass size (3.5" x 2" min) and shade options (5-13) are on top.  Second would be comfort and extra shade options like tack and grind modes.  Third is stuff like shade sensitivity, etc.  As I'm still learning the trade at my own pace it probably would never be on my head for more than 30 minutes at a time.  I really don't care what it looks like, it def doesn't have to be brand name.

A hundred bucks or less if possible is where I'm aiming in price range, at least for now.

If you guys can suggest a proven good model for me I'd sure appreciate.

My buddy works for MSC and gets Sperian and Jackson Safety helmets at cost, but as I don't know a thing about either of them I'm fairly hesitant.  Either of these known to be any good? bad?

as always many thanks, and Merry Christmas
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-16-2009 10:20
My first welding shield was a Jackson Nexgen and paid about 260 for it. I thought it was the greatest at first but dam that thing was so freaking heavy, my neck was always hurting. I've tried the Miller Elite and it welded really well and tried the Speedglass shield as well. I'd say out of the three probally the Miller Elite was the clearest of the autodarks for me. I've heard the Jackson Boss is pretty good but have never tried one. I find that all of the autodarks I've tried there is a weird glare to them so that when I am welding and i see the arc there looks to be another arc right next to the arc I am seeing. I have tried several autodarks and they all seem to have this unless my eyes are that weird I don't know. Guys I work with say they never get burnt eyes useing a autodark while I find my eyes hurt more useing a autodark.

Since then now I buy a Fibre-metal which at the local welding store cost about 55 dollars and now found i can get the same shield at work for 30, it has the flip up lense so I can grind with it at well. There is another shield guys use at work that is even lighter and have seen it on ebay and at the local welding store but not sure of the name of it. I use to use a big window permanant lense now i use a 2x4 1/2 I think it is because I'm always welding in such tight places and now that I've been useing this shield and lense for so long I really never needed that big huge lense it just added more useless weight to my head.

This is just my opinion on autodarks, hell you may get a autodark and be like hell yeah this thing is great. My eyes are just very sensitive
so it's hard to find what I like.

Chris
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-16-2009 20:55
As far as the "two arc's", I've noticed that too sometimes. You can get different clear lens's for the front and I've found that the cheaper, thinner cover plates tend to give you the two arc's. Try a heavier front cover plate and see if that helps.(That is if you are using a cheap, thinner one)
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-17-2009 00:12
strange I remember always buying a good brand clear lense but nice to know this now. I can't find my nexgen lense to save my life I've looked all over the house for it, it's nice to use when you gotta do alot of tacking but if I'm straight welding I use a permanent lense
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-16-2009 10:54
I don't favor the auto darkening kind and as mentioned the main factors to consider are weight and comfort.
I favor a wide view as in production it makes it more convenient to reposition for the next weld to produce.
I have always been satisfied with Jackson, Huntsman and others wanted too much for their name.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-16-2009 15:03
I learned on the old fiber glass flip downs, but once i made the switch I would never go back and we're not allowed to use non AD hoods at my job.

Personally I use the elite, but that's a little out of your price range.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/weldinghelmets/prohobby.php  the pro hobby is very good though.

Also of all the gear to skimp on, don't get cheap with your helmet. you only have one set of eyes, and it pretty much determines how well you'll be able to do see your job.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-16-2009 17:10
I think the Jackson EQ's (auto with no adjustments) can be had for about $160 in the 2"X4"  and takes standard size clear cover plates. I've used mine (minimally) for 15? years. One thing I always recommend for those having to buy their own supplies is to get a hood that accepts (cheap) the standard size clear lenses. This is probably the least expensive A/D from a reputable manufacturer.
As metarinka stated, do not go cheap (Harbor Freight).
Parent - By cdd (**) Date 12-16-2009 21:39
My first was a Fibre Metal "pipe hood", real good hood, now i use a Sarges Pancake and a custom made pancake from some fella in west texas. All take 2x4 lenses and clears
Parent - - By 4130 Date 12-16-2009 22:50 Edited 12-16-2009 23:15
Can anyone tell me how the 3M Speedglas 100V stacks up against other helmets?

Found here for $140...
http://cgi.ebay.com/3M-SPEEDGLAS-100V-BLACK-WELDING-HELMET-07-0012-31BL_W0QQitemZ360216728353QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53de971321

Also, how about the Miller Performance model (between the Pro-Hobby and Elite models)
found here for $181...
http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-PERFORMANCE-SERIES-BLACK-WELDING-HELMET-232035_W0QQitemZ350240551389QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518bf6b1dd
Parent - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 12-17-2009 00:16
I have a few different helmets, Jackson, huntsman, pancakes made by sarge.  I use several different lenses,  but they are all A/D  and not adjustable.    Just my preferance, but I want no gadgets or adjustments It either works or it doesn't. 

The miller helment you have on the second link in my opinion is junk .  Maybe others have had better luck but, I know two guys that have them and have had problems. One guy returned his and they gave him a new one and the new one developed problems in less than a week.

If it was me I'd spend $100 on a good lense and stick it in a $30 jackson helmet for shop work.  Jackson is light weight,  and you can by a sellstrom, radnor,arc one and many others that are good in the $100 dollar range.

If you hold your torch or grinder at the right angle these lenses won't flash (so I never had the need for the fancy lenses)  and they work good for cutting with a plasma torch. I prefer shade 10 but everybody is different

Just my two cents 
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 12-17-2009 02:27
I bought a Jackson Nexgen and the lens came apart ,replaced it with an Optrel and lately its been flashing me . I went back to good old fashioned neck operated hood. If I buy another AD it will be the cheapest thing I can find so when it tears up I'm not out $200 or $300
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-17-2009 23:19 Edited 01-03-2010 12:43
My first one was a Jackson with a flip up lense. Bought it about 12 years ago. Any shade I want, flip it up and grind. Drop it on the floor from the ladder or off a rooftop, replace the lense if needed and continue on. Had a auto before, was not impressed especially when a walkboard fell on it and destroyed it. $30 Jackson, mig, tig or stick works great for me and never get flashed.

On a serious note though, under $100 clams you can try one of those Chicago something or other's. Seems like I saw a vid on youtube or something where a guy did a comparison between a highend and one of those Chicago's. He compared the grind mode, changing the shade and all that fancy stuff and said for the price, less than 100 clam's for the home hobbiest you could not beat it. There were several guys at the school that had them as their first hoods.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-18-2009 01:42 Edited 01-02-2010 18:06
I saw that one also Shawn! It was a Northern Tool brand Auto darkening hood which was better overall than the top of the line model which I believe was a Jackson Next Gen, and was going for 49 bucks at the time! $9 over 300+ dollars??? You know which one I'm going to buy for work!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 12-18-2009 03:40
i use to use the a/o inlaid gold in a huntsman or pancake.
now i use miller elites they last about two years then take a ****.
If you read the disclaimer inside the hood they all say not to be used
for out of position welding as one little dingleberry in the right spot and
your 300.00 hood is junk. I tried a speedglass hood once and was welding alot
of pipes in position real low to the floor. The slag pile built up on the left side of
the hood and actually caught on fire lmao. you should have seen the look on the
face  of the guy at airgas when i asked for my money back. the hood lasted
1 1/2 days. I got a refund and was told never to come in the store again  lol
Parent - - By 4130 Date 12-18-2009 06:59
Thanks everybody for all the help.  My heads still spinning from looking at all the different models and options.

Wish I was hearing better things about the Miller Performance model because that's the way I was leaning.  Can anybody else give an opinion on this particular model?
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 12-28-2009 21:33
I weld with a Miller Elite, but then again - I'm mostly a TIG welder, indoors. I do use it about 60+ hours a week for about the last two years though, and love it. I also have a huge need for the 4 sensors on it, as I weld in some tight spaces, odd small angles as well. Some guys that were back in welding classes with me had the next model down, which I believe is the one you speak of, and if you are planning on using this one part time - it is great bang for your buck.

I have used my Elite for many many hours of SMAW, MIG, and other types of welding as well, and it worked wonderfully for those as well. I like my big window, adjustability, and it's been very very reliable. Some of the other welders at work have also bought these after borrowing mine. I understand others are better for more "rugged" applications, such as pipelining, etc... but this one's great for what I do, and a great all around helmet.

This is a very personal thing to each weldor, we all have our opinions on this - go with what you think will work best for you, and scrape the extra bucks for that little bit better one if you can, you won't regret it.

Regards,
Jenn
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-02-2010 18:17
I have one of those also and it's an excellent helmet for GTAW!!! I really like the response from the four sensors which for me, gives me confidence that the lens will darken as advertised as well as the ability to change shades on the fly so to speak. ;)

Hey Jenn, How is the battery life on your helmet? I ask this because if I remember correctly, after around a little over a year and a half of constant use (seven days a week!), I had to replace the batteries but other than that, the helmet has been worth it's price even though it was given to me for free which is always the best price!!! :) :) :)

Anywho, glad to see you're doing good for yourself with Alstom! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 01-02-2010 23:36
Henry,

I actually have two of these. One I purchased personally, and one work insisted on purchasing for me (hey, no arguments here!). I have had my personal one longer, coming up on about 2 years, no batter replacement needed. The one I've had less time, I've had to replace the batteries... Which makes me wonder sometimes. I do weld at low amps tho, with artificial lights. The other I've used more with SMAW, higher amps (aluminum GTAW welding), and other applications that may charge it back up better. Just my theory though. But what's a few batteries (work provided) once a year for two helmets?? A drop in the bucket, and not a penny from my pocket.

Always a pleasure to hear from you. :)

And yes, I'm doing very well at Alstom, couldn't ask for a better employer. Professional, pays well, treats me well, and surrounds me with individuals who are excellent craftsmen, and knowledgeable. I want to stay there forever! Best move I ever made, pestering them for a job - and proving myself!

Regards,
Jenn
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-03-2010 00:46
Great! I agree with you also regarding the batteries... I'm really happy that all is well with you dear!!! :) :) :)
HAPPY NEW YEAR JENN AS WELL AS EVERYONE ELSE IN HERE!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-29-2009 00:57
A hundred bucks or less might be a hard streach for what you have discribed.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-29-2009 01:07
one thing I didn't add about the different shields out there is the cover plate that goes between the welding lense and the hot sparks well I have learned big company will only carry a 2x4 lense or the 5 1/4 x 4 1/4 lense. You start buying these shields like speedglass and miller elite and you will probally be buying you're own polycarbonate lenses and they can get pricey after a while not only that but you forget to pick a few more up at the welding store and then you're out of lenses till you can get back there. Sure is nice that the company I work for provide that and most I have worked for do provide the standard size lenses. U might want to take that into consideration in buying a shield
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 12-29-2009 07:56 Edited 12-29-2009 08:14
I have an arc one shade 10 lense that I use in the sawmill for SMAW and in the shop for fitting.  It works great, but because it has no sensitivity adjustment, don't gouge with one!  Good GOD!  I was seeing stars for a week!  :)

For these reasons, I have a backup shade 10 omniview lense and a no-name(whatever princess auto had on hand...Weldmart or powerweld or something like that) shade 11 lense for in the shop where the auto isn't dark enough (ie, GMAW/FCAW.)  It's nice not needing some special, overpriced cover plate.  I've used so many different hoods, it's silly.  I've found that it generally comes down to the work you do, the weight of the helmet, how clear you want to see, which position (or several) that you mainly work in, and how much you are willing to spend!

I like my fibre-metal (or three, erm... ;)), but everyone will have their own preference.

For sawmill work, you don't want anything that you're not willing to replace...
Parent - By rigchaser85 (**) Date 01-03-2010 03:58
I have two hoods that i wouldn't trade. I got a radar cobra with a auto dark lense shade 10. This is light weight and durable just watch welding overhead because the hood is more like a plastic. I've had it for a about 5 years replaceed the lense once. (airgas $100) My second hood is a pipe liner cut to my liking with the same auto dark lense. It's a little heavier. (airgas $140) Hope this helps.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 01-03-2010 15:42
I carry a Jackson flip lens with a shade 10 omniview and a 1.0 cheater. And a Sarge's pancake with a Huntsman auto lens and a 1.25 cheater.
Parent - By dringge (*) Date 01-06-2010 13:27
I have used The Speedglass helmets for several years now. They are pricey. They have teated me well. My favorite part about them is the vents directly in front of my mouth that allows my breath to vent out. I have much fewer problems with glasses fogging up in either hot or cold weather. Also after a lunch of of burgers with onions I am glad to have all the fresh air in the hood I can get.
Parent - - By atramsdell (*) Date 01-06-2010 14:28
i bought a helmet for around 100 at first but ended up realizing it was a mistake. i'd go with a miller, i got a performance series and its comfortable has grind mode and good range of lense shade only has three sensors but it works great for me in all positions
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-07-2010 10:34
I thought I'd post again and share with ya. I just bought a new Jackson ummmmmm forget the model number but it is a flip up lense so you can weld and grind with it like the fibre metal, it's a spec heavier then the fibre metals but I'd say much better quality. I think I paid about 65 dollars for it plus shipping from weldingsupply.com. I went with the Jackson this time because seems like the fibre metals i had been going through them to much lately. I'm pretty abusive on my shields.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 01-09-2010 02:21
I used to be, but it got expensive replacing them every week!  :)

S'funny actually, how my helmets used to explode...

Err...for unknown reasons, yeah, that's it...  I'd be welding away, stop and POOF!  Plastic and glass would go everywhere!

Memories...
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / which helmet?