Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I would like to be a Rig welder, help.
- - By rranchero Date 12-31-2009 00:29
Hello my name is Jesus.

I took a welding course at the local college  tig/stick but did no finish, because I had gotten a job as a helper at a big company (fabricating marine risers), there I learned many things, I was given the chance to take a 1g welding test that was  with tig root and hp , fill and cap with SAW, I passed it.  i stayed there for 8 more months, where I did the same thing over and over, i learned a little bit of mig and fluxcore, until i had to quit because of personal reasons, now im ready to weld again, but this time I want to know what a rig welder need and does, what machine to buy, tools and so on,  If you guys could help me with some ideas. thank you
Parent - - By RockerB (**) Date 12-31-2009 19:38 Edited 12-31-2009 19:49
First and foremost, DEDICATION! Everyone has their own agenda for tools and equipment. If your gona pipeline, you'll want a good water cooled, engine driven welder. Traditionally, a Lincoln sa200, 200d, or a 300d. Many hands prefer a Vantage. You'll have to do the research on what suits you. I would say no less then 100' of lead and 100' of ground. Torch, hose, regulators, 2hole pins, squares, levels, clamps, hammers, barrel torches, at least a 4" beveling machine, and more. Basically, your gona fit most all you normal shop hand tools on to a 1ton truck. You want to be able to go onto a job and have everything you need to complete the job on your truck (tool wise). Most co supply bottles, rods, and consumables. Don't think that pipelining is just the same weld over and over. There is a lot of fabrication there too. That reminds me, the 1st thing I would in vest in is the pipeliners blue book. Read it, understand it, know it. You'll use it most everyday.

Rig welders are paid well as long as you can do what is required of your your trade. We are expected to have all the answers and have an exact plan of attack. That way when it doesn't fit or work, the engineers can blame it on us. The ones that get laid off first are the ones that aren't related to the boss and don't know how to fabricate. There is no such rule as to having too many tool in this line of work.

Once you have successfully accomplished the right to be called a rig welder, you'll be given the same fist name as the rest of the welders across the US. That's right, we all have the same first name!! You hear every time someone is talking about a welder. "Go get the F'n welder." or " Who's the F'n welder that welded that?" or "The F'n welder did it!". And you can lean up against that beast of a rig sipping coffee with a grin knowing that your one of the ranks now.      I wish you the beat of luck. 
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-31-2009 23:45
You have a point RockerB! My first job I was on and other's where they don't know me, "hey welder!" Sure is a great feeling! I mess around and tell them it's Mr. Welder! LoL!!
Parent - By RockerB (**) Date 01-01-2010 01:52
Its only a good feeling when the last ISO (if your lucky enough to get an ISO) you completed in the jacks fits up like a glove in the field.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-31-2009 20:55
What a guy should do first is finish that course in the college that you droped out of, pay your dues so to speak. What this industry needs is more people that will follow up on their education that don't run before they can walk. I only say this because I just spent the last two days working for free because buddy said he was a rig welder and my mistake as too hire him. Without asking for his tickets that will never happen again. So to end, eight months in a shop doing the exact same weld day in day out does not make for a qualified welder. Do yourself and everyone in the industry a favour and go to school then you may be ready to weld again.
Parent - By 63 Max (***) Date 01-01-2010 03:55
Just my 2 cents but I think ALL rig welders should be a helper for a welder for 2 years. This way they learn what will be expected of them and they can see if they can live this kind of life. It's not for everyone.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-01-2010 04:51
Buy the best welding machine you can afford and put it on the cheapest dependable 1 ton 2wheel drive truck. Buy a J&M Flat bed with a couple of tool boxes and rig up a place for gas bottles.
A good welding machine will wear out several pickups. Too many guys spend a lot of money on the truck and buy trouble with a half a$$ or wore out welding machine.
If you do not know about the old Lincolns, either get to know a good re-builder or buy a new one. I see a lot of Classic and Vantage 300 machines. Get one of these. A lot will depend on what you will be welding on. If you are going to do mostly stick, go with the Classic. Tig, Mig, go with the Vantage.
A basic Victor Journeyman cutting torch set basic hand tools and Bluebook
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-01-2010 06:04
in all seriousness do you really think that all it takes to be a rig welder
is a one ton truck an sa 200 and 100' of lead lmao. The reason rig welders are paid so good
is they are much more skilled than the single hand or shop welders. wow a 1g test im impressed,
go to your local scrap yard grab a few feet of 12" pipe and a couple feet of 8" pipe cut a 45deg
saddle on the 8" layout the 12" cut it to make the 8" saddle fit perfect. Now weld it up to x ray quality
lmao lmao.You need to start at the bottom work as a welders helper, get your ass back in welding school
hire on in some fabshop learn how to weld in every position with every welding process. you can have
a brand new truck a brand new machine but if you can't weld your gone. with your experience you'll
never make it out of the test booth if you can find any company dumb enough to test you with
absolutly no experience in the field. And I don't care who your daddy is can't weld can't stay
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-01-2010 08:18
I know it's tuff hearing these guys bashing on you but there right. You need to get back in school and learn all you can then after that bounce around and learn everything you can. My first welding job was 10 bucks an hour and I've just been steadly moving up. Now i'm about 30 an hour with the bennys. I don't think there are many guys who can fresh outta trade school start a rig welding thing up. I mean there maybe that rare breed who father had been teaching them since they were 8 but not to many. I'd ultimately like to get a rig going but it aint gonna happen anytime soon. I know i don't have the experience yet. I could go out buy the bling bling truck I got the welder already and get some more tools but I wouldn't last no more then a day. I'm not affraid to admit that. I'm just working my way up that totum pole.
I was like you thinking yeah I could get into rig welding right outta school and I think this is most welders dreams but reality is you gotta put the time in and work you're way up.

1G hmmmm I wonder if they can roll a 400 mile long pipe for me to weld??? couldn't help it :)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-01-2010 12:40
"1G hmmmm I wonder if they can roll a 400 mile long pipe for me to weld???"

I could'nt help LMAO!!!

What everyone is saying is right on. No way your gonna make it with dropping out of school, 8 months of experience in a shop and a 1G. My kid is 9 and hope to have him doing a 1G before long. I'm not trying to take away from your accomplishment either but you need to say I've done a 3G or 5G/6G and even then to most it won't mean anything cause they'll still test you when you roll up on the job. Everytime you do one test, you need to think about the next one and the challenge's that it offer's. That's how I push myself. Did 3G, then 4G. 5G downhand, then 6G uphand then thought about 3G with tig and figured it would be more challenging to do it on pipe. Can walk the cup on my cap, lay down awesome filler's passes and have a suckish root pass which means everything else don't mean sh_t. I still keep plugging away, get down in the shop and cut off pipe, bevel and weld most saturday's, sunday's and holidays.....like today. You've gotta have the self motivation cause there ain't nobody else gonna care if you can do a 6g tig or anything else for that matter.

I've got a rig but I already had the truck. Am I ready to hit the pipeline as a rig welder? Nope, I don't have experience on the line, I could pass the 12" butt weld but just like Joe said, layout a branch on a 45 degree angle? Ha! I guess I could but it would take awhile. This is the kind of stuff you learn from experienced hands. I'd also like to add that field experience is gonna be different than shop experience. Things are gonna happen out in the bush where you can't send your parts guy to run and grab something so you can make it happen, your gonna have to think on your toe's from time to time and make it happen. At least that's what I've discovered while working on some broke piece of equipment. "What can I use to fix this and make it safe at the same time, PLUS get the machine back up and running again?????" While your eyes scan the ground, back of your truck.....back of the other guys truck for something. It's called thinking outside the box. I think some people can't do this, at least I have met a few.
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 01-01-2010 14:30
  Rig welders more skilled than single hand??? Doubt that. How many pipeliners know which end of a TIG rig to grab?
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-01-2010 17:50
Since many work in building trades jobs when there are no main lines being built, I'd say it's a pretty good guess that between 80 and 90% are carrying UA tig papers at any one time.
I'm hoping they do know which end of the torch to grab because it'd be hard to make those tests if they didn't.

JTMcC.
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-01-2010 18:19
rig welders don't just weld pipeline,  they also work refineries,powerplants etc.
Im not sure about 798 a straight pipeline local how many pipeliners know how to tig
thats not where they make their money. most of the rig welders I know can do it all
GTAW, SMAW,FCAW. GMAW on any type of material CS ,SS, CHROME  it don't matter.
IMHO i think every single hand out there dreams of someday being a real rig welder
Im sure alot of guys make alot of money welding on the old coral & tractor and there
is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Id like to see any single hand tig welder do
a hot tie in on a 36" lying on their back in a  crampt bellhole in 120f  weather
welcome to the real world
Parent - By okwelder82 (***) Date 01-02-2010 03:15
JTMcc is right. Im a 798 welder but since things have been slow I took my UA tig cert tests so I would be more marketable. Im sure im not the only one that has done that.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-01-2010 17:16
Yes I do.
A rig welder is a welder that has a welding machine on a truck or trailer that goes out of the shop to weld. There are a lot of rig welders that do not have to make xray quality welds. They weld on farms, feedlots, factories, and other places.
And you are right about busting the test. But if you keep on welding and learning, soon you will be passing the test. And why should one give the benefit of their labor to someone else when they can profit themselves.
If you have the money to rig up and are willing to take the time and sometimes humiliation of busting some test, but keep on showing up and working on your craft, why not?
Parent - - By rranchero Date 01-01-2010 14:30
hello, thank you guys for these answers, some of them hit me hard, but it just makes me wan't to try harder, also I need to specify that the 1g test was what the company required, somes month later I was required to weld in every position, all of our welds were x-rayed and PAUT. I wasn't sure if i needed to go back to school, but now i know  I should, I had to quit because we were getting 72 hours weekly  and the company was paying me 16 hr for helper, when i passed the test, they almost doubled the pay, I saved some money and wanted to start buying things I would need.
The reason I stared this thread, was to get a view of what a rig welder did.
Parent - - By 63 Max (***) Date 01-01-2010 16:17
If a pipeliner is what you want to do then get all the experience you can. There are welders out here with a few years under their belt that dont know some of the basic things they should know. I was taking a test for Williams last week and there were 2 other welders there that have been welding for 3 years and 4 years for another company. They never helped a welder like I think they all should. Anyway the tester told us we needed to do a 6g 12"  and a 12" branch tee .475 wall pipe and we had to lay out the branch tee without a templet and 2 bead cap the tee. Will both of them looked at each other like they had know Idea what he was talking about. When he walked away they were walking around like a chicken with his head cut off. I start getting mine ready and both of them came to me and asked me how to lay out a tee without a templet, what 6g meant and a 2 bead cap.  I said you are kidding right, lol.  That's when I started asking them about their experience. They also said they never took a test using .475 wall pipe, they only used .250 wall pipe. Then they wanted me to show them how to lay out their tee's and what 6g meant. They also said the thickest pipe they ever welded on a project was .343 wall pipe they think. I couldn't help but laugh. Anyway I got them started in the right direction on their 45 (6g) lol. I got done with my 6g and they were still filling. The tester bent and pulled my straps and they were still filling. Oh yeah I forgot the rods we were to use were 6010 bead hotpass and 7010 fill and cap, they said they never used 7010 before. When I noticed they were still filling I looked in their rod buckets and seen they were using all 5/32 rods. They said they didn't know how to run 3/16 rods, I just couldn't believe what I was hearing and walked away. When I got ready to lay out my branch tee I told them they could watch if they wanted but I'm not going to lay it out for them, that was a mistake. I got 100 questions from them.  I could go on and on but I think you should get what I'm saying, EXPERIENCE IS WHAT YOU NEED.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-01-2010 23:48
I've bounced around a few places but I'd say truely my first welding job was 17 an hour but lasted a month the next one was 10 an hour, it's all I could find at the time. The 17 an hour job was at a papermill and I still beat myself up about it, i wish I would have maybe stayed with the mill job because dam i learned so much in one months time there it was like going to school for a year but at the time i had no idea of how to weld pipe so that is why I left the mill; to go back to school for pipe and everything else. When you get outta school and can get on with a papermill or something like that I'd recommend to do it. I am so greatful I got to work with all those old timers there. I will never forget what I learned at that place. Down fall was there was no health insurance at that place and every job like that has had no health insurance.
I sometimes want to go back to work at a place like that because it was all stick and learned alot but because i didn't have the health insurance is why I never have gone back. The mill I got to see and learn how to fabricate stuff up which i am lacking, another term for it is ghetto rigging as I like to use LOL
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 01-02-2010 02:16
so what was the outcome of their test? im just interested! lol
Parent - By 63 Max (***) Date 01-02-2010 02:49
Oh I guess I should of said that. Well they didn't make it past the 6g. The tester did let them cut their straps but their straps were dirty as hell. Not a big surprise.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-17-2010 13:52
Max that was a good post! I've found out by watching students that the problem of not knowing what a 6G is or how to lay out a branch falls on the "welder" him/herself. We had a guy in school that bounced all over the place. He'd start talking big money and this and that and me and the teacher said something about 5G and he said, "which way is that?". Nice guy, talked like he'd been around the world 100 times though. He actually told me and the teacher that the welders don't talk like that out on the job anyhow, 5G/6G and all that technical talk. He went away and we both laughed. I think learning this stuff falls into the lap of the guy with the stinger/torch. In school I surely did not need to know ASME code or API but I got on here and have been learning all I can. Same with the pipe positions, they show you in a book at school but it's not pounded in your head, that's up the the future welder. Nothing in our books about the 6GR but I know what it is now and could just about tell you the allowable clearance and set up for the box from heart. Will I ever use it? Don't know but it sure is good to have that little tidbit in my head, at least for me. I think alot of it has to do with the drive of the individual and what they want to do or know. It's surprising to talk to some of the students that have been in there for a year or better and you say 6G and it's the classic deer in the headlights. It's not the teacher, he uses the technical terms all the time, either they don't want to pick it up or the just call it flat or standing up. LOL!!
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-02-2010 03:57
What a rig welder does is anything and everything at any given time of day or night and if ur in the oilfiled the weather dont matter either if its raining wled it if its snowing weld it get that rig back on line are you done yet hurry up i dont have all day etc.
Parent - By fordsux8269 (**) Date 01-02-2010 04:17
I just recently learned that if your a young guy( I dont know how old you are) your **** better be perfect now days. A guy busted me the other day on ******** deal. I had a very small piece of under cut on the bottom of my 6g. He nit picked it apart I said that it was well within code and he proceeded to say we're not goin by that today because its my call. All the hands that work there told me that he busts all younger welders. So i didnt make a scene or anything I just rolled up my trck and left. There will always be another one down the road.
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 01-04-2010 19:43
New trucks, slick beds, and a paycheck are the only perks.

Questions:
Can you layout a 12 on 12 branch and weld out it 3 hours?
Do you know how to cut down a 90 degree fitting /45 hot bend/or a 3R sweep to any given angle?
Will you work in the rain?
Will you lay in water and make a weld?
Will you work any hours?
Will you hook YOUR $55,000 welding rig to a D-8 and be lowered down a slope/"cliff"?

Failling to do any of this, at the drop of a hat, means you will be fired.

There is a reason rig welders make a lot of money and most of them will tell you its still not enough.

Its a long hard row to hoe, if I could do it all agian, I'm not so sure that I would.
Parent - By jeff parker (**) Date 01-15-2010 04:54
lol so how bout it you signed back up for class yet or what
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I would like to be a Rig welder, help.