Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification Manual Stud Welding
- - By hayesm Date 12-14-2009 18:27
What type of Welder Qualification Test should be used for GMAW fillet welding of headed studs (Any Dia.) to plate? I'm under the impression that because it is a small radius, a small pipe test dia. would work, like Option #3 Fig. 4.20. Any thoughts ??
Parent - - By rfieldbuilds (**) Date 12-27-2009 03:29 Edited 01-06-2010 07:40
check chpt 7 aws d1.1. Stud welder certification is performed on a daily basis to qualify the process, welder and essentially the equipment. Any change in lead length or machine can change performance. I went round and round with other contractors and CWI inspectors on this. Basically, there is not personel certification per d1.1...   D1.1-2006 says, per clause 7.1 and 7.4, qualification is one per shift, per welder and per equipment or any change in one of the above paramenters that qualification should be requalified.

UMM... Yeah, I stand corrected. The above applies to stud guns, not manual SMAW or GMAW processes. Again, you really SHOULD read chpt 7 for specifics. See 7.5 and tables 5.8 & 7.2 at a minimum. Good Luck!
Parent - By hayesm Date 01-05-2010 21:44
I understand that is for Automatic welding using a stud gun. But what about manual welding qualification?
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-27-2009 10:57
hayesm
Welcome to the Forum
I don't have the code with me now but the equipment referred to in the other posters reply mainly concerns Stud Gun Applications.
But as mentioned welders would have to test daily with the inspector showing proficiency in joining the stud to base metal.
You are wanting to attach them with GMAW, there are minimum weld size requirements for different diam. studs contained in the code.
The welder would have to be qualified to the weld approved by the customer for this application.
Fillet Weld Qualification?
Fillet weld size?
Material qualification range?
Position ( I knew I was forgetting another one)?
...?
This has nothing to do with pipe or tubular.
A fillet weld break test should suffice.
be sure to remove the flux tip from the stud before attaching.
Just my thoughts again
Welcome
Marshall

Parent - - By hayesm Date 01-05-2010 21:48
Thanks Marshal, I will go with the basic fillet weld test.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-05-2010 23:43
is it a repair or modification
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 01-06-2010 02:24
As mentioned above the daily qualifications in 7.7.4 only apply to "stud welding operators".  A person performing manual or semiautomatic welding is not a welding operator, so 7.7.4 does not apply and qualifications of "welders" would fall under Section 4 Part C.  Looking at Table 4.10, I see that a welder qualified on a groove weld plate test is qualified to make production groove welds on pipe, but is restricted by Note C to diameters equal to or greater than 24 inches.  But for production fillet welds on pipe, Note C is not applied so there is no diameter restriction for fillet welds on pipe.  So if the welder qualified on a groove weld plate test can make production fillet welds on all pipe diamters, he would also be permitted to make production fillet welds on all diameters of studs.  I believe I have seen a published interpretation that supports this.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 01-06-2010 19:40
Guys,

I'm playing devils advocate here.  A correction was made in the 2008 D1.1 to the ASTM specification reference in clause 7.2.6, indicating that the base material for studs is cold drawn bar conforming to ASTM A29 grades 1010 thru 1020.  This is not a prequalified base metal in Table 3.1, so if studs are to be manually welded with an approved process, including fillet welded repairs, it seems that the procedure would have to be qualified.  The option of fillet welding studs is addressed in Section 7, but when fillet welded, the fact that this is not a prequalified base metal changes things.... I think.
There is a note at the end of clause 7.1..... Note: Approved steels; for studs, see 7.2.6; for base metals, see Table 3.1 (Groups I and II).  I understand that A29 grades 1010 thru 1020 are approved base metal for the studs, and I understand that they can be applied to any base metal within Group I and II.... but if the two base metals are joined together manually, it seems that a PQR would be required, simply because A29 is not shown in Table 3.1        
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 01-06-2010 20:44
I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent, but I agree that a strict reading of the code will get you there.

This is in the commentary:
"Studs welded by the use of automatically timed welding equipment or fillet welded by SMAW are considered to have been welded by a prequalified WPS."

Two problems.  First, it's in the commentary, not on the code.  Second, it only mentions SMAW, not GMAW or FCAW, but I would think that was simply an oversight when they added FCAW & GMAW.  That base metal isn't any less prequalified for GMAW/FCAW than it is for SMAW, so if it's not an issue for SMAW, it shouldn't be an issue for the other processes either.

Hg
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 01-06-2010 20:47
I agree with you.  I personally think it was just an oversight.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-06-2010 20:53
D1.1 Clause 3.3 pretty much sums up prequalified materials....only what is listed in Table 3.1 is prequalified, no exceptions...however I think that you could use option #2 and call out D1.1 Clause 3.4 and get the EOR to approve the use of the stud material in a prequalified WPS.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 01-07-2010 04:16
Some additional words to consider:

7.5.5 FCAW, GMAW, SMAW Fillet Weld Option.
At the option of the Contractor, studs may be welded
using prequalified FCAW, GMAW, or SMAW processes,
provided the following requirements are met: ...

7.6.1 Purpose. Studs which are shop or field applied in
the flat (down-hand) position to a planar and horizontal
surface shall be considered prequalified by virtue of the
manufacturer’s stud base qualification tests (Annex G),
and no further application testing shall be required. The
limit of flat position is defined as 0°–15° slope on the surface
to which the stud is applied. Some nonprequalified
stud applications that require tests of this section are the
following:
(1) Studs which are applied on nonplanar surfaces or
to a planar surface in the vertical or overhead positions.
(2) Studs which are welded through decking. The
tests shall be with material representative of the condition
to be used in construction.
(3) Studs welded to other than Groups I or II steels
listed in Table 3.1.

So, if studs are welded in the flat (down-hand) position to Group I or II steels and not through decking, they would not seem to fit in the category of stud applications that do require qualification tests.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 01-07-2010 15:52
But that still refers to automatic stud welding.

Unfortunately, although the commentary makes the rather sensible intent clear, there's no way to get there from the code itself, so it all depends on how flexible the inspector or engineer will be about intent vs. letter of law.  If someone wanted to get all legalistic, they could probably make you do a PQR for fillet welding of studs.

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification Manual Stud Welding