Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 12" on 12" branch
- - By plrwelder (*) Date 01-08-2010 20:16
Hi everyone.I am new to this site and had some questions and was hoping you guys could help. I'm confused.

I am relativly new to being a rig welder  I have taken three 12 on 12 tests now and everytime they have had to be different. what I mean by this is the first one I thought was the correct way (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

test #1: I cut out out my branch and beveled the throat part of the saddle, cut my hole in the header in the side so that the branch would be running horizontal, and welded it out. This test passed.

test#2: I cut my branch out beveled the throat, started to cut the hole in the header the same as I had done before and the inspector stopped me and said I was doing it wrong said the hole needed to be in the top of the header so the branch would be running vertical. so I did it and this one also passed.

test#3: I cut out my branch and started to bevel the throat when I was stopped and asked what I was doing.......I explained... and was told this was wrong I was to strait cut the branch and bevel my hole in the header...... also welded this one with the branch in the vertical position.

So my question Is which of these is proper? I am confused now to the point I don't know which way to do it the next time I take one. any help is greatly appreciated
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 01-08-2010 20:29
one is a saddle-in and the other is a saddle-on
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 01-08-2010 20:34
i have always sen beveling throat and ears. and weld it like a T
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 01-08-2010 20:34
All the 12 on 12's I have taken have been welded out with the riser looking down. I lay them out and tacked it with the branch looking up. I beveled the throats, left the ears square and the hole in the header square. The branch test varies a lot from gas company to gas company, so it always best to ask exactly how they want it welded.
Parent - - By plrwelder (*) Date 01-08-2010 20:44
So with the branch running vertical down onto the header is how you have taken most?
Attachment: test.bmp (576k)
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 01-08-2010 20:47
No, with the branch running out of the header towards the floor
Parent - - By plrwelder (*) Date 01-08-2010 20:49
okay gotcha that when you start your weld progress youd start at the ears and run down to the throat.....I haven't done that way yet
Attachment: test2.bmp (576k)
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 01-08-2010 21:06
Yep, that is how I have taken them
Parent - By plrwelder (*) Date 01-08-2010 21:09
thanks a bunch I wonder why I haven't had to take one that way
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 01-08-2010 21:14
you dont want to start at your ears. that is were you will cut your straps you don't want to start or stop in the middle of a coupon. Few of us took one the other day and every one had slightly different styles but for the most part.  your leg is looking at the floor as already stated. When you cut your header you want to put a spacer inbetween your leg and header and trace the inside and out side of your leg and square cut the hole in your header! (cut on isde line so leg is setting on header)  On the leg I don't bevel the ears (some people do) if your cut out is tight enough you don't need a bevel to get your stringer in. I start to one side of the ear and come across and I don't put my tacks on the ear.  Most of the time the fit is tight enough you need a wedge to open it up a little.  Now were your leg meets the header at the 90 degree point I bevel the leg pretty good so I can get a heavy stringer in there and lots of new metal. Like I said every body has their on style or method.  I use a 3/32 rod to set my gap on 1/8 stringer some guys break clear lenses to set their gap it's just what ever works for you

Oilfield companies and some of the inspectors can make you jump through hoops.  they may want a laced bead, double bead, lh uphill, even leg looking up at sky.  But for the most part it's widley excepted that the leg points down and it's a downhill test believe that's what the api states any way.

just my two cents hope it helps
Parent - - By plrwelder (*) Date 01-08-2010 21:24
thanks so much again that does make since
Parent - - By Joe Davidson (**) Date 01-10-2010 01:49
It does vary from company to company, but all the branches I have taken the leg always looked down. Some were downhill, some uphill, even had one inspector who had me cut the hole in the header a 1/4" smaller. When I put the bead in he wanted it to be a 1/4" fillet on the inside when I was done. He also wanted me to run 8010 uphill for the cap. I gave him a funny look and commented I had never run 8010 uphill but would be happy to use LoHi for the uphill cap. He told me to go ahead and finish it downhill. I will say this, every test I have taken I was told or had a written procedure handing to me before starting. This told me how I was to take the test. I would just ask when you get ready to start.
Parent - By pipehead (***) Date 01-10-2010 04:45
Get used to it! everytime you turn around someone will want something different. I had to to weld one up that the fill and cap pass on one half was 70++ and the other half was lo-hi.

So company will change it up.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 12" on 12" branch