Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless arc rod
- - By 8898jsmit (*) Date 01-05-2010 04:51
Anyone have any experience with Harris, Lincoln Redbarron, or Lincoln Bluemax welding rod?  I have a large stainless project begining in a week or so and was curious as to what your opinions are.  The harris is nearly $2 a pound cheaper.  Would be run in all position including vert. down.  Thanks
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 01-05-2010 04:55
I've run some harris and it's okay... I've heard the redbarron is pretty good stuff.
Rig work or shop? need help
Parent - By hillbilly (**) Date 01-05-2010 05:20
I've only run the Bluemax, so I can't compare it to the others. It was contractor supplied aswell. It ran well and performed as it was supposed to.
Parent - - By 8898jsmit (*) Date 01-08-2010 14:22
I'll maybe give them both a try as it comes in 10lb boxes.  Sounds like the redbarron might be the best choice in the end though.  The project is just a couple 15' head gates in the S. Platte river.  Already have a couple guys lined up to help.
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 01-08-2010 16:28
Aveasta is the probably the best. Bluemax runs better than Red Baron in my own opinion. Hobart and Esab are decent but I dont care fore Mckay at all.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-08-2010 16:44
I think ST is right. We've never matched the Europeans in SS stick.
The old Oerlikon ran like some of the best CS LH.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-08-2010 17:28
Great one that Oerlikon :)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-08-2010 19:24
Little on the pricey side, but as a welder I loved the stuff.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-08-2010 20:45
I assume you are running E3XX-15 if you are welding in all positions. If you are considering something along the lines of E3XX-16 or 17 you will have problems with out-of-position work due to the fluidity of the weld puddle and there is a problem with obtaining fusion to the root if you are doing fillet welds. In general the stainless electrodes do not have an aggressive deep penetrating arc.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-08-2010 23:28
Good point about using the proper electrode for out of position work Al! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-09-2010 10:56
Thanks Henry.

How are you feeling these days?

I am on an interesting repair project this week. A large steel casting (about 20 feet long, 8 feet wide, and 6 feet deep) cracked and is now being repaired. I cannot go into details because of the confidential nature of the industry involved.

I have worked about about 58 hours since Tuesday morning testing welders on three shifts and monitoring welding operations. I took me three days to develop the repair procedure, which killed New Year's Day, Saturday, and Sunday. Now we have 12 welders (4 per shift) welding around the clock completing the repair. We also qualified back-up welders just in case a welder does not make it in for any reason.

I eat this stuff up! I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing. All right, that might be a stretch, but there are only a couple of things I can think of that I would rather be doing. It definitely is not a job for someone that does not like to get his or her hands dirty!

Got to go. I just got back to the hotel at 5:00 AM and the restaurant is about to open and am I ever hungry. The last meal I had was breakfast yesterday. Thank the Lord for junk food!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-10-2010 03:12
Hi Al!

I'm hanging in there buddy!!! ;) You know me... If it doesn't kill me, nothing will!!! ;) ;) ;) I am getting bored of the friggin constant medical crap which leaves me unable to work full time but, it's probably meant to be that way for now, so I don't fight it as much... I guess it means that I'm getting better because I'm starting to get "ants in my pants" to go back to work full time, and I could use the money as well because the meds are getting expensive even with the copayments!!! ;) I might think about going to either Mexico, or Canada for some of them soon if the prices continue to rise, but heck! if that's the only thing that's keeping me up late these days, then It's not so bad. :) :) :)

I'm glad to see that you're really busy these days, and that does sound like an interesting job to say the least!!! :) :) :) Keep them honest Al!!! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 01-09-2010 15:52
If I recall correctly, the Blue Max is   -16 rod and is not for all positions.  The Red Baron is   -15 and is for all positions.

The Blue Max probably does run smoother in the downhand positon.

Griff
Parent - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 01-09-2010 16:13 Edited 01-09-2010 16:16
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/consumableseries.aspx?browse=104|9743|&locale=1033
here is the chart I believe they are all good for all positions except vert down.

Edit yep just saw that the one  red baron is o.k for downhill.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-10-2010 02:38
My recolection is that -16 is AC-DC and that -15 is DC only. Comments?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-10-2010 04:35
Hi Dave!

You are correct about the two different types of suffix numbers, but tey also represent two different flux compositions as well which are crucial in determining which of the two would be better suited for out of position welding... For instance...

-15 electrodes operate optimally with DC current, reverse polarity (DCEP). The flux coating contains substantial quantities of limestone and fluorspar and produces a globular transfer and large, hot-appearing arc weld puddle. the slag is quick freezing and the freezing line can be seen directly behind the arc. The fast freezing characteristic facilitates operation in the vertical and overhead positions favorably when compared to -16, or AC-DC covered electrodes.

For this reason DC lime electrodes as they are sometimes also called, are often preferred in pipe welding... The bead profile is convex, and is best for highly restrained root passes and for maximum impact strength at cryogenic temperatures.

- 16 electrodes operate on either AC, or DCEP, otherwise known as DC Reverse polarity... The coating contains dominant amounts of rutile (Titania), medium amounts of limestone and limited amounts of fluorspar... Arc Transfer is spray-like, arc stability excellent and spatter loss low... All size diameters strike and re-strike easily, and this electrode has a higher deposition rate which is better suited for the flat and horizontal positions. The weld beads are smooth, uniform and of excellent appearance (flat to slightly convex).

These electrodes can also be used in all positions, but can be harder for the welder to control out of position than with a DC Limestone electrode especially in groove welds and achieving adequate penetration in fillet welds that are out of position also.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-11-2010 03:26
For quite a few years the only DC machine We had was an engine drive, so I had to stick with the AC capable electrodes if I wanted welding to be convinient in the shop. The times I used the -16 electrodes I was able to manipulate the work, so I never found out how hard it might be to work out of position with them. They did lay down a smooth bead.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 01-10-2010 15:17
I do not recall on that point.  We were only running DC+.

Griff
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-10-2010 20:56
Remember to store these electrodes like any electrode that has a limestone base covering. This is a requirement if you are welding to AWS D1.6.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Yardbird (*) Date 01-11-2010 02:45
Dave, You are correct, when I worked at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard. They used -l5 , instead of -16 because they didn' want people taking rods home and using them on their AC cracker boxes.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless arc rod