Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / lincoln square wave 175
- - By mcavana (**) Date 09-15-2003 22:00
anybody used this welder? Thinking about picking this one up for my shop. I will be mostly welding thin pipe in aluminum, stainless, and carbon. any help or comments will be greatly appreciated. what did the sales man not tell me?

what is the big difference between this welder and the invertec?

what about the miller Syncrowave® 180 SD Runner? or the Dynasty 200 SD?

thanks!

"Just stick it in there!"
Parent - - By mcavana (**) Date 09-16-2003 02:40
l
Parent - By COLBYNEIBERT Date 09-16-2003 04:40
I dont know much about the miller but i personally own the lincoln 175 and i put it through heavy use and i must say it holds up and runs great i mainly use mine for heavy wall pipe stick and nothing larger than sch.80 for tig in carbon an stainless i did put a scratch start tig rig on it i have the foot pedal but dont use it over all the only thing i dont like is it dont have a digital read out but i would still make the purchase again
Parent - By ScottV (**) Date 09-16-2003 12:13
I would look at the Thermal-arc prowave 185,before I bought anything.It is cheaper then the Miller 200 sd,at about $1,800.00 complete.It a has way more features then the sd Miller,and is on par with the dx model 200.The main difference is the Miller will run on 120 volts.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-16-2003 12:14
Mac,

If Aluminum GTA is going to be a day in and day out thing for you than I would suggest a machine that has a balence control that you can adjust. Some of the lower tier setups have an auto balence control that I feel are unsuitably limiting for professional work.

Also if you even think you may be required to make repairs on heavy aluminum castings or wrought alum over 1/4 inch in thickness I would urge you to consider a machine that can put out at least 250 amps AC.

Of the machines you listed the Dynasty is most flexible, however, if the costs were equal I would go with a Synchrowave 250. It is the workhorse of Millers line, has the most simple circuit board set up, which means least maintainence over time.
Parent - - By mcavana (**) Date 09-16-2003 12:41
ok, that was usefull info... there is definately a possability of having to work on heavy aluminum castings. If i were to go with the Synchrowave 250, which one would be the best bet? looks like their are 7 or 8 different packages... looks like the only one that comes with everything is the Syncrowave® 250 DX TigRunner with torch for about 3400. It is a water cooled system... is that good for my needs? how does this machine compare to the lincoln Precision TIG 275 Ready-to-Weld Package for about the same price?

More Info... this is for my engine shop. it will be used for fabrication of stainless and carbon mandrel bent exhausts... carbon and stainless turbo pipes and intercooler... exhaust manifolds... aluminum intakes... and roll cages. welding on cast aluminum will be something i come across here and there. Also, some production work will be done, requiring a higher duty cycle.

thanks for your responces!!!

mike
Parent - By rangerod (**) Date 09-16-2003 16:49
Mcavana

The only real difference, not that you will be able to tell, is the Lincoln Precision Tig 275 has the Microstart Technology for the high frequency & the miller is adjustable. Some of the other benifits that drove my choice of the Lincoln in my opinion are that the pulsing unit for the Lincoln can be purchased for $200 & easily installed into the front face of the machine not an add on unit. Another plus for me is that the Lincoln has more power than the Miller by like 40 amps (its not much but more always comes in handy when you need it) & the Lincoln was $300 cheaper than the Miller. I do not make purchases based on color but on all the machines merits (ex. capabilties, cost, power ect...) If the Miller, ESAB, Hobart had the upper hand in most of the catagories I would go with it. BTW have you looked in the For Sale section there is a Precision Tig 275 for sale $2200 all ready to go.

Rod
Parent - By jfolk (**) Date 09-17-2003 19:10
Yes, I own a Linclon SquareWave 175 and use it for stick welding up to 5/32 inch dia. electrodes and TIG on aluminum up to 1/2 inch using DCSP and Helium. It so far has been an excellent machine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / lincoln square wave 175