Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A really big fix
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By ross (***) Date 01-07-2010 21:23
The National Geographic show "World's Toughest Fixes" has contacted me looking for show ideas for complex, challenging welding projects.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/worlds-toughest-fixes

Any ideas?

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-07-2010 21:27
Welding of USC boilers.

Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-07-2010 21:44
Replacing the Water Walls (Retubing) of a large Power Boiler is a major undertaking worthy of 45 minutes airtime on TV. It is a "FIX" as opposed to just building something really big.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-07-2010 23:10 Edited 01-07-2010 23:30
I agree, but let's not just isolate it to the waterwalls alone because the super heater tubes can be a real cluster$%^K as well - depending on who built them and the extent of the repairs... As well as other areas around the power house and it's adjacent components also

The repairs of the Davis Besse Nuclear power plant in Ohio as well as some of the repairs that go on unnoticed by many at many of the Nuclear facilities throughout the world by diver/welders in locations where most people would not dare to venture into as well as the possibility of covering some of the automated repair work performed by welding system custom designed to reach inot place where the environment is not only perilous to any human, but also in such a confined space that no human could enter if one could get approval to cover such repairs.

Repairs to offshore drilling rigs as shown and featured in the most recent AWS Welding Journal of January 2010... Also, the repairs performed on the Space shuttle hydraulic systems where some of the tubing needed repairs as covered in an earlier monthly publication of the AWS Welding Journal a few years ago, and I apologize for not remembering the exact issue, but I do remember it was discussed in length in one of the many threads in here back then.

Repairing some of the largest dragline buckets used in open pit strip mines also comes to mind... Overhaul repair work that's performed inside a Nuclear powered Aircraft Carrier @ Newport News in Virginia is another project to consider but then again, National Security considerations will also have to be considered also since we do not want to give the terrorists "carte blanche" in knowing how to disable one of these via covering some of the repairs (Notice how I didn't even include the refit work on the SSGN's for the USN??? To sensitive to cover in National Geographic IMHO.) ;)

I cannot end my suggestions without including the repairs of a natural gas pipeline via "hot-tapping" which if performed by an inexperienced person or person could easily lead to catastrophic failure of the line and cause a considerable amount of expense in not only putting out the ensuing fires, but also the more than likely need to replace a good portion of that pipeline. So these are my suggestions. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-08-2010 00:14
Did anyone go to the National Geographic web link Ross posted yet??? they have a really fun game in there...
You need to click the link, then click where it says: "Can you handle a Big Fix?" and this will open a link to a game of repairing a Nuclear turbine....

It's a fun game which I already destroyed two cities by failing to complete the repairs... Just kidding !!! :) :) :) Try it out for size because it is fun!!! thanks Ross!!! :) :) :)

I agree with you John! Chuck will definitely share some of his own experiences of the many, many repairs he had to perform in the Gulf coast after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and I wouldn't doubt that he has some film to share as well. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-08-2010 06:03
Now if anyone has viewed the trailers to the show, they have underwater ship repairs pretty much covered and up in the air repairing telecommunication towers and I'm hoping that they also filmed repair work on one of those massive wind towers as well... They also have some repairs being performed in a Nuclear power plant.. So, I'm thinking if they could hitch a ride on the ISS (International Space Station) and film some actual repairs using the updated electron beam welder hooked up to the robot they have on those structures actually performing a repair or two, then that would be awesome to film!!! ;)

Or even going into the pool where a mock up of the space station is @ NASA's Neutral Bouyancy Lab, and filming a repair of something complex that is a part of the space station, then filming the actual repairs in space also! ;)

Another one would be to repair a huge tunnel boring machine that is no longer working and needs a very complicated fix in order to get it back to being operational, or filming repairs on other types of huge mining equipment.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-08-2010 13:44
Henry,
Thats enough for an entire season.  :)
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 01-08-2010 01:01
Naaaawwww, Waterwalls are cake for the most part until you get into slopes. Yeah Henry those pesky superheat and reheat elements can be a pain also. But I dread economizers. Just  something about that 5th or 6th tube deep and an armlength and half in there. These  are where the mirrors come out and seperate the proverbial men from boys. Plus being curled up like a sleeping dog while doing it in some of the most dirtiest dust to be found. Al Gore would go impotent with one good breathe of flyash. Another mother fer in boilers is the damn roof  tubes they ain't no fun for rigging or welding either. But in reality its hardly worth putting on T.V thats what Boilermakers do one tube at a time. The same as the rest of you make one part or weld at a time.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-08-2010 01:36
I used to love working the economizers because of the mirror work and the fact that nobody in their right mind messed with you or rushed you to get the work done which made it easier to get the work done!!! :) :) :) :) But you're right Sharp W, the economizers do separate them men from the boys when it comes to welding in tough positions...

I however disagree that we shouldn't be recognized for the work we do!!! As a boilermaker like yourself, haven't you from time to time wished that more folks came to appreciate the type of work we do, or did especially some of the pipefitter gangs who don't know the first thing about getting really down and dirty like we did!!! ;) ;) ;)

Btw, what local you out of??? I used to be with local 154 and local 5 and did some work with local 28 years ago, and I still have my book, but haven't kept up on due lately since I got sick again I used to work a bunch of NTL jobs up and down the east coast all the way out to Chi-town, but not much past the Mississippi. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-08-2010 02:04
we know how to get down and dirty were just smart enough to stay out of Boilers. Lmao
cokers and crude units are just as bad lol but believe it or not the worst place i ever worked
was a glass plant where they made bud bottles
Parent - - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 01-08-2010 23:46
I see where your coming from Henry but in all reality I don't beat my chest and say I am a Boilermaker behold. It wouldn't matter to me what kind of recognition I get as long as my paycheck clears. Remember those contractors we work for never remember the good things we did only the bad things. I always thought T.V was for entertainment and when they get desperate for ratings to start showing occupations well I would say there creative idea department went flat. It also shows how ignorant this countries scoiety has become to our once great industrial heritage. Once there were welders, ironworkers, boilermakers, mill hunkies, plasterers, fitters, and etc everywhere. Now we are going extinct in this consumer market. Well enough of the rant.

Yeah Henry I'm outta 154. Your right about never going past the Mississippi the pay don't get to good until you hit California.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-09-2010 00:31
I understand what you're saying, but I don't mean personal recognition at all... I meant that it would be nice to see our crafts-folks who work in shutdowns whether they be boilermakers, pipefitters, millwrights, carpenters, electricians,laggers or whoever is working in a coal fired plant shutdown, to get the type of recognition they deserve regardless of what the owners may think of us or not!

There are even some folks in here who have never set foot inside a power plant boiler and it's associated areas, and they haven't a clue fo what we tend to take for granted of what we have to, or had to go through (I'm retired from shutdown work since my illness even though I still have my book) in order to get our work completed...

Heck, I don't beat my chest all the time either about being a Boilermaker, but I'm darn sure proud of what I've accomplished over the years, and it's about time some folks get to see what we do because after all, it's not like being an Iron worker who can point to a building or a bridge and say they played a small part in either building or repairing it...

You really can't point to a power plant and say to your nephew that you had a part in either building, or repairing one of those, but if you let them see what goes on inside, they get to see a totally different perspective of what it's like to fix something so strange and unfamiliar to most folks.

You know what it is like but, it doesn't mean that most of the other folks either here, or throughout the rest of the world have an idea of what it's like to do the type of repairs we did, or still do inside a steam generating - electricity producing power plant, and it may just enlighten some folks as to what is actually involved in producing such large amounts of electricity from coal and just how important it is to keep producing it from these power plants until we do have enough alternatives online with the grid in order to eventually move away from these types of power plants...

Anywho, enough of my plug for shutdown repairs on a power plant boiler... Good talking to you Sharp Tungsten! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-09-2010 00:33
Hello Sharp Tungsten, I see where you are coming from on your take regarding shows about the trades. Mine is slightly different: at least there is something out there for those who have no clue as to the trials and tribulations related to the trades or the complexity and challenges that often are associated as well.
     If a younger kid, his/her parents, or anyone else for that matter, is exposed to these sorts of reality tv types of programs it just might spark an interest or provide some additional worth in the eyes of those who show such contempt for a craftsperson. The white-collar type stuff might not seem to be the only thing out there that will earn a person a paycheck, or give them something to look forward to doing for a job, or provide satisfaction that is likely lacking for many who are in the proverbial dead-end jobs. Once again, don't dissagree with you, yet, I have a different way of interpreting the worth of these programs. I have many students who see these programs and it gives them alternative job paths to consider besides those that they already know about in their own little geographical locations. Interesting posts folks, my $.02. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Sharp Tungsten (**) Date 01-09-2010 13:20
Yeah Henry and Aevald I see your point and totally agree now. Yeah some of these kids will never know because of there poindexter parents and tree huggers. I guess a show like this is all they get for clues now a days instead of having a neighbor or uncle in the trade. But Henry you know west PA is big stack country. You take a drive down route 68 or take a ride out 422 and you willl see many plants you can proudly point at and say been there done that. You even go out 51 and you can get to elrama and courtney sites.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-08-2010 07:40
Not only water walls....LOOOL
There are plenty other things going on when fixing a USC.
There is also NDT, PWHT and the exotic materials.

Plenty of interesting things.

Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-07-2010 22:21
my vote also goes for boiler repair and replacing of boiler tubing, everything from the dirty coal ones, to the extremely critical nuclear ones. lots of mirror welding cut outs and tight spaces.

Can they do a show on the economy?
Parent - By rodofgod (**) Date 01-07-2010 23:45
Hi All!

I agree with 3.2!

Most of these plant's were designed to be maintenance free (which there not) and working on them is a complete nightmare! Your talking 'window welds', 'mirror welds', confined access coupled with high ambient heat temps whilst repairs are carried out! Not to mention, tight shut down periods and high down time costs, dissimilar materials and corroded parent tubes!

regards
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-08-2010 00:08
Expanding on one of Henry's suggestions;

For the underwater challenges...talk with one of our members...gndchuck, maybe he can shed some light on a really big underwater "fix".
Parent - - By bigrod (**) Date 01-08-2010 06:29
what about a really hot tie in?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-08-2010 13:47
Big hot taps. I like that one. Scroo that up and you'll never hear the boom.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-09-2010 00:26
I'm thinking the same..doing a hot tie in I'd like to see that.
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 01-09-2010 00:59
Hot Taps are pretty boring to watch, don't you think?
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-09-2010 01:02
maybe it's more for dirty jobs lol
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 01-09-2010 01:30
How about when a smart pig gets hung-up in a line. Those are a good time.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-11-2010 13:30
LOL!!
Yeah I suppose thats true.
If it came down to watching a hot tap and say America's Funniest Home Videos I'd probably choose AFV.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 01-08-2010 07:04
They already did the underwater repair, companies that were highlighted were Miami Divers, Florida , Parker diving, From California and All-Sea enterprises, Vancouver.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-09-2010 18:28
I am out of work but....
Just about anything to do with rocketry   a.k.a  Nasa projects.
Perhaps a "large" bridge repair somewhere??
Boiler rework/replacement is a given
Teardown/move/assemble large drag line   (that's a good one)
Any major hull repair or pwrtrain install on a large ship   .....but I think they covered that already
Oil rig move or demolition out in the gulf maybe?

I would say we got some millwrights on here who could come up with some great ones.....somebody somewhere is tearing out, moving or installing something BIG.
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 01-09-2010 20:11
I believe that they've already covered the underwater part, if I remember correctly.  I know that a couple of years ago, we entertained Modern Marvels for a segment.  I wasn't in it, but a few of my friends were, I was offshore on a project. 

Charles
Parent - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 01-09-2010 19:10
My vote goes to the hot tap or any hot work I'd like to see that on t.v.   Standing up a leg or hanging downspouts off an elevator  is exciting work but, probably not that exciting to watch.  I'd watch anything welding related on the tube but what I find interesting most people would find boring, how many people out there want to watch some guy repair a live heater treater or pressure vessel ??

I really enjoy watching the shows were they are putting out well fires (the hell fighters) but that show didn't last long.  Shows like black gold are good entertainment but really put the oilfield in a bad light.  Imagine someone who knows nothing about the oilfield watching that show with all the soap opera like drama and they always put the smartest guy in front of the camera lol!!
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 01-09-2010 20:52 Edited 01-09-2010 21:20
Ross,

great to see, that welding in the US of America appears to have a higher status than in Germany, as the National Geographic has contacted you!

Even though myself's dealing with the pipeline sector rather, I think there are only a very few fields in welding which can compete with the Shipbuilding Industry.

Materials, processes, types of vessels (I personally would really like to know how a sophisticated submarine is being repaired), the dimensions, etc. etc.

Just my humble .02$ for what it's worth.

Stephan

EDIT: Just corrected a typo and I've seen just right now that Tommy has mentioned a ship hull repair already in his post! Sorry Tommy! Didn't want to plagiarise! :-)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-10-2010 01:25
If the USN would hand over some film on how they repaired the USS Greenville (The Submarine which collided with the Japanese trawler off the coast of Hawaii a couple of years ago) after it collided with and sunk that Japanese Trawler would be an interesting episode but, I don't think the USN wants to broadcast those type of repairs IMHO! :) :) :)

However, Oceaneering Inc. does perform a substantial amount of subsea equipment repairs on systems and submersibles used in the offshore drilling industry world wide, and those folks might be interested in sharing some film as long as it's not DOD related... They have also just been awarded a huge contract to build a new deep sea submersible that would hold a crew of over fifty personnel, and would be capable of a wide variety of multiple M & R procedures down deep in the Gulf... Just a thought on that front! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 01-10-2010 01:57
Henry, you are correct on Oceaneering, but didn't know if you knew that there is actually 2 divisions of divers.  The ones that do the everyday offshore things, like platforms and such.  Then there's the other division that works specifically for the Navy.  The division for the Navy usually helps the other lads out when there's too much work, but the other guys don't have the security clearances for the Navy.  The other dive company that does Navy repairs is Phonix Int'l.  I know of the, hhmmmm, "procedures, and what you have to do", but have been swore to a long line of drinking if I devulge that info.

One of the companies that mostly does nuke plants is Essex, out of Connecticut.  Know a few lads over there, from what I've heard from them, they get to see all the cool stuff.

Charles
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-10-2010 02:08
I read you loud and clear Chuck!!! :) :) :) I heard those folks who work for Essex do actually Glow in the Dark from the environment they work in!!! :) :) :) I forgot about those folks from Phonix International. ;) Some "film/video" from Essex would be really cool to watch IMHO!!! :) :) :)
Btw, HAPPY BELATED NEW YEAR CHUCK AND FAMILY!!! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 01-10-2010 04:22
Thank you Henry and Happy belated New Year to you and your family

Charles
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 01-10-2010 09:08
Aaahhhhh!

Again Henry, you have guessed my thoughts.

Quote: "The Submarine which collided with the Japanese trawler off the coast of Hawaii a couple of years ago after it collided with and sunk that Japanese Trawler would be an interesting episode..."

Exactly that was the case what I had thought about! Can remember very well the pictures at that time. They looked quite so as if there would have been a bunch of welding to be performed. :-)

Regards,
Stephan
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 01-13-2010 17:18
Hank, a better one would have been USS Gurnard in the late 1980s.  Basically, hit a seamount at speed and ripped open well behind the leading WT boundary at he keel.  Not sure if I can say more than that. :)
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-10-2010 19:26
Guten tag! Stephan my friend!!!   

You did no such thing as plagiarize, don't be silly.    However if you ever did plagiarize me I could only take it as a compliment because that means I said something thought provoking, interesting and correct......therefore I could only consider it a compliment from you!!! 
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 01-10-2010 21:33 Edited 01-10-2010 22:10
Hey Tommy!

- - -

Wow! You're making me... speechless! :-) :-) :-)

Thank you so much, appreciated fellow!

Stephan

EDIT: Found my speech again :-). It's great that we agree on that a sophisticated ship-hull repair or similar, would be somewhat fine.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 01-11-2010 11:40
the economy, fix that please.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 01-11-2010 11:59
Ross,

Actually, 15 yrs ago I did a nuclear project at the Perry Nuclear Facility in Perry Ohio.

It was a simple problem they had.  When they turned on the pumps for the suppression pool, because the holes in the intakes grills were so small and few that it would "implode" or crush the screen from the force of the water being sucked through the grate.

The fix, replace the old 2 ft square box with this huge custom fabricated "ring" fabricated out of stianless steel, that was about 4' square, and the diamater of this ring was about 50'.  It was fabricated in sections around 4' long, so dozens of these custom weldments were carried into the facility by ironworkers and lowered into the suppression pool, then as a diver, we would take the sections, rig and carry them using air bags and float them to their new location, place them, and bolt them all together.

This increased the surface area by a multiple of something like 1000 %.  It seemed overkill but when a failure might happen, this water was used to keep the rods from overheating as a last ditch effort, they didn't want anything to happen to them.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 01-11-2010 16:49
eekpod,

that would be once a real big fix... so true!

Hopefully this effort would fit to one single broadcast. :-)
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 01-13-2010 04:19 Edited 01-13-2010 06:55
Yeah, send em to the DC Cook nuke plant. They had a major turbine failure a while back ago (late 2008) and still trying to get it put back. The turbine went from somethin like 1800 rpm to 0 in less than 30 seconds! lol  Ripped the studs from the hp turbine bed and tweaked the lp turbine housing. Had some buddies out there on that project an they all said it was a cluster f**k. That's a "Tough Fix" that's gonna cost siemens a whole helluva lot.

Sorry, it was DC Cook and not Davis Besse. Besse was the one that had the huge hole ate in the reactor head.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-13-2010 04:53
I heard about that one also, and that's another major component in the plant @ Davis Besse that's a real big problem fix to show! I wonder who's managing that plant? Sounds like "Auditions at the Improv" going on over there!!! :( :( :(

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 01-13-2010 06:39
From what they told me, they had sent the turbine off to get upgraded with better vanes to make some extra power. Siemens did the retro fit on it and sent it back but here's where it gets sketchy. They said something about a new control panel that should've got installed too that could've picked up that things weren't goin right but they didn't. IDK if that's true or not but the insurance company has got an outfit in there that has kids right out of college tellin hands with 20 years of experience how to do their jobs an it aint goin too smoothly. They was tryin to save the lp turbine shell but it wsa so tweaked that they're gonna have to replace it all. They're tryin to get it pieced back together an run at 25% till the new components get built but the hands I talked to don't even know if that'll be possible. I'm surprised that the NRC hasn't pulled their lisence yet cause they was shutdown for about a year for not havin their paperwork in order. Blows my mind how incompetent some utilitys, or their managers, are.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-13-2010 10:58
For turbine failure's I'd be going with Cumberland steam plant on the Ky/TN border. Catastrophic failure, flying parts throught the oil cooler and through the roof with parts found 2-3 miles away. (someone left a 6" wrench in the mainsteam line)

Then again, you could also do the autoclave chamber failure for a "aerospace" company if they would be willing to share the info. 30' diameter, 100' long, the lugs failed and shot the head on the autoclave for miles. (35PSI on that volume has some serious energy stored behind it)
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-13-2010 10:53
My vote goes to a steam generator change out. (SGR) or a Head replacement. I believe the Davis bessie fix would be a good one. Especially since they are changing that head again and an SGR to boot in the near future.
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 01-13-2010 16:40
That would of been a good one at the beginning of the SGRPs but they're pretty boring now.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-13-2010 19:34
I'm just on the last leg of a 15 day repair on a large press frame. We worked 12 welders (Boilermakers by the way) split on three shifts. Too bad it is wrapping up, it would have been a good show!

I tested each of the welders before putting them to work. It paid dividends by making sure each welder knew what we expected of them and to work out a few last minute kinks with the rented wire feeders, welding parameters, etc. We even eliminated a couple of welders that were marginal or couldn't follow directions.

The longest I've slept has been 4 hours at a time. Last night I climbed in between the sheets for about an hour when the phone rang. Back to the job and then I was up until 7:00 AM, back to bed, up at 10:00AM for a job meeting. It's 2:30 now and I'm about to grab a few hours of shut eye before the next shift starts. I've been averaging about 18 hours between naps. You should see the looks on the faces of the hotel staff when I come walking in at 1:00 AM and then back out at 2:00 or 3:00 AM.

Many of you have been in the same situation, no rest until the job is done and the client is up and running again. This job is costing the client about $1-million a day for each day the press is down. My kind of work!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-14-2010 03:44
They just had a show on a turbine change out at a nuke plant.   It was not a failure tho...just replacement.   It was one of the better shows I thought.   My favorite ones were the 2000+ foot transmitter tower and pulling the pressure dome, complete tail and all off a 747.  

Hey how bout sending them out on a large laybarge job....that would be a good one that I do not think they have done.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-14-2010 04:14
Here's a really BIG FIX that is REALLY NEEDS to be covered.... THE NATION OF HAITI HAS BEEN BROKEN BY AN EARTHQUAKE AND THEY NEED DESPERATE REPAIRS!!! :( :( :(

THESE PEOPLE NEED A REALLY BIG FIX!!! PLEASE HELP!!! I KNOW IT'S BEEN A TOUGH YEAR FOR ALL OF US, BUT THESE FOLKS REALLY COULD USE SOME HELP! :( :( :(

There most certainly be plenty of stories to film regarding the repairs of their infastructure which has been devastated by the 7.0 earthquake as well as later damage from the subsequent after shocks...

It would be interesting to cover how the main relief agencies will act in order to restore power and communications as well as how bad the damages are in the port of Port-A-Prince itself which will be critical in being operational so that the relief ships can dock and start the dispersal of relief supplies...
Their water treatment facilities are down also and other critical infastructure is currently decimated by this catastrophe...

So if National Geographic wants to do a story on a really big fix, then the nation of Haiti will provide them with at least one entire season of episodes IMHO and they will also help in getting the message to the rest of the world of just how TERRIBLE and DEVASTATING this CATASTROPHE REALLY IS in the hopes of providing AID TO THESE POOR YET RESILIENT PEOPLE!!!

MAY GOD BLESSS AND PROTECT ALL OF THE HAITIANS AS WELL AS OTHER VICTIMS OF THIS DEVASTATING EARTHQUAKE!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A really big fix
1 2 Previous Next