Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Graduated!!
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-15-2010 22:27
Well, took me about a year but I graduated from the tech school and got my diploma yesterday, said I was a combo welder, yeehaa!! At least now I can say I graduated and have that piece of paper. Will school count for experience?? Been welding on my own since January of 08' with my rig so trying to tabulate my "experience". Have done welding since I went to school in 98' but not as a steady job, well I was the welder at an equipment place for a little over a year. I've found a new interest in the Tig though. Didn't figure I'd want to much to do with it until I started running pipe and then the challenge it offered roped me in. Now I'm considering building myself the little box so I can work on the restricted test at home. Got it in my mind that I want to be able to do it......even if I never have to. Sounds kind of sick that I want to put myself in that position when I think about it but it's on my mind and usually will not let it go. Really don't want to be in a "shop" environment though. I think with my personality I need to have the change. In a shop I believe I would get bored with the same ol' hum drum everyday. Spent 4 1/2 months on this job running this chill/hot water pipe and got laid off today. Was happy to be moving on with thought's of newer pasture's, or a least different one's. This is why I don't think I could take the teacher job some of you may have read about.

Now it's out to shake the bushes and see if something will fall out. Would like to keep running the rig but getting a decent welder seems to be a problem. Especially now. I've re-evaluated my thoughts and I have the 51' shorthood in the shop but I figure I'll be kinda limited and then end up needing to buy something else. I know I can run tig off the shorthood but want to be able to run a dynasty 200 for aluminum or other such things and the ol' Sa just ain't gonna cut it. Have had thoughts, get out your whipping sticks, of a used Vantage. Buy one machine and get other stuff to plug into it and having the aux power at hand would better suit me. Maybe not a Vantage, perhaps something blue but it really won't match with my red truck!

The more I do the tig the more I like it, especially pipe. I just like welding pipe, up, down don't care. Spent one day plug welding decking and thought that was the suckiest thing I'd ever done.....welding. Building the stairs and handrail, stuff like that is great. Never seen a rig built but something like that may interest me, never done it though so could not be for sure. Still, thinking about it though I like the pipe and the roundy round. Well, just thought I'd put that out there. Really a good paragraph about nothing huh?
Parent - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 01-15-2010 22:43
Congradulations Shawn a smart guy like you will do great in anything you set your mind to ! way to go !
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 01-16-2010 02:30
Congrats Shaun!
Sorry about the lay off but hopefully something will turn up quick. I like welding different processes and metals as well but like you said I like pipe the best. GTAW and Machine GTAW more than stick. Hate the puddle welds too. Good luck to you.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 01-16-2010 16:54
Congrats Shawn! Keep heading in the direction of your dream. When I interview prospective new employees I base their knowledge on what they can describe to me and the situations that they bring up. Almost all the best welders I have hired can explain in great detail their experience and that is the reassurance I look for when hiring someone new that I do not know. A welder who can articulate his experience, attitude and work ethic holds more weight with me. From reading your posts I think you are this kind of guy that can explain himself. Heck we are all still learning some are just further down the path. I am not a die hard Red or Blue guy myself and I have my opinions on what I buy for myself. Here at the mine we use the Air Vantage and Big Blue Air Pak's and they are both great machines. I don't think you could go wrong with either machine. I don't make my living welding any more it is a side job for me at this point. It is a passion for me like most others and I love to keep in practice. I will never stop learning and I think you are the same. Keep up the good work and keep moving toward your dream.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-16-2010 17:47
Congratulations Shawn!

There is a lot to be gained from formal education and backed up by the experience you've acquired on the jobs you've told us about, I would be glad to have you on any project.
Good luck.

John
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Graduated!!