Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Alternator as an emergency welder question
- - By yachtwork Date 01-17-2010 23:36
Anybody ever make or use an alternator welder like in this link-
http://www.tongacharter.com/report-welder.htm

I know it works for stick, but-

My question is if it can be used as a mig or tig power source.

Scott
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-18-2010 03:34
It would work for TIG, but for MIG You would need to use an ajustable voltage regulator in place of the rheostat. You would need to set the voltage to the proper value for the wire You are burning. For MIG You would be better off re connecting the batteries for 24 volts & using a Ready Welder, GoWeld or other battery MIG setup.
Parent - - By carbonwelder Date 01-18-2010 04:06
Yachtwork or anyone else, I would like to hear how well your alternator welder worked out especially one using the above directions.  I might want to implement one using a separate alternator so that there is little risk of damaging the vehicle's primary alternator.  As for the TIG option, I am also interested.  This might be a way to learn how to TIG weld.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-18-2010 04:28
You might contact Lestek or Hehr Powerline. These are  aftermarket alternator manufacturers that do or at least have offered a ready made setup for welding with thier alternators. There is frequently a company selling a vehicle welder setup on eBay in the WELDER section, it seems pretty expensive to Me.

As for learning, all You need is a DC buz box [and a torch/ cylinder/flowmeter] to do scratch start TIG.
Parent - By yachtwork Date 01-19-2010 23:03
You ask how this worked as a stick welder? It worked GREAT! and for the few times we need a welder on a boat it serves very well. So well I would like to expand it's use. I have burned up the diodes a few times till I got the system worked out, but Delco diode packs are about 20 bucks so it was not a huge hit, more time to take the alternator apart. I also am waiting for a TIG report.

I did once need this in the South Pacific when a steel boat I was on rotted throug a big rust hole. We ended up welding for five days straight with a Yanmar 8hp to a Delco CS144 alternator. I never let it cool, just kept it running and welding and it made it through and did not burn up the alternator. That was pretty amazing to me.

Thanks for asking and this forum has some real talented contributors.

Scott
Parent - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 01-18-2010 06:48
You would do yourself a huge favor if you looked very seriously at a Premier Power Welder.  Study the PPW website carefully and then email any questions that you might have.  If you intend to be able to actually have your alternator work as it was designed after doing some emergency welding as outlined in this link;  pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to information therein.  However, be apprised that very frequently this type of use will quickly melt down even the best high output alternators.  An alternator/control box setup like the Premier Power Welder is designed to function as a engine driven welder.  This unit supplies DC power at 120V and DC welding power.  I have very successfully welded SMAW, TIG and FCAW processes with this unit.  The FCAW work was performed using a Lincoln LN-25 wirefeeder and NR-211 wire.  The stick performance is outstanding and the scratch start tig works equally as well.  I have one of these on both of my welding trucks as a back-up unit to the full size engine drives I run everyday.  Additionally, The Premier Power Welder is awesome at recharging batteries quickly.  A limitation that may befelt you with either of these welding  power sources as we are discussing in this thread is the fact that you will not be able to TIG weld Aluminum owing to the lack of Hi-freq and the DC current you are producing.  You will however be able to stick or wire feed weld aluminum wuth the proper accessories.  BTW, The Premier unit TIG welds 304 and 316 stainless fantastic with a simple air cooled TIG torch and Argon sheilding gas.  Hope this helps!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Alternator as an emergency welder question