Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 maximum heat for interpass welds?
- - By mrwelder (*) Date 01-16-2010 17:34
Can someone tell me where in D1.1 it says the maximum heat for interpass welds is? I can find the minimum.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-17-2010 21:19
Unless toughness is a requirement, a maximum interpass temperature is not required for the construction steels listed in D1.1. You will note that interpass temperature is an essential variable for notch toughness (Table 4.6, item 7).

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-18-2010 17:19
Mrwelder,

Not contradicting Al at all, he is most definitely correct.

But if someone has mentioned this to you for some job related reason, it is possible you also need to consider the D1.8 Seismic Supplement.  Of which there is a new one out, but I believe this section is still the same.  Section/Clause 6.5.1  'Standard Maximum Interpass Temperature', "The maximum interpass temperature shall not exceed 550*F [300*C], unless an alternate value is qualified in accordance with 6.5.2."

It does not hurt to go by this all the time.  BUT, it is not a requirement per D1.1.  Only D1.8 if it has been called for in the Contract Documents.  We have to watch for this a lot because many of the jobs we do as TPI's goes into CA quake zones.

Just another thought to consider.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 01-18-2010 17:53
What has been said above is true, but I have a client that REQUIRED me to have a maximum interpass on my WPS.  After weeks of going back and forth telling them D1.1 does not have a max. for the material we were working with (A992, A57-50, A500) I had to throw up my hands, revise my WPS's and put in a max.
Now the worst part is I said to them, "well how high do you want it?" and they reply was "oh whatever, say 500 or 600 degree or so" and my response was where did you get that value? and they said "other projects had it on theirs". 
So I said to myself, what's up w/ these people?, they want to purposly continue a method that can't be proved or verified. 
Once I did revise my WPS's I used the 550 from D1.8 and I told them where I got the value from and I showed them it to them in the code.  Then they said ok but until then they were ready to NCR them again becasue when we "discussed" this they said 500- 600.
Stupid if you ask me, just becasue it's been done that way 20 years doesn't mean it hasn't changed, never mind continuing to do the wrong thing again and again.  It may have been an old requirement years ago ( I don't know if true or not) but the point is some things may change and keep up with the changes and new codes.
Chris
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-18-2010 19:28
"Why did you use that welding symbol?"

"Because I saw it on another print that was almost like this one."

"Why did you use this electrode?"

"Because we used it on our last job and nothing broke."

"Why did you use (fill in the blank)?"

"Because that is the way we always do it." The response is the same for all the lazy dumb asses.

Best regards -Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-19-2010 00:40
Mrwelder, hope you won't mind a little story here that Al's post brought to mind.

Not my family, just a story:

One Thanksgiving, a young girl was watching her mother prepare the ham for cooking.  The mother took a sharp knife, cut off both ends of the ham, added all her other 'special' items for flavoring, put the ham in the pan and into the oven.

The girl asks, 'Mother, why did you cut the ends off of the ham?'  'Why, I don't know, that's the way my mother always did it.' 

Later, when all the family was together for the meal the mother asks 'Mom, why did you cut the ends off the ham?'  She says, 'I can't recall, oh, mom always did it that way.'  They look over to the Great Grandmother who is sitting in her seat smiling.  Great Grandma says, 'I had to cut the ends off because my pan was to short to fit the ham in whole.'

By pure observation, a habit, a procedure, a course in history may be set for generations that has nothing to do with the finished product, science, or fact.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 01-20-2010 11:11
Exactly, I don't agree w/ it but anyway.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 maximum heat for interpass welds?