Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / which mig welder do I get
- - By racerace (*) Date 09-16-2003 18:24
i am trying to decide between a miller 210 or lincolns 255 what do i get i am driving myself nuts i will be building race car chassis .095 round tubing any info would be helpful on which direction to go
Parent - - By mcavana (**) Date 09-16-2003 19:44
save a few bucks... my lincoln 175plus mig welder has been through hell and back...... it would knock out that job without breaking a sweat!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-19-2003 12:12
Hey Mac,

A friend just asked me about that machine and I couldn't answer.

Can you achieve spray transfer with your that 175?
Parent - By dee (***) Date 09-19-2003 21:56
Lawrence
Was that question about spray rhetorical?
d
Parent - - By JeramyK Date 09-17-2003 16:38
I have a Miller 210 and I love it. I've used it on sheet metal up to 3/8" plate and had no problems.

Just curious, what type of racing ?

Parent - By racerace (*) Date 09-18-2003 16:12
modified dirt track
Parent - - By DannyD Date 09-19-2003 09:45
A Lincoln 255 is over kill for .095 wall tubing. A MM210 would easily handle this thickness. The MM 210 has an excellent arc when tuned in properly. Plus you ll save $400 to $500. Also, I have to agree that a Lincoln SP 175 plus is more then capable of handling .095 wall tube. The MM 210 or Lincoln 255 will just give you a lot more duty cycle.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 09-19-2003 14:07
I use the Miller Regency 250 with a 22A feeder. It is great combination for GMAW & FCAW. I use the 60# coils of FCAW wire. I use it for putting grouser bars on dozer track pads. It is fast. I don't have to change wire as often. Thin material, use 0.023-25" with a 12" spool for sheet metal. It has a fantastic arc. I don't like dragging my machine around to get the "gun to reach". The feeder alone is easy to move with good accessibility with the gun. Is cheap functional? Get a good price and functional.
Parent - - By SouthernWelding (*) Date 09-19-2003 14:06
The Lincoln is the welder to go with.It gots a new Diamond Core Technology.They say it's the best Mig for Aluminum,Stainless,and Mild Steel.It gots large set knobs,and digital meters provide continous control for wire speed and voltage settings.You should go with the Power Mig 300 then you could stick,tig,mig with the same welder.Nice little machine
Parent - - By Dirtrider (**) Date 09-20-2003 17:11
I have a MM 175 and have been VERY pleased with it! I was going to get the Lincoln 175 plus, but my supplier got a non-plus model by accident and inturn made me an unbeatable deal on the Miller to make up for it. It will be plenty for what you're wanting to do. And will save you enough to get a cheap plasma cutter or a bunch of other fabrication tools. :)

Lawrence, I don't think spray transfer is possible...at least it's not easy with my ability level.
Parent - By dee (***) Date 09-21-2003 00:51
Abbreviated to funcional accuracy:
Spray transfer depends on two basic variables; ionization potential of the shielding gas and the current density at the electrode (wire). Greater proportions of Ar in typical gas mixes permit transfer at lower current densities, and a smaller wire diameter provides greater current density at the same machine settings, as would the tubular section of a flux-core electrode.

Practicality becomes an issue

Accepted convention holds that 250Amp welders are the minimum required to achieve a practical spray transfer using a solid wire with a two part shield gas composed of >80% Argon/balance CO2

It's been my impression these past few years that Lawrence could both fill in the blanks I left and leave me some (which he knew) I'd have to look up answers for. I believe his point was that the 175 is limited; all else equal (given the 250 was affordable) why impose a limitation on your capacity to fabricate... but I cannot speak for him. That's why I made the comment about a rhetorical remark.

regards
d
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / which mig welder do I get