Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln classic welders 100% copper windings
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-20-2010 05:57
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e6132.pdf
now whos laughing ha ha ha
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-20-2010 07:33 Edited 01-20-2010 08:44
Hi Joe!

"All-Copper windings" is NOT the same as 100% copper windings... Lincoln can say "all-copper windings" so long as the percentage of copper in the windings exceeds 60%...

The same thing happens with a whole range of products being sold to the consumer. ;) Otherwise they would have easily stated "100% copper windings" as opposed to "All-copper windings" which is what they choose to describe the winding used on the rotors and stators on all of their engine driven welders. ;) ;) ;)

In my career, I have repaired hundreds of welding power sources both engine drives and primary voltage supplied power sources of many different brands, and in my experience of working on engine drives nobody comes close to the reliability of Lincoln Engine Drives but ever since the late seventies - early eighties, the percentage of copper used in the manufacturing of windings and rotors on both Lincoln and Miller have been reduced where they are no longer "100% copper" and instead, are now considered "All-copper" instead which is nothing more than an advertising trick to have one believe that Lincoln, or anyone else means 100 per cent instead of the majority of the alloy being made of copper which is what they really mean by "All-copper" as opposed to "100% copper."

So unless anyone who is trying to sell you something states specifically that the material is "100% pure" as opposed to stating "All -whatever," the word "All only means that the majority of the material is made up of whatever it is they're claiming -CAPECHE??? :) :) :) Don't fall for misleading advertising - PERIOD!!! :) :) :) NIRROTFLMAO!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-22-2010 15:12
Sent off an email to linconln electric as to the content of their windings on lincoln classic machine.
here is the answer i got. Talk about dodging a Question lol

Dear Mr Pirie,

I was unable to obtain exact numbers for the copper purity.  We do use a
high quality electrical conductor grade of copper.

If you have any additional questions, please contact us again.  you can
reach us by telephone by dialing 888-935-3877, select option 3, then option

Sincerely,

Robert F. (Bob) Crow
The Lincoln Electric Co.
Technical Representative
Customer Service Dept.
(888) 935-3877
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 01-20-2010 12:17
Joe,

I am laughing.

Keep on trying.

Griff
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-20-2010 14:33
In  my original post I said a lincoln rep told me that the lincoln classic used the same 100% copper windings
as the old red face. your right it is deceptive and wrong for a company to use the word all implying that
the windings are 100% copper. I can't believe that 60% justifies the term all .  oh and im still laughing
i just got off the floor
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-20-2010 15:31
Much like the "Made in the USA" claim. It is based off of a percentage. :-(

jrw159
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 01-20-2010 22:46
What kind of truck do you drive Joe?   Just thought I would ask since you never answered my question about what vehicles you considered to be "foreign".

You might want to get up off the floor. Unless of course, you have a mirror low on the wall so you could be looking at yourself while you are laughing.

Griff
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-21-2010 00:07
I drive a 2006 GMC 2500 sierra with the 8.1 Litre motor
Detroit allison tranny
Not sure where truck is manufactured or assembled but the parent company is in the USA
I already told you I got off the floor and now im laughing again.

Toyota, Honda, Kia, Mazda, acura, nissan ,infinitti. regardless of where there made lol ultimately the money funnels it's way back overseas

I don't throw porsches and Mercedes , Bmws and such on  my frowned upon list  because
we can't compete with the german quality craftsmanship, and engineering.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 01-21-2010 01:12
So what you are saying is that you just hate the Orientals.  In other words, just a racist.

Bye Joe

Griff
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-21-2010 01:26
I have no problems with orientals. I have a problem with their govt and companies
flooding our country with their products . screwing up our economy and costing americans jobs
where to you get off calling anybody a racist!!! Go **** yourself im not laughing now!!!
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 01-21-2010 03:05
Now I am laughing. 

Griff
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-21-2010 03:30
Im glad you find humor in calling someone you know nothing about a racist.
your way to ignorant to see the big picture.  I hope the next job lost
to unfair foreign competition is yours.  you give a whole new meaning to the word  STUPID
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 01-21-2010 12:13
Joe, you have already beat me to that honor.

Griff
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-23-2010 03:27
so it's okay when the Germans beat us on quality and engineering, but not when the Japanese do it?

at least the Japanese have the decency of assembling and manufacturing their cars here in the US.

Having grown up in the detroit area, the only difference between an american car and a Japanese car (besides quality) is the address of the paycheck to the CEO. In fact the president of Isuzu motors lived in detroit for quiet awhile (good friends with his daughter).

Some of those Japanese cars use more American labor than some American cars (which are assembled south of the border)...
Parent - - By mtlmster (**) Date 01-23-2010 15:23
I must chime in here!  Don't forget that prior to WWII the Japanese bought as much of the U.S. Steel they could get there grubby little paws on, recycled it into war planes and bombs, and then came over here and let Pearl Harbor have a licking like we had never seen; and we were supposed to be friends with them.  They killed thousands of U.S. Troops, Sunk several ships, and destroyed our planes and airports.  I don't consider myself a racist, but my mentors served in the U.S Navy at that time, and prior to their deaths flat refused to buy anything made in Japan!

I believe Japan makes some of the best steel in the world, besides America, especially blade steel.  They have a lot of experience in refining steel for killing!

522029; Are you willing to buy from Al Quida? or Osama, for what they have done, are doing, and intend to do?  Just wondering if maybe there's a little racism in everybody?

Take Care
Steve
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-23-2010 15:53
Now wait just a minute here!!! How in the heck did we go to a discussion of racism from one of exploring the amount of copper found in the windings of Lincoln Electric engine driven welders??? Please, let's not get off topic here because that is exactly where this initially interesting thread will end up if we continue to morph this into a discussion which will eventually turn into an argument over racism...

This was a thread about copper windings - CAPECHE??? Let's do our best to keep it that way!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By mtlmster (**) Date 01-23-2010 16:42
Sorry!
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 01-23-2010 18:18
522029; Are you willing to buy from Al Quida? or Osama, for what they have done, are doing, and intend to do?  Just wondering if maybe there's a little racism in everybody?

Where did you come up with that garbage?

And yes, I am very well aware of the history of WWII.

Griff
Parent - - By mtlmster (**) Date 01-23-2010 18:33
Like I said:  "I'm Sorry I said anything,"  It was off topic and should be taken elsewhere!

Steve
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-23-2010 20:31 Edited 01-23-2010 20:40
It's okay Steve. ;)

I was just afraid of this and other threads going the way some threads did eventually end up because we would sometimes lose all track of the topic, and some really nasty behavior ensued from most everyone involved... So no need to apologize for everyone else since I've been guilty in the past of doing the same previously, and all I'm saying is that now we're in a new year and we all should turn a new leaf in respecting each other a bit more by staying on topic and if we need to get things off our chests, or disagree with another, we can use other options as opposed to what some folks call "hijacking" the thread all together into a totally different topic which really doesn't even belong in these sections to discuss... After all Ross and John Wright are doing their level best to keep this forum, the best it can possibly be along with most, if not all of the other participants as well.

Now I don't know if you know about the personal message system in this forum, but that is one of the two options in which one can communicate to another poster without going off topic in the thread itself because one is communicating with the other apart from the thread, or one can also go to the Off Topic Bar & Grill section to discuss, debate, or even argue whatever it is one feels like getting off their chests so to speak. :) :) :)

Go to the section named Posts about the Forum and look for the thread where it  is written: "Please sign here for the Off Topic Bar & Grill" and ask Ross to be included then you should be good to go! :)

I do feel it is my duty to warn you however, that the OTB&G can get rather rowdy at times so go in at your own risk!!! :) :) :)
BTW, "WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM!!! :) :) :)"

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By mtlmster (**) Date 01-23-2010 21:48
Thanks Henry:  Yea I gotta watch myself, cause sometimes I just get carried away reading, and the next thing I know I'm typing, and usually all for not.  It is a good policy to stay on topic and not get sidetracked.

I have used the PM a little with a few guys.

The OTB&G will be a good place to visit when I get a beer in my hand.  Thanks for the advice and the welcome.

Take Care:

Steve
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-21-2010 01:53
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=74691;hl=Copper

There it is from Mrs. Lincoln Herself. Pehaps interpoles don't count as windings. :-)
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-21-2010 03:32
I was talking about the new lincoln classics windings not
an old machine. If henry's right Lincoln is guilty of very deceptive advertising
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-21-2010 04:08
Just a guess on my part, but if the interple windings on the old machines have always been aluminum, the interpoles on the new ones are too. As to weather the copper windings are 100% pure copper, of course they are not, they are some commercial grade of copper with some impurities just like house wire or copper water  pipe.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln classic welders 100% copper windings