Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AO cool weld lens
- - By pipehead (***) Date 01-21-2010 03:00
So what's that big deal with these lens never used or seen one but seen on on ebay for 600.00 little pricey for a glass lens isn't it?
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-21-2010 03:12
they were only 400.00 last week  lol
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 01-21-2010 03:15
Its like the first time having sex. Its AMAZING!!!!   hahaha.
Its just a good lens. And really blue which is cool.
I gave mine to my brother. I perfered his silver. But thats just me
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 01-21-2010 04:13
I just wondered I just couldn't see spending that much on a lens....lol
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-21-2010 10:22
all I know is I'm sold on the philips safety lenses there the clearest I have found and I think just as clear or maybe even clearer then the Ao weld cool. I've compared the two. I do admit though the weld cool does have such a deep deep blue color it does feel more soothing on my eyes but thats about it
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-22-2010 00:16
still surprised after all these years that AO has not bothered to star the product line back up.  It used cobalt glass and apparently they had some production issues and it wasn't profitable.

at $400+  if they doubled the retail price it would be worth it.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-22-2010 01:41
no kidding... I don't understand why the hell they don't come back out with it or hell someone buy there dam patent for this lense
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-22-2010 01:52
They were about 70.00 new in Ca. not to many supply houses
had them something about not being cal osha approved
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-23-2010 00:22
I heard from an old timer at work the first one he paid like 25 dollars and that was around 1975, for the second one he paid about 50 and another guy said the last one he bought was a 100 dollars and that guy said the same thing like he heard they stopped making them because of it was bad for the enviorment or something. Whatever the reason those people are crazy for stopping production on these lenses
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-23-2010 00:52
A/O is now making a new lens they claim that it is similiar to their old lens in terms of clarity.
Its made out of some new plastic. Haven't tried one but I personally have never used a platic lens that i liked
I can't imagine anyone paying 600.00 for an old one lol.  I've heard that a german company named schott makes a
gold glass lens with some special type glass. anyone tried one of these??
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-23-2010 02:39
The same people that made the AO glass years ago and btw, Schott is based both in the USA as well as in Germany and they make the Phillips Safety glass lens now.

Here are some more links to earlier threads on the AO Cool Blues:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=174890;hl=Schott

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=172513;hl=Schott

I have used both, and I think that both of them are equally excellent yet, would purchase the Phillips Safety glass over an older AO Cool Blue any day of the week simply because the price is sooooo much better, and they're basically the same type of glass except that the Phillips Safety glass are actually an improvement of the original design and are manufactured in Germany instead of in the US where they are prohibited from being made with the use of the cobalt additive here.

So don't waste your money on the older and more expensive Cool Blue's when you can purchase a whole box worth of the same technology and in different shades that's now manufactured in Germany for the price of one of the older ones!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-23-2010 19:42
How many come to a box and what do they cost?  Are they silver or gold mirror finish?
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-23-2010 22:44
Schot makes both a gold mirror (well it's kinda like a silver/goldish mirror) and a non gold. I have just the Gold/silver mirror ones, they run 20 dollars and the others run like 1.50 or something like that. they are top notch no dought and I'd agree there like the weld cool lense just not with that cobalt stuff in them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AO cool weld lens