Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CSA W47.2
- - By Duckwilly Date 01-22-2010 12:34
Every time I come here I feel like the little unattractive "Bee Girl" looking thorugh the gate in the video "No Rain" by Blind Melon. If you haven't seen this video check it out, then it will make sense. Anyway..

Located in west central Florida, we are moving through the steps to have The Canadian Welding Bureau certify our company to W47.2; to sell structural aluminum products in Canada. Any of my fellow bees have any experience with this process?

We have to have a "welding supervisor" qualified to W47.2 and W59.2 . My CWI credential doesn't mean diddly and is not reciprocal for a "company"certification. A "welding supervisor" must be qualified to W47.2 and W59.2. The thought of writing five additional exams makes my ass hurt. Any idea on how difficult these are? Are they are more difficult than AWS? if you or your company has gone through this process, please sound off. Any help would be much appreciated.

Happy Friday!!!

Duckwilly
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-22-2010 14:17
You need to get a copy of the applicable standards.

I read through the standard nearly twenty years ago. I'm sure it has been revised by now.

There is training involved and written exminations for those people affected. If my memory serves me, it includes the welders, foreman, inspector, supervisor, and I believe the design engineer. The foreman, inspector, supervisor, and designer may had to take tests administered by the "authority". At the time I was involved the welders had to be tested by the "authority" which was someone from the Providence in which the work and company seeking certification was being sought.

Best advice I can give is to obtain a copy of the applicable standards and find out what is actually required.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-22-2010 14:50
Duckwilly,
  As far as the company getting certified, I am not familiar with all the requirements but I will tell you what little I do know about CWB. Your CWI does mean more than "diddly" to the process. CWI does indeed reciprocate to both the welding supervisor and welding inspector. You would be required to write the exams for W47.2 and W59.2 to achieve welding supervisor status. The questions on these two exams are very much like the questions you encountered on your AWS CWI exam. To achieve welding inspector status you will need to write the W178.2 exam. I will be doing this around May of this year. Of course there are the eye exams, applications and fees ect.

IMHO the exams I have already taken, W47.2 and W59.2 were not any harder than AWS and I do not expect the W178.2 to be any harder either. The only thing I would strongly advise is to get ahold of these standards ahead of time so that you can familiarize yourself with the layout of them. All the information is basically the same as AWS but it is laid out a little different.

http://eng.cwbgroup.org/Pages/default.aspx

jrw159
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CSA W47.2