Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Humidity and your tools, what do you do?
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-25-2010 23:03
This might be an off the wall ?

I live in a very humid climate that gets a lot of rain.   I get issues with simple hand tools (wrenches etc.) getting rust on them while being stored.  I am searching the bone yards for a good piece of plate to make some work tables out of right now.....and turning an old garage on my property into my new welding shop.    I hate rust on a worktable, vices etc., having to buff them off on a regular basis to keep rust in check is a pain.   Exposed metal rusts overnight around here.  When I throw a lathe and mill out there I will probably have stock in wd-40 at that point.

I just wonder if any of you have any solutions better then just keeping light oil on everything??    That's fine and all but then you need to clean it off if you have any critical work on the table.  Putting climate control on the shop is not an option, i.e. heat and air.

Thanks for any tips yall might come up with
Tommy
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 01-26-2010 01:39
Tommy the very best thing I have ever found is living in Arizona! No humidity here, except for the monsoon season... WD40 or light oil and clean it up with lacquer thinner or acetone. I had a supply of used Hydraulic oil growing up and that works good also.
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 01-26-2010 02:05
Get a hold of some krwal. It is in a orange can. This is the best thing i have ever come across.
WD-40 has nothing on this. That bolt you cant break cause of massive rust! WD-40 wont get it
Krwal will.
Its the best!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-26-2010 03:19
Hello Tyler, did you mean Aerokroil? I am not familiar with Krwal, although that's certainly not to say that there isn't such an oil, Aerokroil also comes in an orange can with black writing on it and it works as pretty much an all purpose rust-inhibitor, air motor lubricant, multi-purpose oil. Good suggestion. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 01-26-2010 03:29
yeah lol i just call it that for short. didnt know the acutal name of it. put in the can color hoped someone would pick up on it.
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 01-26-2010 16:45
BTW, its just Kroil.  AeroKroil is the aerosol spray can version.
I've never found a better penetrating oil.

A moth ball placed in a toolbox drawer will stop rust.  They make "VCI" devices made to be placed in fishing tackle boxes which have the same effect, without the smell, but these only work in enclosed spaces.

For exposed surfaces (lathe bed/handwheels, etc.) I switched from WD-40 to Birchwood Casey G96 gun treatment a while back.  WD-40 needs frequent reapplication to prevent rust.  G96 doesn't.  MUCH better.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-26-2010 19:43
Hello Robert, thanks for the clarification. I have only been around the aerosol version so I didn't know it by any other description, appreciate your's and John's update. Best regard,s Allan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-26-2010 16:49
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 01-28-2010 07:27
Kroil is good stuff.  Look around on their website they have one in a aerosol can called Weather Pruf works good leaves a thin film wipes off with solvent for shorter term tool and parts storage and also sell a cosmoline solution too for longer term storage.  I put Weather Pruf on chisels when I'm done or lathe bits it leaves a yellow film on the steel.
Parent - By strother (***) Date 01-26-2010 02:20
Tap magic in spray can . Thats what Scotchman recommended when I bought my ironworker. Its lighter than penetrating oil and it doesn't gunk up as much . Its a lot easier to clean off.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-26-2010 04:10
Rub everything down with non detergent oil. For longer term use Vasaline. Long term storage use Cosmoline. I use car wax on woodworking machine tables, gives a little protection & makes the wood slide nice.

If Your building is as air tight as possible/practicle You will have fewer problems, condensation is the enemy. If You are pouring a new concrete floor, put a vapor barrior [polly sheet goods "Visqueen" etc.] under the concrete, or better still extruded pollystyrene '["Blue Board" or the pink stuff] insulation.

Don't run exhaust fans in humid weather when the iron is cool unless You need to.
Running a small circulating fan 24/7 when the building is closed up can help too.

I spray WD-40 on tools in the tool box periodiclly. This helps a lot, I started this while living on My boat in a saltwater environment.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 01-26-2010 10:26
make aluminum or stainless tables?? although maybe kinda expensive, close the doors on you're shop turn the a/c on although maybe kinda expensive keeping the air a little drier LOL

I hate that crap living here in Louisiana everything I own is rusted except for alot of my sears craftmen tools theres some kidna coating on them so they don't really rust. I guess you could dry maybe stripping the grease from you're tools and then try painting them
Parent - - By pumahvac (*) Date 01-26-2010 13:25
if they are already rusted gemplers has a great de-ruster.  you can also soak them in diesel fuel, but it takes longer.
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 01-26-2010 16:10
When I worked for a Marine Contractor, we kept heat lamps on full-time in the bilges of the work barges to keep the rust down.  How about running a dehumidifier in your shop?  Soaking rusted parts in white vinegar removes the rust but it can take a couple of weeks soak, depending on part size.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-26-2010 16:57
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 01-26-2010 19:10
Forget WD-40 for rust prevention. It evaporates.

I've had good luck with Breakfree CLP.  http://www.break-free.com/?location=/products/index.asp

Developed for the Military as a  "multi-purpose product to maintain their weaponry, it became known as the "impossible specification" because of its severe requirements. The first product to meet the challenge - Break-Free CLP."

Great for guns, tools, etc. Put a few drops on outside locks and they will work like new for about a year before needing more.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 01-26-2010 20:33
Tommyjoking
Now that you have gotten some good input to your question I will say that the only way I have found to keep tools from rusting is keeping them working.LoL
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-26-2010 21:05
Thx for the replies......looks like oil is the only reasonable way to keep it all fresh.  I will give the suggested ones a try.

Marshall   I hope I can stay busy enough where its not a problem.....but I honestly do not mind my automotive tools taking a break now and then.  lol
Parent - By Fritz T Katt (**) Date 01-29-2010 01:31
Dehumidifier in a sealed building. A lot of the lubricants you would use on your guns, are good for your other metal toys. On most of my less-than-shiny hand tools, a coat of pink marking paint protects from the environment and makes visible if dropped in the dirt etc. The marking paint also does a great job on electrical power cords when working outside (especially on the recip saw!). Remember not to use compressed air or such around petroleum based lubes/protectants.

I never have a problem with my loud shiny toys rusting if I wipe down with WD-40 or Eezox, even in the humid basement.

What can you use on table tops and such that will protect, but not combust when welding near it? Your only hope may be a wire wheel.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Humidity and your tools, what do you do?