Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 to AWS D1.5
- - By weldr61 (*) Date 01-30-2010 02:02
I have a question concerning AWS D1.1 and D1.5. I am quoting a job that requires AWS D1.5 qualification, however my personnel are qualified primarily to AWS D1.1. My question: is D1.1 qualification acceptable ( or will it cross over ) in lieu of D1.5 provided that the base materials and such are within the ranges qualified? We currently are qualified for unlimited thickness using SMAW with an E-7018 electrode. I think I read that in some instances D1.1 qualification supersedes some of the other codes. I am not sure that's why I am asking.

Thank You,
weldr61
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 01-30-2010 12:10
weldr61
No the welder qualifications aren't interchangeable as such.
D1.5 is more stringent in the testing restrictions for one.
True with SMAW and the right variables the wps could be prequalified without testing but the personnel taking D1.5 Qualifying test will not be able to use anything like a grinder once the test commences and the test plate can not be moved until finished.
I give the welders qualifying at the company I work for a test for D1.5 and then write their WQR for both D1.5 and D1.1. and as long as they do not let 6 months pass with out producing weld with that process or for other reasons, they stay qualified to both.
I can no longer do this for FCAW as 5 years have past since my qualifying Procedure was done so my wps's are no good.
Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 02-01-2010 01:10
Why would your WPS's not be any good? I've never heard of an expiration on a WPS.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 02-01-2010 10:24
jsdwelder
The PQR the WPS is written from has an expiration date of 60 months.
FCAW is not a prequalifiable process, so a PQR has to be developed, written, and tested every 60 months.It can be exactly the same but the consumables have to be redone.
And if it requires notch toughness testing that runs the price of the test to @ $1,500.
Just my memory of D1.5 as one my code is 2002 and at the office not with me now.
Marshall
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 02-03-2010 17:15
And if it's D1.5, they all require notch testing.

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.1 to AWS D1.5