Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig Mats
- By weldwade (***) Date 02-03-2010 23:11 Edited 12-11-2010 02:03
All, I am looking for a Rig Mat or something similar that I can use on a Heap Leach Stockpile that will support a 630K lb (315 Ton) Radial Stacker. Due to all the rain we are receiving here in what is usually "Sunny" AZ we are having major problems with the Stacker getting stuck in the mud. The ground pressure is 28.9psi on the Radial Stacker tracks. The under carriage is a set of modified 330 Cat Excavator tracks that support the Stacker and allow it to crawl. The Leach pad is uncompacted 5/8- ore that is Agglomerated with sulfuric acid and water. The tracks can be positioned either inline to allow it to move forward or backward or on a radius to allow the stacker to radial back and forth about 190deg. I am looking for a long term solution for the future during our rainy seasons so if anyone has suggestions or pictures I would greatly appreciate them.
- - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-04-2010 00:43
Call Drilling Structures International in Houston Texas. Talk to PJ Rivera. He will sell you all the mats you want
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-04-2010 04:15 Edited 02-04-2010 04:25
ouch....that is some weight
wonder what the cost is of the general mat...... I could see some skids made from channel that could be usefull in the short term, they would not have the life of a pliable synthetic mat tho.   If anyone here is use to dealing with swamp skids or wetland excavating they should have a source.  Sorry for no help....looks like a serious problem to tackle.  I imagine the "getting stuck" creates its share of repair welds with something that long and heavy.

Good luck in your search
TOmmy
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 02-06-2010 01:21
Yep AirGas loves us!
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 02-04-2010 23:57
Thanks Dwayne I will check with him tomorrow.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-05-2010 12:35
Nice photographs!

Al
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 02-05-2010 15:02
Thanks Al, the chopper ride was very fun! I got a call from North Pacific and they are going to supply a set of mats free of charge for us to test. They are fabricated to allow for the 300' radius that the Stacker travels. We will have them on site tomorrow and if they work for us as I am sure they will we will purchase them. We will be able to move half the mat at a time with the LGP D8's. The mats have a cable that the dozers can back up to and use the rippers to drag the mat. I am hopeful that this will solve the problem.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 02-05-2010 15:23
Wade, Just curious, what part of Sunny Ariz. you working in? I worked many years as a Heavy Equipment Mechainc/Welder (Operating Engineers) pretty much all around from Bagdad to Globe/Miami, Morenci for M&M Sundt, Sterns & Rodgers, Bechtel, Mountain States ETC.

I still have family in the Globe/Miami area.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 02-05-2010 23:45
Ron I'm at the Safford Mine. Construction was completed in late 2007 and we produced our first copper Dec 26, 2007. This is a heap leach SX/EW operation similar to Morenci's MFL. We do not have a concentrator at this point but that may come in the future. We are now Freeport McMoRan Copper and Gold formerly Phelps Dodge. I have worked for Cyprus, PD and now FMI at the Sierrita and Safford Mines. Being in this business for many years we have shared the same stomping grounds I am sure. In one way or another I have been involved with maintenance at the mines you mentioned and several others.

If you’re ever in the area for a visit shoot me a PM and I will give you a tour and buy you a cold one!
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 02-08-2010 19:02 Edited 02-08-2010 19:41
Wow, talk about close to home. I had a small place just a little bit out of Safford, Eden it was called. There was no mine in Safford at the time (just cotton fields), Morenci was the nearest Copper mine.

Most of my family has left Globe/Miami but a lot of my wifes is still there. One of her sisters & huband (only one left alive) has a large ranch (roughly 33 sq miles) out at Tonto Basin (Punkin Center). Some day that will probly be a Copper mine too.

Another Bro-in-law is a construction super at the Smelter in Globe/Miami area. Most folks call him Pinapple, you can guess why.

You bet, I'll give you a shout next time I am around. Sure miss the evenings back there. Here in Houston when the Sun goes down the humidity goes up and temperature stays where it was.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig Mats