Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Schools and curriculum for my son
- - By Olivier Date 02-06-2010 15:36
Hi there,

Looking for best recommended welding schools to send my 19 years old son to the US. He just completed graduation with degree on body  work and painting and show great interest for your trade. Your advise is most welcome. Thanks. Olivier  email: odemacon@glasscockpit.eu
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-06-2010 17:42
Hello Olivier, first off welcome to the AWS welding forum, it sounds as though you are possibly located outside of the United States presently? I ask that because besides selecting a welding school your son might like to have some input into the geographics of the area where he is being schooled. There are many really great schools all over the U.S., some are in warm climates, others not so warm, others might be close to water, yet others might be land-locked. Are there any relatives that he would like to be close to residing in the U.S.?, that might be a factor in your/his selection process. Is time or money an issue? There are lots of specialty schools that offer compressed and very area intensive welding options, they also generally have a pretty hefty pricetag attached to them. Still other schools offer a more general welding education and are longer in length regarding their curriculum. If you could give just a bit more detail about some of the items that I have mentioned you might get some better responses. You can also use the search function on the forum here and find a lot of other commentary on the very subject that you are asking about. Try typing in "suggestions for schools" or other such topics into the search box and see what comes up. Good luck on your search, look forward to a bit more information and forgive me if I have incorrectly come to the assumption that you are outside of the U.S. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Olivier Date 02-06-2010 21:06
Dear Alan,

You are right. We are a French family outside of the U.S.A, although I have personally studied in California and lived there for 10 years. My oldest daughter, my son's sister is a US citizen so we are familiar with US culture.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I guess my 19 years old son would rather be near or within a large city with warmer climates but the quality of the school and quality of the outcome is certainly the priority.  Of course time and money are an issue (aren't they're always! ;-) so we think either a one year or two years intensive program would be ideal.   My son will complete a syllabus this year ending with an exam for body work and painting on cars but expressed a great interest for building and welding specifically on aluminum using the latest technologies. No relative in the US so that is not an issue and he actually confirmed that 10000 miles away from us for a while.... would be a great experience!!  Of course advise on areas more likely to welcome a foreigner or with a "friendly reputation associated with low crime rates would be ideal! I will follow your advise with the forum search. My son has been an addict to the "wrecks  to riches" show on discovery (which we get in Europe) and I personally have appreciated the quality of teaching and service in the US. No obligations of course but any advise, contact and further discussions that you will have with us are greatly appreciated.  Best regards, Olivier
Parent - By mightymoe (**) Date 02-08-2010 01:22
Greenville Technical College in Greenville, SC is has fine welding program with a good reputation. They are geared toward pipe welding. Although they do offer a 1 semester class on TIG welding aluminum.
Greenville, SC is home to many international companies. For example Michelon, BMW, Fluor, GE,  ect. I'm sure your son would be welcome here by most.
Another school in the area is Tri-County Technical College. They also have a good reputation. They are located near Clemson, SC.

Sincerely,

Maurice Roche
Parent - By ross (***) Date 02-08-2010 12:45
Oliver,

Tulsa Welding School has a large campus in Jacksonville, Florida, which has beaches and a climate similar to California. Also closer to France than California. http://www.weldingschool.com

My daughter goes to school in Paris. (Not welding, though.)

Ross
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Schools and curriculum for my son