Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certification for welder per D17.1
- - By alfred aryadi e (*) Date 09-30-2003 03:51
my company is FAA aproved. we use D17.1 for reference standard for certification welder and process. we have noone that hold AWS certification. Can we certify our welder? who should certify the welder? does an Authority body that aprooved by AWS? orWelding Engineer that hold AWS certificate? or it can be done by ourself?
thank you

Best regard
Alfred
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 09-30-2003 05:33
The Engineering Authority (EA) determines this requirement. "Approval" by the EA is briefly discussed in 1.3.

I have worked in aerospace/aircraft off & on since the late 70's, this included several FAA repair stations. Having qualified to Pratt & Whitney, MIL-STD 5021, 1595, 2219 (Groups IA/IB, IIA/IIB, IIIA, IV, V and VI) for flight hardware and numerous AWS codes for ground suppport equipment. The NDT, mechanical or metallurgical testing was typically performed by a 3rd party test lab. I believe this was more of a contractual requirement. Check your contract docs.

Some companies permitted transfer of certifications if they were <6 months old (or new), while most required retesting each time you moved to a new company. D17.1 does not permit this practice per 4.2.2.

Critical power-plant components or ordnance sytems usually required testing every 6 months. Eye exams were often on a yearly basis.
Parent - By alfred aryadi e (*) Date 09-30-2003 06:57
Who is the EA ? a person/organisation that shuld have qualified or has certificate by AWS? or it could be anyone (although he doesn't have AWS certificate) in the company, that have an authority by his company?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / certification for welder per D17.1