Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / East Texas
- - By CK Welding (**) Date 02-15-2010 03:42
Thinking about moving to East Texas and was wondering if there is generaly much rig work around there.  I think there are alot of big oil feilds in that area.  What towns should I look around to try and keep my rig busy?  Wife is from that area and wonts to move back.  Pipe work is what I am mostly interested in.  Thanks for any advice.  I realise everywhere is pretty slow right now but this is just something we are thinking about mabe in the future.
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 02-16-2010 14:05
If you move near Longview KBR has perminent residence at Eastmab Chemical.
Parent - By argoncowboy (**) Date 02-17-2010 11:32
I've worked for KBR at the chemical plant there in Longview. Its not much as far as hours and they dont hire rigs, just singlehand.
Parent - By sparksandslag (**) Date 02-17-2010 03:23
FWIW, if you do end up moving back to East Texas, do not make the mistake I made.  Check on what the tax rates are (school, city and county) before you light anywhere.  AT ALL COSTS, AVOID CASS COUNTY!!!  This county has probably one of the highest tax rates in Texas, if not the USA.  On top of that, there is very little industry here, other than an elderly International Paper papermill (it's 8-10 years past due for closure), Cooper Tire in Texarkana which nearly closed last year, and Red River Army Ammunition Plant (who knows when the Army will pull the plug).
Parent - By millerman (**) Date 02-20-2010 03:15
there seems to be a lot of pipe going in the ground in  carthage , shelby , nac. , sanagustine countys
16" 20" 36" try checking around there
ma
- - By CK Welding (**) Date 02-17-2010 23:49
thats definetly something to keep in mind.  Thanks for the info men.  This is just something that we are thinking about not real seriouse just yet but wanted to see if there was enouph work aroud those areas to keep a rig busy.  The bigest draw to the area is that my wife wants to move back and housing is soo much cheaper there. OH and it can't hurt that it's a lot warmer too. I think I can live the rest of my life never seeing 20 below again and not be to butt hurt about it. lol thank again men.  PS what is the futer looking like in the area?  Oil inhance projects ect.
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 02-20-2010 18:50
Quote "I think I can live the rest of my life never seeing 20 below again and not be to butt hurt about it."

I hear you on that but it gets plenty hot in Texas and the humidity in East Texas is brutal. East Texas is a beautiful area, in its way, but the summers can be tough to work outside. What part of East Texas are you looking at?
Parent - By CK Welding (**) Date 02-21-2010 01:24
Not to be a smart a_ _ but, THe part where the rig work is.  LOL  Thanks for all the resposes man.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / East Texas