Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / resumes
- - By LongArc (**) Date 02-22-2010 03:48
I'm a pipe welder with 26 months of documented experience. 3 years of welding on pressure vessels before that. I'm a single hand. I can fit and weld pipe. I've been on about 15-20 different job sites. All welding related. Is there a template for the trades to use? Most resume templates I've seen are made more for the white collar worker. Where can I go to see examples to pipe welding resumes...Thanks
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-22-2010 12:28
With your experience keep your resume to one page. Do not use bold or bullets. Keep the font constant.

Name address and contact both phone and email.

If you have education, special training  or certification below contact

Experience. List the company and employment dates you worked. A one or two line description of what you did.

Have a cover letter that expounds on the experience and your selling points.

NEVER have references or contacts on your resume. If required or requested by the employer attach them to the resume.

I have over 30 years experience and my resume is less than 2 pages. My cover letter is a full page and only send references when requested.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 02-22-2010 18:25
and make sure to keep ot relevant to the job you are applying for.
Don't take a resume for pipewelding and apply for bridge welding w/ out changing/ modifying it somewhat or else it will look like your a welder, but just not the right kind of welder.  You may end up w/ 4 or 5 different versions each a little different but it will help you get to the next level if it applies somewhat.

I hate it when I get applicants for QC who have never done structural steel, but they've done say medical device inspecting.  I don't give a S&it about medical devices, they could at least streamline it or tweak it to try to get it closer.  It looks like the same resume they'd send to an pharmacutical company but it doesnt work for a structural steel company.

Just my thoughts
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-22-2010 22:37
if I get a chance, I'll post one of my old resumes (made generic)

The advice about customizing it to the job is very good, one page is good advice too, most people won't stick around for 2 pages.  format should just be clean and consistent, proof read too.
I list
Name contact info
education experience
work experience
special skills/ certifications
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 02-23-2010 03:00
Kind of depends on the nature of the job... I would do things different if the need was just to show you meet stated standards for a job v. if the need was to make a screening cut in a selection process for a very competitive position.

Personally what I like to see on a resume is a history of achievement... not just what you did, but measureable results that show what you have done really well... that you have a history of performing at a high level.

I would also be sure to include military service if applicable, even if the technical aspects of the duties are not releveant.

Resumes are like most things... we all have our own opinions.  How you do yours will reflect your personality.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / resumes