Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Doe sanyone know if the Miller XMT 304 is supposed to have
- - By Kix (****) Date 02-24-2010 17:29
High freq for DC- tig welding.  On the front of the machine it has 3 Tig settings.  One is for Tig with a remote where I thought the High freq would be and the other 2 are scratch start and lift arc where high freq is not needed.  Well, I tried to set one of my XMT 304's up as a multi roll machine the other day and now when my guy steps on the foot pedal there is no high freq and therefore no arc.  However, the tungsten is hot when the foot pedal is down so I'm having him flick the tungsten with his rod to get the arc started.  My man is new to that whole technique and doesn't like it very much and I feel his pain.  Some of the spots we have to get in and weld do not have enough room to flick the rod.

Thanks in advance!!

Ray C.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-24-2010 19:21
Lift arc is the best option... Not bad.. Just use a blunted end on the electrode.

No high freq with the XMT

Cheers Ray!
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-24-2010 20:24
Cool, thanks for the info Lawrence.  Hope all is well up north!!  I MISS THE SNOW.. :-(  I think we've had a total of six inches all winter from 2 snow falls.  blaaaagh
- - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-24-2010 17:50
Use the remote with lift arc arc start. There is no high frequency start with this machine. Read you owner's manual.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-24-2010 20:17
Why?  I have live info right here. ;-) You sound like my dad, " read the book son".. lol  Well, if I had one I would..
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-24-2010 22:16
Hi kix!

I hope you understand the Fbrieden was only giving you sound advice, yet instead of thanking him, you jump on his case for advising you to read the manual... Am I missing something here??? When you say you have live info right here, then why are you even asking the question in the first place??? I don't understand why your reaction towards Fbrieden was so disespectful when all he was trying to be was helpful??? Now ask yourself: did he actually use those words: "read the book son" or did you read it as such because I re-read his response to you and I cannot find anywhere in the post where he wrote those actual words...

Btw, in case you forgot, you could always go to the Miller website and download the manual right from their website also which is another form of live info as well...
Finally, I hope this helps! ;)

Respectfully,
henry
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-25-2010 00:09
Henry, thank you for your professional (as always) response!

Fran
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-25-2010 00:17
Hi Fran!

You're quite "Weldcome' friend!!! :) :) :)

I hope the snow is melting by your neck of the woods as fast as it is over here in SW PA. ;) Darn it!!! We're about to get more over the weekend...
Oh well, here we go again!!! :) :) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 02-25-2010 06:18
Henry,

We didn't get what your area received until now! We're expecting 8"-20", from now until Friday night. I just started and tested the Simplicity 1226 L for what may come tomorrow; plenty of milk, bread, eggs, beer, and guitar strings here. Why is there always a run on the first three things I mentioned? Is making French toast the only thing people do in a snow storm? Be well my friend!

Fran
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-26-2010 04:43
We are supposed to get 10"-15" here in Pottstown. So far it is just going sideways and not building up much.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 02-26-2010 21:13
Hey Dave, I've was in Reading Mon, Tues & Wedn testing for UGI, didn't go back yet because they were calling for 12-18". Talked to them this morning and they said they about 2"
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-27-2010 01:56
We didn't get a lot, they say 8", but I doubt that much here at My house. Hard to measure, it was windy, some places the drive was bare, other places a foot deep in a drift.

If You end up working in Reading, let Me know & I wil visit You. That is only about 20 miles from home.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 02-25-2010 20:01
Yeah you read way too much into my post.  I meant no disrespect toward anyone.  Him telling me to read the owners manual brought back memories of my dad telling me to read the book everytime I asked him a question.  What I meant about live info was that I have you guy's brains to pick in here therefor saving me time of trying to find an owners manual. Thought u guys new me well enough to know that I wouldn't disrespect any of yas .  That what I hate about typing, you never know how to take some people.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-26-2010 04:46
Here is a link to the manual, for what it is worth. Easy to find if You are familliar with thier website.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o2208am_mil.pdf
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-26-2010 20:44
Thanks Dave!!

Kix
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Doe sanyone know if the Miller XMT 304 is supposed to have