Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld size on V groove weld
- - By zephyr300 Date 03-02-2010 20:10
I have 2 tubes, both .750 inch in diameter. the tubes need to be butted against each other and welded.
Tube Dia: .750" each
Tube Length : 2" each
Thickness: .06" each
Material :316 L SS

I would like to know what would be the correct weld size of the V groove weld? (Note : filler material to be same as parent material)
From my perspective, I go for
weld size= material thickness for sizes less than 1/4" and 80 % of the weld size for sizes >1/4" ?

Mfg suggested me to go with oversize weld of 1/8". What should I do? go for .06" weld size or .125" ?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-02-2010 21:01
In my opinion, a thickness of 0.06 inches (1,5 millimeters), is too thin to make a V bevel (or groove, as you name it).
If I were you, I'd approximate the two welding ends leaving between them a distance equal to the tube thickness and go ahead welding them.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By zephyr300 Date 03-02-2010 21:44
Thanks for the reply,Crisi. What would be the weld size u would mention on drawing?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-02-2010 22:39
2T max sounds about right... 3mm max from root of weld to weld reinforcement... I Welded plenty of that size 316L & 316Ti tubing manually, and that's what was usually called for along with a 40 - 45 degree included angle
(40 degree was better IMHO!). Now is the tube diameter, the outside nominal diameter you're listing? Or are you basing your dimension from the ID?

Btw, we were working to ASME B31.1 & German DIN standards... You may just be working to different standards therefore, I would check which standard is applicable first before listing a dimension that flies in the face of the applicable standard beforehand! ;) Egg in the face for sure!!! :) :) :) Check the applicable standard first before listing anything on the drawing - CAPECHE??? ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-03-2010 04:50
Definitions and terminology once again rear their ugliness.

The weld cannot be more than the thickness of the thinner member being weld because weld reinforcement is not included in the weld size by any welding standard or code I have ever used.

As for the butt joints in material that is only 0.06 inch thick, I would go with a V-groove that had a groove depth of about 1/32 inch. Actually it would be more like an exaggerated "deburring" operation. The tube diameter is too small to treat it as a square groove, so some bevel on each piece will make it easier to weld and easier to track the joint.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-03-2010 08:36
Hi Al!

I don't think the folks I worked with really knew the definition of the term "weld size'" and that's why I confronted them with their own interpretation of the term "weld size" and also why I listed in my previous post what was recognized by the folks I worked with as their definition of the term: "weld size which was this: "from root of weld to weld reinforcement."

This prompted this company to revise the notes in the drawing to include their own interpretation of the term; "Overall Groove Weld Size" by writing this: "Note; The term "overall groove weld size" is to be recognized as the dimension which starts from the highest point of the weld face reinforcement to the furthest depth of the root of weld - meaning root reinforcement." It took two weeks to get this revision included into the drawing because it first had to be approved by the EOR and then passed down to the appropriate channels which caused a stir because no one before had pointed out to them that any of their interpretations of terminology found in any of their drawings were incorrect and they started to ask me about many other terms and definitions they had also used regarding other aspects that were included as part of the overall fabrication process of these precision instruments we were making.

Now according to AWS A3.0, "Groove weld size"(Found on page 19, left column, 10th definition down from the top of page) is defined as: "The joint penetration of a groove weld. See figure 26." So then if you look at(Found on page 88, first illustration (F) - towards top left corner of page.) one will then see that this illustration is applicable to this thread and your understanding which in this case means the "groove weld size" is equivalent to the thickness of the joint itself being that in this case, both members of the joint are indeed of the same thickness... Offhand, I don't remember what ASME, or DIN has as their own interpretation of the term: "Weld Size" so if you can, then please do post it because my memory isn't anywhere near what it used to be before all these chemicals I take as "medicine' basically made it almost irrelevant!!! :) :) ;)

So we understand that the true definition of weld size according to most standards I've also worked with as well basically means the thickness of the joint, or the thickness of the thinner member of the joint if both members of the joint are not of the same thickness, but as you also know from your own experience Al, that their are a slew of companies that use their own interpretations of welding terminology to suit their own purposes, and/or because they're just not properly "edumacated" in proper welding terminology used in a code or standard to which they're working from and this is why I wrote in bold letters in my previous reply post to the OP to: "check which standard is applicable first and Check the applicable standard first before listing anything on the drawing - CAPECHE??? ;-)"

With respect to the use of a bevel to result in the use of a "V" groove to ensure CJP for a manually deposited weld, Germany basically told us to do just that Al! ;) it was nothing more than "an exaggerated deburring process" in which a file was use to form the groove as opposed to actually machining the groove angle with some degree of accuracy, so when I wrote: "40 - 45 degree included angle", the actual included angle was more than likely less and yet, practically ensured CJP consistently.. So in effect, the label: "Precision Instruments" was sometimes used rather loosely realistically speaking and yet, the end result with respect to the final product was indeed really precise -except for some of the terminology being applied during the fabrication process of course! ;) ;)

I had a funny feeling you were going to "chime in" because of my explanation of what the company I worked for used to determine the "Weld Size" on the groove joints we were welding... in fact, I was kind of hoping you would based on some of the earlier posts you made on the topic of misuse of definitions and terminology which quite common in industries across the board!!! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-03-2010 14:41 Edited 03-03-2010 15:20
I don't like to appear as if I am trying to ride the high horse when it comes to terminology, but once again, it muddies the waters when several people respond to the same question and each uses their own definition for the same thing.

I knew what you were trying to say, but communication is much easier if we all use industry-accepted terminology. Since this is the AWS Forum I figure it is best to try to use their terminology as found in AWS A3.0.

You cited AWS A3.0 in your latest response and its definition of weld size for groove welds is unambiguous. It has sketches to illustrate their meaning. Clear, concise, and unambiguous. Anyone in any corner of the world with access to AWS A3.0 can see exactly what you are looking at and what you mean.

It is tempting to use the "colorful" slang terminology common in the welding industry, but the slang changes from one geographic region to another. No, make that one company to another. Clear communication is difficult if one party is not familiar with the term used or if the term is miss applied. It can also be misleading when the writer or speaker says one thing and the person reading or hearing envisions something different.

Most of us know what is meant when someone says "The weld had several dingleberries." or "The weld had bunches of grapes." You will not find those terms in AWS A3.0.  However, how many of us know what a "drypass" is, or a "Blue Drill"? Those terms are not to be found in AWS A3.0. If one is unfamiliar with the slang, they may easily misinterpret the meaning.

I remember how upset my mother got when I told her the "pusher" I was working for was one tough hombre. She did not take kindly to me working for a drug dealer.

I had to explain to her that a "pusher" is what we called the foreman. He wasn't a drug dealer.

As for ASME code sections, they defer to AWS A3.0 for welding terms not included in their glossary. I tried to find weld size in B31.3. The glossary includes a definition of the size of a fillet weld and weld reinforcement, but not the size of a groove weld. Their definition for "weld reinforcement" is "weld material in excess of the specified weld size." That seems to correspond with what you and I were thinking, but it is by inference. Since the definition of groove weld size is not included in the glossary of B31.3, they are deferring to AWS A3.0 for that definition.

I had an instructor that I had great respect for once tell me, “If you don’t want to appear to be just another hack making a living, use the proper terminology and appear to be educated.”

That simple comment changed my outlook on the use of slang when I write or speak. His point was clear and simple. Easy for me to understand.

If only my wife would do the same. I tell her, “Don’t ask the question if you don’t want an answer."

“Honey, do these pants make my butt look too big?”

“You bet cha!” Another two weeks in the doghouse!

Do I understand your last post? I think so, Capeche. Now I can say I speak and write French?

Got cha! ;)

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-03-2010 14:53
1940s slang, from It. capisci? "do you understand?" from capire "to understand," from L. capere "seize, grasp, take" (see capable). Also spelled as coppish, kabish, capeesh, etc.

Italian rather than French...  

Kabish?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-03-2010 15:08 Edited 03-03-2010 15:13
It appears very ambiguous indeed with respect to ASME and since there is a discussion on ASME topics section in this AWS forum as well as many discussions that originate around API as well as threads regarding EN topics also, plus the overriding fact that the OP never once alluded to which code or standard they were working to, then ambiguous is the proper term to use at this point to describe your point! ;)

Which brings me to the most important aspect of this thread which ends with a question to you Al... What usually happens when you assume??? That's why I put in both lines in both of my posts in bold letters. ;) I hope you capeche now. ;) Btw, Larry, my version is not Italian, or french as Al may assume... It's Sicilian! ;) Got What!!! ROTFLMFAOAAA!!! :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-03-2010 15:14
;)

Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-03-2010 19:59
Comment to Henry
You say that you used a file to make the bevel of a 304L tube before welding. Was it a carbon steel file (medium carbon steel)? You know better than me that carbon steel brushes can not be used to clean a stainless steel weld, even less if the stainless steel is L type. In a similar manner, carbon steel files shouldn't be used to file the tube welding end. If I had been the inspector, I wouldn't have allowed you to use it.
P.S. Although an Anglo - Saxon, I know you're hot blooded, like we Latins are. But we're just exchanging technical opinions, nothing personal, on the contrary, I feel a great respect for you, as well as for all of the other frequentors of this site, so don't get upset with me if I've got a different opinion than yours.

Comment to Al
The tube thickness is 0.06 inches, which is roughly 1/16 of an inch. You say to make a 1/32 of an inch bevel, leaving a 1/32 of an inch square end. Do you think that'll make a big difference regard leaving a 0,06 square end (i.e., with no bevel)? I don't think so. So, I'll stick to my previous opinion of welding directly on the square end.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-03-2010 21:11
Hello Giovanni;

My concern would be the build up of heat while welding the small diameter tubing. If the tube was larger in diameter, I would agree that there should be little problem achieving complete joint penetration without the bevel. Likewise, if they were using an orbital welder to weld the tube I would not be as concerned.

The problem from my perspective is the difficulty in seeing the joint if the weld is made manually and the fact that the travel speed for a manual weld is usually much slower than for a weld deposited with an orbital welder or other mechanized systems.

I've worked with many welders that weld the small diameter, thin wall tubing and it is common to see a "huge" hole burned through the tube wall when qualifying the welders using manual GTAW. The smaller the diameter, the more severe the problem of burn through. I should point out that I do not favor using a root openning when welding tubing because of the need to maintain a purge on the ID to prevent oxidation. 

Can it be done, i.e., weld the tube without the bevel? Absolutely, but excellent eye sight and a high level of skill is required. Like many welding jobs, the welder becomes more proficient with time and more experienced welding the small tubes.

As for using the file to "break the edge", steel files are high carbon steel that are quenched and tempered to develop the tempered martensitic microstructure needed to make a "cutting tool". As long as the file was used exclusively on stainless steel, I cannot recall any problems. However, that does not mean the potenial for problems does not exist. I cannot say I have ever seen a "stainless steel" file. If anyone is aware of who makes them I would make sure they are used.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 03-03-2010 22:20
In my brief career as a welder I have never seen a "weld size" for a butt weld on pipe/tubing. Fill pass flush.
Code will dictate how much penetration is allowed. Pipe Dia. will determine how much weld is allowed past flush.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 03-03-2010 23:22
usually weld size isn't a call out given to a welder on prints (besides maybe fillet welds being sized by their leg dimension)

weld size is usually used in engineering calculations to determine allowable loads and the like in joints.  In Butt welds it's a given rule that a weld size can never be greater than the thinnest member as reinforcement doesn't help carry stresses.

The weld size is based upon the thickness of sound metal from the surface of the joint to the root, ignoring reinforcement.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-04-2010 00:20
Duhhh???
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 03-04-2010 03:57
Nice reply! Thanks for the insight.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-04-2010 14:30
You're "Weldcome" Moe! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-03-2010 22:50
Hi Giovanni!

Thank you for those kind words, but there's no need to concern yourself about me being offended... ;) With respect to the type of file used to make the bevels on 316L & 316 Ti (316Ti is mainly used in Europe.) stainless steel as well as Duplex grades of Stainless and seven different grades of Titanium (We rarely worked with 304 Stainless steel of any type.)... The type of file we used was in fact a stainless steel coated file called "CORINOX" made by a very popular manufacturer of metal cutting, removal and abrasive tools and accessories - PFERD. here's the link to one of the files:

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201/20103/201031704P.html

Here's another:

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201/20103/201031703P.html

And here's the CORINOX  complete product line:

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201/20103/2010317.html

We also had one of these in the half round configuration, but was primarily used on larger diameter tubing or pipe which were too darn expensive IMHO:

http://www.steritool.com/tools/Files.htm

So you see, these people I worked for spared no expense to use the right tools in order to maintain the same level of quality as the original German fabricators consistently achieved... We met and exceeded their expectations with respect to both consistency as well as quality... We would also work on larger joint projects in which some of the work was handled in Germany and the rest in the USA and visa versa! ;)

Finally, we found through trial and error that the 40 degree included angle with an ever so slight root face (Land), but no root opening whatsoever - we were able to achieve consistent CJP (Complete Joint Penetration) while using .035" diameter ER 316LSI filler metal and never even came close to 2T which was the maximum overall groove weld size which their interpretation included both the weld face reinforcement as well as the root reinforcement in that particular dimension. ;) We would routinely stay below 1.5T of the company's own interpretation of what they described as the "overall groove weld size" which again was the AWS A3.0 definition of groove weld size which is equal to the thickness of each equally sized wall thickness member which made up most of our groove joints, plus both the the weld reinforcement as well as the root reinforcement also! :)

On much thicker joints, it was quite common to use "U" groove joint configurations with no root opening also if we were working to DIN standards, and we were able to achieve very consistent CJP as well as even root reinforcement sizing which was very important in certain applications where internal floats were later installed which were only slightly less in circumference than the ID of the welded tubing... The control we had with respect to penetration was further enhanced with the use of pulse and helped maintain consistent penetration profiles regardless of the joint type or configuration... So the results really did speak for itself in the planning and testing we did before we actually started production. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-04-2010 02:00
I had never encountered a "Corinox" file. So, you can learn something new everyday if you keep your eyes open, your ears unclogged of ear wax, and an open mind.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-23-2010 15:50
Me too Al...more new stuff to try to retain between my ears
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 03-23-2010 15:45
No bevel should be done, and no filler should be used.

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld size on V groove weld