Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / XMT 304 durability
- - By Robert48 (**) Date 03-03-2010 01:21
I was looking to purchase a Miller 304 for Mig, Flux, and Stick. I have found a ton of them used but also a ton of them being sold for parts. This has got me thinking. Do they break down that much. Or are there just that many of them out there that they are more of them to break down. I just wanted to get some oppinions on these machines. This may not be the machine I need at all so suggestions would be appreciated. I will only have single phase power though and want the max amps and duty cycle I can get out of that.
Parent - - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 03-03-2010 01:38
my local shop says the 304s have troubles and the 350s never have any trouble. cant remember the problems they have just remember he said buy the 350 or never let a 304 get out of warranty
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 03-03-2010 01:42
Thanks. I just looked at the miller catolog and saw the 350. I knew it was there just thought it was three phase but I was wrong. Not as many used ones though. I guess thats why.
Parent - - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 03-03-2010 01:55
last i knew they had 2 versions of the 350. they had the 350 and a 350 vs which is the more simple version with no 14 pin conection. that is why it is the vs. voltage sensing. your wire feeder would have to be a voltage sensing feeder. dont know your needs but i personally went with a new 252 and a used transformer dial arc stick welder. the transformer machines will not give the hassle of the inverter machines and are cheaper to have worked on. but my needs are probably different than yours
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 03-03-2010 02:04
I have not ruled out two seperate machines. I was just looking for a multi process because I already have a wire feeder for my engine drive that I was going to use. It is a vs model though. Cost is the main issue on buying two seperate machines right now. Most of my work is still mobile but I just got a little shop to work out of too.
Parent - - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 03-03-2010 02:12
id save your money and run your leads through the door then.
Parent - By Robert48 (**) Date 03-03-2010 14:48
Thats what I am doing now. It works fine as long as the weather is good. The neighbors also don't like it after about 10.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 03-03-2010 02:56
If you go with an inverter and you are using single phase make sure you find what size breaker and wire you will need . I'm not sure about XMT 350 but I bought a lincoln V 350pro inverter and then realized it needed to be on a 80 amp breaker instead of a 50 amp which meant running a new wire and condiut when all I wanted to do was play with my new welder.
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 03-03-2010 14:52
As of now all I have coming off the panel is lights and 110 outlets. I will have to run wiring for this machine as well as my ac tig.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-03-2010 15:04
XMT 304 is a CC/CV power supply.

You can do GMAW, FCAW with the CV

You can do SMAW and GTAW (scratch start) with CC

No need for a voltage sensing feeder.. It is designed for production GMAW.

The Miller website has *ALL* the owners manuals for free...  So when you look at a possible machine you can note the part/serial numbers and look up the exact owners manual.  This will help when determining incomming power requirements etc.

A pretty darned versatile power supply.  If the price is right.
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 03-03-2010 16:06
.They are some of the cheapest when comparing used machines. That may be impart because they are so popular.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 03-03-2010 16:52
Robert I have a XMT304 that I bought used and have no complaints. I run a 22A feeder for GMAW, 30A spoolgun with the WC 24 and my S32P and they all work fine. You can use any voltage sensing feeder with it. If the price is right they are very good machines. the XMT350 draws 54.6 amps 220V single phase so if you are considering that make sure you have the available power to support the machine.
- By weldermanjim Date 03-04-2010 02:38
As a welding instructor at a community college, we are now running 8 XMT 304 machines, 4 XMT 350 and also 18 Lincoln Invertec V350 Pro machines (4 new ones arrived yesterday). The Miller's have 70 series feeders with 4 roll drive systems. The Lincoln machines use a LF 72 two roll drive system. In the school environment these machines all get used hard. Some of the 304 machines are 8 - 9 years old. We have had the Lincolns for about 3 1/2 years. All are easy to use, switch processes and teach with. We have had a lot of birdnest wire problems with the older Miller feeders. The new ones have an improved drive system that has stopped it. The only birdnest problem with the Lincoln feeder happened when the tension adjustment was to tight. My personal preference, the machine I grab to do a demo or a project, is the Lincoln. As another option, you may check out the new Lincoln  Power Wave C300 or S350. We have had 2 of the C300 machines for 3 months and I like them, but not enough time to prove how good they are. Go to a dealer and see if they have some demo machines to try for yourself. Best of luck!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / XMT 304 durability