Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D9.1 WPS
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-10-2010 10:10
When qualifying WPS's to D9.1 section 5 suggests using the WPS form in annex D, this form has blanks for voltage and amp ranges to be listed, yet I've looked all through section 5 and do not find qualification range limitations for volts or amps (D1.3 has table 4.2 (8) for amps and (20) for volts).
I do not want to limit these parameters to anther codes requirements.
Does anyone know what I’m missing in my reading of D9.1?
Parent - By R McLead (**) Date 03-10-2010 18:51
Martin,
In section 5.3 of D9.1:2006 it states that “A qualified welding procedure shall be used only with the allowable ranges of operating variables tested during qualification.” In 5.3.8 it states a change in the mode of metal transfer requires requalification; an example would be Short Circuiting to Spray or Spray to Globular in GMAW. Your volts and amp ranges should be established during the procedure qualification in the PQR. So test the lowest setting and the highest to be used in production (See Annex H), if they check out and do not violate 5.3.8 then record them in the PQR and that is your range as long as you do not increase them outside the recorded range and change metal transfer type.

Rey
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-10-2010 19:30
The good news is that D9.1  PQR's are simple and straightforward.  Many instances they can be completed in house with very little problem.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 03-25-2010 15:41 Edited 03-25-2010 15:43
D9.1 is one of the easiest Codes there is to create PQR's for.  As I recall, Destructive Testing isn't required.  It's very basic and not much is "required."  I'd your electrical readings a 10% range.

Keith
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D9.1 WPS