Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plane Sheared Edges of Plates??
- - By eekpod (****) Date 03-18-2010 15:04
I have a spec. in front of me that has a statement that I have seen before but I honestly don't know what exactly they are referring to.  Has anyone dealt with this?

"Plane sheared edges of plates thicker than 5/8" and carrying calculated stress to a depth of 1/4"."

Do they mean if we shear a plate that is at least 5/8" thick, that we will go back and remove an additional 1/4" of material?

This is from the connections section of the 05120 structural steel spec.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 03-18-2010 19:24
eekpod
If the parts are carrying calculated stresses, then yes.
Here it is in this specification from Oregon dot  Section 00560 - Structural Steel Bridges

(c)  Plate Cut Edges:

(1)  Edge Planing - Plane, mill, grind or thermal cut to a depth of 6 mm (1/4 inch) all sheared edges of plate more than 15 mm (5/8 inch) in thickness and carrying calculated stress.

(2)  Flame Cutting - Flame cut structural steel according to paragraph 3.2.2 of AWS D1.5, and as specified.

(3)  Visual Inspection and Repair - Visually inspect and repair plate cut edges according to paragraph 3.2.3 of AWS D1.5, and as specified.

(4)  Re-entrant Corners - Fillet re-entrant corners to a radius of at least 19 mm (3/4 1 inch) before cutting.

(5)  Corners and Edges - Round all corners and edges of steel members, or bevel 2 mm (1/16 inch).

Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-19-2010 10:56
Wacobird, thanks for the reply.

If this were the case, how does specifically what parts this needs to happen to get relayed to the shop floor?

I would imagine that would be the detailers responsability to mark that on the shop drawings?  Or else some kind of blanket statement that all plates sheared in the shop will have this done to it?

Chris
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 03-19-2010 12:48
eekpod
I have read specifications that excluded A36 and AISC Specification for Steel Buildings 360-05 in Chapter M has,
3. Planing of Edges
Planing or finishing of sheared or thermally cut edges of plates or shapes is not
required unless specifically called for in the contract documents or included in a
stipulated edge preparation for welding.

The Detailer would have to know what pieces you are going to shear versus thermal cut, So that might be hard.
Marshall
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plane Sheared Edges of Plates??