Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / HYUNDAI WIRE
- - By 52757 (**) Date 03-10-2010 15:55
Our facility is looking at testing out some HYUNDAI wire. Trade name SM-70 it is a AWS A5.18 ER70s-6.Just wondering if anybody out there has any expereince with this brand wire. Good, bad or indifferent.Thanks in advance for any replies.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-10-2010 17:15
Stay with L56

Especially if your doing any short circuiting transfer.

Here is a little thread about my experience with Hyundai ER70S-6
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=96152;hl=HYUNDAI
Parent - By 52757 (**) Date 03-10-2010 17:27
Thank you Lawrence, now that I read that I do remember this post from before. I greatly appreciate your fast response. Any body else please still chime in with any experience. Thank you.
Parent - By 52757 (**) Date 03-19-2010 13:39
Just an update, operator  ran some practice pieces then ran out just the simple V groove test. Bent the samples up, neither face bends nor root bends were acceptable. Going to do some more work with it on machine settings etc and try again. Operator actually liked how it ran but need to try some more.Right now I would say my samples look like Lawrence was stating on his previous thread.(using this on spray arc not short arc).
Parent - - By Pat (**) Date 03-10-2010 17:39
We are nearing the end of the roll of our first, and hopefully last roll of Hyundai .035. This is some of the worst wire I have ever encountered. There are 2 more rolls in the storage cabinet that are marked do not use so the LWS can take them back. When welding with this wire you may be doing fine, then the arc will change. When I am doing an important project, I use some of the Thyssen brand I took in. It is worth the extra time it takes to change the rolls around.  I have also noticed a very large amount of silicon sitting on top of the finished welds. Sometimes it is almost as thick as slag from SMAW. In all fairness I do not know if the increase in silicon is directly related to the wire, or if it may be from the sometimes less than stellar quality of steel we get from the local steel supply.......maybe a combination of both.
Parent - - By 52757 (**) Date 03-10-2010 17:45
Thank you. I am told there are two brands of HYUNDAI one is china made and the other is Korean. Would you and Lawrence happen to remember where yours was made?  Thank You
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 03-10-2010 18:50
thysen is the best we have used.
- - By Pat (**) Date 03-10-2010 22:56

I am unsure of the Hyundai wire origin. I am on my days off, but will check when I go in tomorrow night.

I used to get the Thyssen wire at Airgas, but the last time I needed wire they gave me 2 rolls of Radnor stating they no longer had any Thyssen. I believe Radnor is their house brand, but not sure. The Radnor wire seems to be ok, and who knows, it might even be made by Thyssen. Other than Lincoln (and I am not sure about them) I do not know if there are any other welding wire manufacturers in the US. If I am correct, the last Thyssen wire I purchased was made in Italy.
Parent - By trukfan Date 03-11-2010 20:13
We used a alot of it at my old job. They were cheap a$$es, so I assumed that was why they bought it. I personally never liked it. I probably ran through 30, .035" 44# spools in a year, and every spool welded differently. Always needed larger than normal changes in wire speed and voltage, compared to other wires I've run. That and for the first day or so, it never fed right. It would always rub the gun liner hard enough that you could feel it while welding, even w/ a new, properly sized liner. Led to all kinds of burnback frustrations. Pull off the tip and watch it feed, and as it came out of the lner, it would twist and curl, almost like the first few outer layers of wire were twisted somehow during the rolling process. If I recall, Hyundai wire is South Korean, but I may be mis-remembering that. All I know is that when they switched to some ESAB wire, I was much happier.
- - By Pat (**) Date 03-22-2010 00:14
Sorry I did not get back sooner. When I went to check the country of origin I found that the Hyundai wire we have was made in China. While I was off they put on a new roll of Hyundai and I must admit that this roll seems to be of much better quality than the last roll. Also while I was off Airgas showed up and took the last full roll of Hyundai and left 3 rolls of Pinnacle brand wire. I have never used this brand, and if I get the chance I will load in a roll and give it a try. The country of origin for the Pinnacle is Mexico.
Parent - - By 52757 (**) Date 03-22-2010 12:14
Thanks  Pat. Supplier  claims  Korean is the better  of the wires. Can not confirm that as of right now. We are still testing and running samples.
Parent - By Flash Date 04-03-2010 23:21
SM-70 is a good wire
considering the Hyundai - Korea, are the biggest ship builder in the world, they might know a thing or two about welding
I know a vessel manufacturer that uses it extensively with good success
I have seen it used on Class 1 pipe and vessels for a number of years and there has not been a problem
I can not comment on the bare wire, but I would have thought that would be pretty good as well
hope this helps
R
Flash
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / HYUNDAI WIRE