Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Butt weld Double V Groove cross for hole
- - By DAYANARA (**) Date 03-12-2010 06:27 Edited 03-13-2010 14:19
Dear Friends

The Column (Buid-UP) is drill in center Butt weld, is acceptable?
Is acceptable for AWS or AISC.

I would like your comment about it.

I sorry for me bad writing, because I'm  from Peru.
But attach photo about me question.
Attachment: P1000719.JPG (159k)
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-12-2010 11:23
could you please explain in more detail what your question is?  I don't understand it.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 03-15-2010 14:01
I think all he is asking is are you allowed to drill through a weld.

I am not sure but if the weld was good before the hole was there than I would document that and send it out, but not sure what the code might say.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-22-2010 18:03
AWS D1.1 isn't going to address your situation where you have a hole drilled through a groove weld. Ideally, you would have someone UT the joint before the hole was drilled. I'm not sure what your relationship is with this weld is....(ie inspector, welder who made the weld, etc...), but the Engineer-Of-Record should sign off on the location for that hole. If the EOR doesn't have any problem with it's location, it should be fine.

Raising the question to the EOR is how I would handle it. Also, you might want to grind the faying surfaces flush on the side where something may bolt up.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 03-22-2010 18:38
well, now that I see the picture, that certainly is a hole in the weld.  Nice looking hole in a nice looking weld.

Are the drawings approved?  It is odd to see and I can't say I have ever done it, but if the drawings are appoved then hopefully the engineer did his homework.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-22-2010 18:46
We have had it happen before....saw cuts the material too short and has to be spliced, connection ends up being right where Murphy's law dictates......smack dab in the middle of the connection.

We generally ask permission of the EOR for the splice(if it was our shop's error), and then provide the EOR some help with where the splice could be located by cutting even more material off (if need be) and splicing on a longer piece to locate the splice away from the connection.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-23-2010 10:18
John,
and it's always by 1 foot cause the guy on the saw burned a foot when he stretched his tape out cause the very end of the tape is messed up.  Yup that happens here also :)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Butt weld Double V Groove cross for hole