Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxygen/acetylene hoses
- - By monsoon12 (**) Date 03-23-2010 21:56
What is the life expectantcy of a set of oxygen/acteylene hoses?Thanks in advance.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-23-2010 22:29
Depends on how you treat them, how many hours a day you use them and how you store them after you've used them.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-25-2010 01:22
Sunlight is the killer, don't store them exposed. I have a set in the shop from 1977 that are still OK, but showing their age. They don't get a whole lot of use , havn't been abused.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-26-2010 05:39
That's funny Dave, was gonna say I just replaced a set I bought in 1998(thinking that was a long time) last year but have them still as backups, but 1977!! WoW!!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-27-2010 01:16
That torch set was a graduation present from My Dad.
Parent - - By mtlmster (**) Date 03-28-2010 03:59
I'm using a set I bought in "94", still in good shape.  Have an older set, not sure when I bought them.  And I have a new set, 4 or 5 yrs old.  Use them for extension if needed.  Only been used a couple of times though.  I always outfit them with quick connects on the torch so I can lock it up in the cab of the truck.

Dave, if you got that set upon graduation, assumption High School, you were probably about "18" + 33yrs ago= "51" yrs of age.  I looked at your profile, but didn't see when your birthday is.  Anyway I figured you were younger than that.  Your almost up there with me.

When I first went to work in the model shop in "83" the oxy/acy hose was burned up, cut over, repaired with duct tape, the whole spill.  Worst hoses you ever saw.  I would cut with it and almost everytime a flame would start up out of a cut or leak on the acy side.  Constantly leaking, old worn out regulators, and a torch that had seen better days.  You would think I was asking for eye teeth when I asked for a new set.  The boss just whined and cried because the welder before me didn't have a problem with them.  Probably because he didn't do anything to cause a fire.  Anyway a serious safety violation and I had to mention that in order to get all new stuff.  What about $400.00 for torch, hose and regulator.  Heck of a lot cheaper than a hospital stay.  Anyway some bosses are just too ignorant to do anything else I guess.

That's my gripe of the day.

Steve
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-28-2010 04:33
Im still 50, for a little while anyway. Yes that was High School graduation. I have put up with leaky air hoses, but I don't think I would tolerate oxy or gas leaks.
- By JLWelding (***) Date 03-23-2010 22:41
I really take care of my equip, so I been told by everyone that has worked for me. I have 8 years on my hoses and they just starting to fade a little. I do keep them in the box.
- - By Skaggydog (**) Date 03-23-2010 23:43
A funny thing about rubber, if you use it and keep manipulating it, it will stay supple for a great many years.  If you let it just sit still it will get hard and brittle after a while.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-24-2010 04:30
i still have a set i bought new in 97 and they still work good.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxygen/acetylene hoses