Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME IX Performance - visual coupon examination question?
- - By louis2 (**) Date 03-28-2010 00:53
If I'm reading this right according to 1998 ASME IX QW-303.4 the plate coupons for a welder performance test only get the surfaces of the coupons that will be cut and bent visually examined. All areas of the plate that will be disgarded are not subjected to having to pass the visual exam. This would mean only the front and back of the two 1 1/2" coupon strips get visually evaluated before they are cut out and bent. Is this correct?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-28-2010 05:37
No

Visual examination first. 100 percent, both sides.

The text your discussing refers to destructive testing.. Which is not even performed if the test fails visual.

Your code edition is 12 years old?   Are you required by contract to use that year?
Parent - - By louis2 (**) Date 03-28-2010 15:45
Thank you. I sometimes think they try to make this stuff complicated to decipher. They refer to all the weldments welded for testing purposes as coupons not just the sections cut from them. In that same paragraph they say that for pipe coupons they are visually examined over the entire circumference of the pipe inside and out. That's what got me thinking about the entire plate surface and it said to not look at the sections marked as discard. It also says this is before cutting the test strips. So if you have already visually examined all the plate front and back and it passed and you are now going to cut test strips, why would you put this text in there again about the visual examination and not to look at the pieces marked for discard? I do believe a little a rewrite with some common folks on the committee might help curb some of the confusion.

Quote "Your code edition is 12 years old?   Are you required by contract to use that year?"

No, I'm just a state employed welding instructor that teaches high school students. We have a 6 to 8 thousand dollar budget each year if we're lucky, and we have to purchase metal, filler metals, gases, small tools and other equipment and supplies for up to 54 students each year. We simply can't afford to spend $500.00 on a codebook every two or three years. The ASME gives no educational discount and that's a lot of metal we could be welding on that year.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-28-2010 16:07
Louis...   I understand completely about the budget..  I manage one for a tech college.

I got my Section IX by convincing the library that it's an important thing to have for student research and must be kept up do date with revisions and addenda.  Our library has an enormous budget... This strategy has also worked for acquiring the expensive Hobart institute DVD's we use.

Might be worth a try eh?

Keep up the great work...!   Not many HS students are exposed to code compliance at all.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME IX Performance - visual coupon examination question?